1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Cloudy but dry so I might get to strim back all of the long grass that is overhanging the path that I use to get to the fields. Being very aware of tics and how animals leave them on the grass, I try to keep the access clear. The lady from the waterboard eventually left yesterday without finding my neighbours stopcock. I am not that surprised as the one across the road that serves this house has disappeared beneath the tarmac and stone that was used when our roads were all resurfaced. I suspect that she might return with a metal detector to try and find it. Meanwhile another set of builders are now at work on an English couples holiday home roof. Last year they came over and did some repairs to it, but did a bodged job and made matters worse. A local builder now has his scaffolding erected and is doing it correctly. Have a good day whatever you will do. <ok>

andytoprankin, Hornet-Fez and Toby like this.
  2. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright blue sky again and quite warm once more. An early start as Mme. had an appointment with the vampires in town at 8.30 am. At least one can now retire to a bar afterwards for coffee and pastries. Weeks shopping done in record time, a spot of banking, a visit to a garden centre and home for a cup of tea. Despite these things 30 kms away, they are finished and it is still morning. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

andytoprankin likes this.
  3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and cloud looks like it will be the order of the day, but more rain expected tomorrow. I don't mind some wet afternoons during the next three weeks as I can watch the annual Tour de France that gets underway today. It is not a usual first day as the route is quite hilly and almost 200 kms long. A short flat stage normally gets things underway, with a bunch sprint at the end. I expect many of the genuine sprinters will be puffing home in the pack today. Good luck to Robert Page and the Welsh team as they take on Denmark. It looks difficult, but this is football when anything can happen. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Heavy rain and thunderstorms across the whole region today. Talking to friends earlier they were at one point being drowned out by the banging overhead. I think it is safe to say I will not be going very far, and watering is not required. Planning a trip to the large DIY store in Limoges tomorrow to buy a whole list of things I need. Comparing products and costs it looks like a €60 trip, so a bar lunch might be put on hold seeing as we have a lunch time meal planned with friends later in the week. It will be a year since we met up at our favourite restaurant, so something to look forward to. Have a good day whatever the weather. <ok>

5. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  6. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright blue sky and so much better than yesterday when it was gloomy all day. Three lots of good news from France today. 1. Only 42 new cases of covid admitted to hospital Sunday with less requiring treatment than anytime since last October. 2. The far right challenge of le Pen seen off with ease in the regional elections; in fact she did less well than last time. Turnout terrible mind you, rather like a county council election in the UK. 3. No crashes in the Tour de France and spectators giving the riders far more space. Looking forward to my drive across the Monts d'Ambazac as I go DIY shopping. The hills are not that high, 700 M max, but high enough to have signs telling you what you cannot do when there is snowfall. They have also had to erect several miles of fencing to prevent the wild boar coming down the hills and wandering across the autoroute. A scenic outing if you are not in a hurry. Have a good day whatever you intend to do. <ok>

7. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

The closest the tour has ever come to us (2016 I an amazed to see) was Le Dorat, where there was an intermediate sprint.
    We had a nice day out.
    We also happened to be in Pau (on our trusty Tandem) when the tour arrived ( Bradley's year). Terrific atmosphere in the old city. We sat next to Jalalalalabert in a restaurant. Huge fun. The following day was a rest day, and we left on our journey back to Bordeaux - through the Armaganc region. Anyway, as we rolled along, a peloton of 6-7 flew past ( Stephen Roche's team ,chocolate and blue). I thought they might stop and have a chat. ! Sadly not. Anyway, I discovered how you can tell a tour rider from any other cyclist - racing ot otherwise. They are thinner than the bikes.
    Some years before we turned up in Nimes on a tour of Provence , ( a figure of 8 via Uzes - beautiful town) only to find all these camera crews . The tour was coming to town, and all the support staff were staying in our hotel. For some strange reason they didn't film us, even though we were in full lycra. Happy days.

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Well what a surprise, it is cloudy and damp again. A successful shopping trip yesterday with everything that the website said was in stock actually in stock. It doesn't always happen. You see an item that you want, yet when you get there an empty shelf. A one way system still in place, meaning that you have a very long walk if you miss where they are hiding something the first time round. Still I need the exercise and it is all worthwhile as only 509 new cases of the virus were reported yesterday. So with an almost amazing speed, football is no longer talked about with the Tour underway to replace it. Should England fail to progress no doubt tennis will suddenly become the major point of interest until all British players leave the scene. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

9. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and showers forecast throughout the day, so do what you can while it is dry is the message. A friend in the next village bought one of the houses we looked at when we decided to buy one out here. Her husband now in his middle eighties is very ill in hospital, and possibly will not recover despite getting the best treatment available. Although living in France for twenty years our friend has failed to learn the language despite trying quite hard. As she doesn't drive she has needed help to visit the hospital and it is quite amazing to see just how many people are supporting her at such a difficult time. Thankfully there are still lots of people who are prepared to give assistance when needed in these small communities. Have a good day. <ok>

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright, sunny and warm, though not too warm. Today is the day we have waited for a year to happen. A meet with some of the football friends at our favourite restaurant. We have kept in touch throughout with zoom, texts, e-mail and phone calls, but it is not the same as sitting round a table and just chatting. The husband and wife team who run the restaurant have survived thanks to government support, and have found that their customers have returned. People do go there for special occasions as it is such good quality food, but being mid-week the full gastronomic menu will not be available. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. The sun is out again, it is going to be very warm, and no rain forecast. A splendid day out yesterday with our friends. En route to restaurant English car off road in ditch,clearly been there some time, and 500 metres further on lots of flashing emergency lights as another car had attempted to climb a tree. One couple were late arriving as they had gone to the wrong restaurant, and Mme. was covered in apricot fruit juice which is a tale in itself. The restaurant was full, amazing for a Thursday lunch time, and the food was super, although it would not have appealed to some on here. Back to friends house to see what they have been doing to their outside buildings and lots of talk for several more hours. A lovely day after so long. Have a good day all. <ok>

13. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Hola a todos,

The rains continue here like I've never seen. Slow & steady & overcast for the last two weeks. I hope it continues. Everywhere is green & I assume that the suffering reservoirs are slowly filling up.

Off to the market in a bit for BBQ things for tomorrow after the England game.

Off to Zihua in 3 week's time for a week & fishing, cannie wait.

Hope all are well.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and occasional showers says the forecast, but the actuality is no sun as yet and rain running down the lane like a river. I have a feeling that the varnish I am applying to a potting shed table top might get finished today. Still there is the Tour later to keep me occupied. Have a good day whatever the weather. <ok>

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and showers with a stiff breeze in rural France today. It was a great pity that on their first day in the mountains heavy rain stopped us seeing the best of the countryside as the Tour followed the riders up some very long, steep climbs. I hope it is a bit better today. We had a holiday in the Alps one year, and it was spoilt by thunderstorms that rolled round and round the mountains, and just as you thought it was finished it would come back again. The same thing happened in the UK when we stayed in the Mendip Hills and seemed to have storms every evening. The cottage in Somerset had a garden full of strawberries, nothing else, so they did make up for the weather. Have a good day whatever the weather. <ok>

16. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Morning all... wet here this morning after a weekend of thunderstorms... Off to see friends at Yorkshire Sculture Park... and prepping up for our departure to La France on Friday... we have our home antigen kits and we have to photograph the results and email to the supplier who then email us back a nice certificate.....

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Cloudy and windy, but as yet no rain. Lots of activity around with tradesmen and neighbours out doing their thing. Hope all goes well at the weekend Yorkie. A few reports of grumpy officials at the border giving Brits a hard time on their reasons to enter the country. I just hope that Johnson doesn't make matters worse, and further restrictions are imposed for would be travellers who have a reason to come here. No Tour today, they need a rest after yesterday climbing some very big mountains in pouring rain and a temperature of only 8°C at the top. Team cars were kept busy handing out gloves to the riders. Have a good day whatever you have planned. <ok>

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A busy day yesterday getting various repair jobs done in the expectation that it was going to dry up a bit and I could do some much needed gardening today. 11 pm and the TV signal was lost because the heavens had opened and everywhere was given a right soaking for half an hour. Reading the French press reports on the latest news from the UK about removing covid restrictions, it was pointed out that countries such as Norway, Holland, Spain and Italy are all tightening restrictions at the first signs that numbers are moving in the wrong direction. The readers comments were interesting. Being a country that likes a good debate, the discussion revolved around what was government for if not to deal with major problems? I think it is fair to say that the readers are bemused at the position that the PM is taking. Oh well, currently dry so better get the wellies out and go for a squelch. Have a good day everyone.

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and showers forecast, and we have had both. Granddaughter received her Bacs results yesterday and was over the moon with them and the"mention Tres Bien". With 20 out of 20 for her grand oral exam as well she has done very well I think, although I still struggle to understand the system. The Tour climbs Mont Ventoux not once but twice today, 4,500 m at the summit. Met an English cyclist halfway up the easier side of the climb one day who had trained in the Derbyshire dales in preparation. He told me that nothing in England could give you an inkling of what would lie ahead. It is like being on the moon when you reach the top. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

Toby and yorkshirehornet like this.
  20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Variable is the way that the Météo describe the weather when it seems they are not sure what will happen, and it looks like it could be one of those days. Forced my way along the green lane to the fields yesterday afternoon and found a bumper crop of harricot vert hiding amongst the weeds. Although they have enjoyed the wet weather I almost despair as I look around seeing the work I put in a couple of weeks ago is now hardly noticeable. At least I can watch the Tour for an afternoon without thinking I should be weeding. Have a good day everyone. <ok>