1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The boxing

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Sweats, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Indeed, my bad.

2. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

So - didn't mean you specifically mate, meant the royal you as in everyone reading this.

Can't see Fury fighting Whyte - he has a 5 match deal so will not want to fight anyone that could beat him that Americans haven't heard of. Bet he will be Big Baby's first fight after whatever pathetic ban that he is handed out.

Probably the most interesting "free agent" is Oleksandr Usyk who apparently is going to move up to heavyweight soon. Seeing the London 2012 uperheavyweight gold medallist face the London 2012 heavyweight gold medallist would peak my interest at least.

3. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Yeah I meant AJ will fight Whyte next mate.

4. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Only if he wins the WBC title - Whyte is the highest ranked WBC fighter so would be the mandatory challenger for Wilder if he wins his next fight against Breazeale.

Whyte is facing Oscar Rivas - never heard of the guy but hopefully Whyte proves a point against him.

5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Usyk's fighting Takam on the 25th. A respectable first opponent at a new weight.
    Not somebody that I'd expect to trouble him particularly, but definitely not a total punchbag.

6. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I wouldn’t want to be Takam’s insurer. Bloke must have made a great living from having his head caved in repeatedly.

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

He's only been stopped three times and only two were proper KOs, but when he gets knocked out, he really gets knocked out!
    Povetkin, Joshua and Chisora are all big hitters, though. All three fights are in full on Youtube, too:

8. Tel (they/them)

Usyk is way too small for these lot at the top of the heavyweight pile. He’s giving away about 50lbs to most of them. He should stay in his lane.

9. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Usyk isn't tiny - at 6"3 he is the same size as Haye but has much more ability.

I reckon a smaller heavyweight with skill could be able to do the job in this land of the giants - would love to see him face Fury as I think he'd dismantle him the way Haye was able to against Valuev.

10. Tel (they/them)

That’s a fairly odd opinion, given that Fury is technically superior to Valuev and Haye. Bellew must be around 6”3 as well.

I’d imagine Usyk could bag himself a Dillian Whyte sort of fight and DW would probably take his head clean off.

11. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Usyk to Haye is what Fury is to Valuev - that should tell you how highly I rate Usyk.

Don't think he will have the power at heavyweight but that is not really his tactic despite his stats of 12 KOs in 16 fights - he grinds down his opponents and has great stamina. If he ever faces Fury, I predict it will be a 12 round decision victory for Usyk but that is all conjecture - doubt that Fury will risk a fight like that until he needs to renew his ESPN deal.

Whyte has already said he'd fight Usyk - if Wilder keeps ducking him and Joshua wants to faff around in America then that would probably be the best fight he can make.

12. Tel (they/them)

You really don’t rate Fury do you?

13. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Is more that I rate Usyk really highly even though he hasn't faced a proper heavyweight and I admit it - but that is what fandom is before reality sets in.

I do rate Fury as a boxer - as a person I think he is a **** and I've made no secret about that. I predict he will fight 3 nobodies in the name of "building up his profile" for the next couple of years while cashing it in before he fights someone half decent and start calling out whoever is on top.

Wilder might be forced to face Whyte which will be a fight worth watching but if he wins then he will do bugger all for a couple of years as well.

I predict the same of Joshua as well who will fight have to face random mandatory challengers while this is going on.

Is a sad state of affairs considering how exciting the scene was last year - I'm hoping that the likes of Usyk can rise up throw a spanner into the works or you are correct about ESPN spending big money to make the fights happen so do have a bit of hope at least.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  14. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

15. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Fury vs Whyte for the #1 contender for Wilder's WBC championship has been ordered - finally something logical and worth looking forward to https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/48266479

Fury or Wilder are going to lose their next fights or any of the three will be banned for "eating uncastrated wild boar" or some bullshit aren't they...

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

17. Bwood_Ranger

18. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Not really. He was put down with a shot that would have levelled a rhino.

19. Bwood_Ranger

Alan Breazeale just walked right onto it. Seemed to not be concentrating at all after a quick chat with the ref. You’d expect better in a world title fight.

20. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Was one hell of a punch and a result of great tactics by Wilder - Breazeale is a slow starter who relies on a high guard to block shots rather then movements and Wilder just jumped all over him from the bell and hurt him with a body shot and then was able to catch him before he was able to recover.