1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The business of football

Discussion in 'Watford' started by NZHorn, Jan 16, 2016.

1. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

It has been noted in many places that Home Grown players command higher transfer fees than foreign players. This is because of simple supply and demand models. There are also other rules that distort the various markets involved in football.

I'm sorry about that paragraph. I sound like an academic. What I was thinking about was the bargaining power of Lloyd Dyer (or his agent). I suspect that Dyer is not likely to play for us again. He is also getting on a bit and is unlikely to find a club prepared to match his contract with us. Financially, his best option is to see out his contract. Watford will not want to include him in the list of 25. That puts him in a very strong position if Watford want to pay him off.

So what to do? Presumably Watford will want to find a club for him that will pay him as well as possible and then offer him the difference between the two pay scales. Any club that he goes to will be aware of this and pay him as little as possible, guessing that Watford will pay the difference.

How do clubs get players like him off their wage bill?

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Interesting question.... and we have heard nothing about him for months.....

crazy situation

3. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

That's Bosman for ya. Far too far in the player's and agents favour.

4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We often hear that as professional footballers all they want to do is play, but I feel sure that financial considerations must come into it for many of them. I would wager that many of them have a mortgage that would make our eyes water. He must realise that he is not going to make it in the PL, and there will be a steady reduction in his paydays until he finds something else to do. There are players who will sit tight just to get the cheque each month, but others who will want to prove that they still can offer something. It depends on their character I suppose, but maybe his agent should be looking for a place in the sun that will pay him a decent wage, which has to be better than getting all ready to sit on a cold wet bench through the winter months in England.

5. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

Spain ?

6. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Malaga could be looking for a replacement.:emoticon-0112-wonde

7. brian_66_usa

A " grander"place than that

8. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I guess for him a motivator will be " i have to stay employable for when my contract runs out or i will end up in League 1 etc etc." He is also getting on a bit....

Shame really as i know he was not popular and misunderstood but he was very lively on the pitch and deserves a chance somewhere etc

9. brian_66_usa

Unlike Troy he has and will never be a true Watford player .

10. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

We still have not filled our home grown quota so still 50/50 that he will be in our 25 man squad.

Modern football means you need a good team to train against - act as the opposition will and so fringe players are essential for that unsung work on the training ground to set the 1st team up prepared for the match.

11. brian_66_usa

Ok so i could join the squad (im home grown) and just clog Mr Dyer id not charge the club anything ,