1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Cloudy in rural France, with high level cloud coming from one direction, while that at a lower level is coming the other way. Most of the blossom has now gone over in the woods and hedgerows, mainly the hawthorn still in flower, so my sneezing has subsided. The next thing that will start me off is oilseed rape with its peppery smell. It is one of the popular crops grown on the farms north of here, where you will see acres of it. Not much closer to home as the terrain is too hilly and the fields too small, although the field behind mine some years has a late sowing. Looks as though some showers are forecast for the weekend, so must try and get some peas in today. Have a good day whatever you can do. <ok>

2. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

Been on Jury Service for last two weeks released now

Only one case involved with and that was a child abuse case, the defendants pleaded guilty at the last minute and the Judge apologised for possibly wasting our time but said he was relived we did not have to endure the evidence that would have been presented to us at the trial

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    yorkshirehornet likes this.
  3. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Thank your lucky stars...

I would hate to be on a jury in such a case.

4. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Afternoon all.

Hope all my fellow Hornets are still buzzing along with the promotion vibe as I certainly am.

It is hot here, 33 most days and dry as a bone. The rains SHOULD come soon and hopefully they will be slow and sustained as the reserviours are drying up here in many parts of the country.

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Grey and damp here without any sign of it actually raining. We are expecting some relaxation on travel restrictions to be announced today, although they have been heavily trailed in the press. Slowly, slowly seems to be the message, and although there are comments about basic human rights to do as we please, more are saying that the rush to the coast can wait a bit longer. Even those who work in the holiday business seem to be saying that they will wait a little while longer rather than have a stop start situation again. I expect that I might get a different picture if I read a different newspaper. Have a good day whatever you can do. <ok>

6. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Morning all jab two today.....

Interesting converation with our youngest daughter , 25, who says she wont have it as there, apparently, is some evidence that it can cause miscarriages......

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. It is a not quite sure what the weather is going to do type of morning. Some cloud, a little blue sky and not that warm. Public holiday today and even the large supermarkets do not open, but the baker has still been good enough to put some bread in our machine. From next Monday I will be able to travel across the regions, meaning that I will be able to visit my favourite garden centre and Mme will be able to go to the shop that sells really good smoked haddock. As visits to events, football etc. open up slowly, it will be necessary to have a pass sanitaire to prove that you have had the vaccinations or taken recent tests. Lots more places such as bars and restaurants that have outside terraces will be able to open again from 19th May. Maybe we will be able to share a meal with some friends again. Have a good three points day all. <ok>

8. yorkshirehornet

Fond memories of Canary Dave as Norwich clinch the title....
    ..<bubbly>

9. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Just the way he would have wanted it!

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Afternoon all. Rather late today as veggies were needed for today and the way the cloud keeps rolling in I wasn't sure if more rain was coming along. Checked the water butts while I was down there and they are all 100% full. I really need to get back to doing more otherwise we will not have a plentiful supply of greens, beans and peas. Some are growing but others failed to germinate. I have had this problem before and believe that seed does not last very long out here despite what it says on the packet. Keeping a close eye on the rhubarb as it looks as though there are almost enough stems for a pie or crumble. Have to make do with some strawberries today. It is a hard life. Enjoy your day. <ok>

Toby likes this.

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A light breeze and a blue sky, and the temperature is just about right for getting on outside. Today we have been given our freedom back a bit to travel across the regions without carrying a piece of paper to say where we are off to and for what reason. The 7.00 pm curfew is still in place, but that really doesn't stop us from going out. The next date in the relaxation is the 19th when we can go for an outside meal with up to six people at a table. Plans are being made for a visit to our favourite restaurant with four friends. I am sure the owners will be pleased to see us again. Have a good day whatever you can do. <ok>

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Grey, windy and rain expected this afternoon. Yesterday I found myself caught up in a smuggling operation without realizing what was going on. A small package from my son-in-law was popped into our letter box, which had a customs declaration on it to say it was a CD and sweets. When it was given a shake it sounded a bit like sweets, but no idea why he would want to send me any. When I opened it I found that the sweets were in fact a packet of runner bean seeds, something I buy from the UK because they are not sold here. Some sellers in the UK have stopped selling seeds here while others are still trying to, but the costs that they now have to add on are beyond belief. So just as I had thought that I wouldn't grow any this year the plans have to be revised. Life in these parts is now becoming like an episode of Poldark or a chapter from Jamaica Inn. Have a good day. <ok>

Toby likes this.
  13. yorkshirehornet

Love it.... enjoy!!

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and breezy and not very warm outside. Off on a shopping trip to a garden centre or two today. A chance to exercise my newly restored freedom to cross regional boundaries. It will be Mme's birthday shortly and she would like another clematis, so she can come and choose one to her liking. She already has a series of them that start flowering in the early spring, through the summer, but would like an autumn one to keep some colour in the garden. Le Blanc will be the first place to try, followed by going across country to Chateauroux if nothing found. If still not successful there are two more to try at Argenton sur Creuse on the way back. I am sure we will come back with something, if not a clematis. Have a good day whatever you do. <ok>

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Wet and windy in these parts today, so any thoughts of outside jobs can be forgotten. A very enjoyable trip out yesterday. The road from Le Blanc to Chateauroux runs alongside la Creuse river and the old railway line that was probably closed down 50 years ago. The track has been lifted and a tarmac pathway/cycle track laid for about 10 miles, but there are still the gatekeepers cottages where there were level crossings. Very small two roomed buildings they have been bought up, extended and now have been put to good use. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

16. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

We've cycled a few re-purposed old railway lines in France , but in truth the country lanes are so plentiful, and very safe, the railway lines aren't as necessary as here. Not that we have ever seen many French casual cyclists. The the railway lines are most handy for avoiding gradients. The best one got us across some quite hilly terrain in Normandy where we were travelling against the grain' as it were.
    The repurposed railway lines have a habit of finishing in he middle of absolutely nowhere!
    Nice to be reminded though of happy times past - beyond our reach now.

17. Bolton's Boots

Apropos of nothing at all - there was a Channel 5 documentary series called Walking Britain's Lost Railways which started in 2018. The first episode of series 1 was the Moray Line, which starts in Elgin and ends in our little village. All that's left of it are the stations at either end.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and a bit warmer than the past few days as the wind has dropped. Temperature tomorrow forecast to be about 26°C, so it is no wonder that people get colds with all the changes. Looked at the clock and found it is running 15 minutes slow. New battery required and I haven't found a AA, just lots of AAA's. If only I had known I could have bought some yesterday. Have a good day whatever you will be doing. <ok>

19. Bolton's Boots

:emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer:<bubbly><bubbly><bubbly><ale><ale><ale>:emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer:<bubbly><bubbly><bubbly><ale><ale><ale>:emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0168-drink

Drinks on me folks - my constituency for the Scottish Parliament has just been declared and my girl won (I call her 'my girl' as I've been helping her campaign for the last fortnight). SNP on track for a fourth consecutive term of government.

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Looks like a Watford situation. Hang on and hope the ref blows for time. Still a win is a win. :emoticon-0137-clapp