1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

ah brilliant!

My first was a honda175 in 69..... another bad buy sadly.... spur of the moment passing a shop....

2. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Honda CB250 K4 for me. Six bikes in total, on my 4th car.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Showers forecast and they have just started. Bread machine baker is on holiday, so a trip to the nearest shop in the small town I don't often go to across the departmental border. Being a Saturday the van was there selling goats cheese from the local farm. The cheeses are superb and the farmer has built quite a following. He used to set up a trestle table by the boot of his car, but last year he was able to invest in a proper sales van. Young, semi-mature and mature they are all very tasty, and it is helpful to buy from a local source. Have a good day wherever you might be. <ok>

Hornet-Fez and yorkshirehornet like this.
  4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A damp miserable sort of morning with a mizzle making everything damp. Talking to a friend who lives in the small town 10 kms away Mme was told that there has been a sudden influx of English people who have bought houses and are intending to live in them full time. One of the bars there has been turned into a bistro and the restaurant that shut a couple of years ago has been bought by the commune is to be modernised with a chef found who will run it. After a steady decline the latest census figures suggest that things are on the up. Have a good day whatever you have planned. <ok>

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Another wet day, and cool enough to go into long sleeved shirts. Every time I start to work on my fields I get rained off, and what little achieved is wasted after the wait for it to dry out. The brambles are loving it, and each time I walk along the green lane to the fields have to cut them back, especially the ones at eye level. Still the rain has brought about a lovely crop of cauliflowers. Bought one that had arrived in the supermarket on Friday that according to the box had been harvested the previous evening. Really fresh, and cheap, just right for several cauliflower cheeses. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

6. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

I acquired a Mobylette to get to work in a library for a few months. 2-stroke. I only ever drove it at full throttle - - still under 30mph as it meant I could use it on a car license. Umpty-tump miles to the 1/2 gallon in the tank. Went from Nottingham to Brum one day to visit a uni friend from school. Drove back at 3 in the morning - quiet roads those days. Very useful for trips to get indian/chinese takeaways .
    My first cat - Bumble - ( A Standard 10 with a sunshine floor) is worthy of a whole thread to itself. Later.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Would you like to explain what sort of cat has a sunshine floor? :emoticon-0102-bigsm

8. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Sorry - CAR - not cat. ( However, very few cat breeds are called Standard 10 !)

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and sunny and it was a great night out under a large bright moon. A French style wedding and the reception was held in a garden well lit with a mass of fairy lights. Food in abundance, a never ending flow of wine, and chatter in a mix of French and English. Managed to impress my two granddaughters as they quizzed me on the music being played at the disco. Queen, Paul Simon, Neil Diamond and even Johnny Hallyday were known to me. Good job we didn't have any of this modern techno stuff. Have a good day one and all. <ok>

Hornet-Fez and Toby like this.
  10. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

To be honest, I'd be more impressed if your granddaughters knew who Johnny Hallyday was - even though he was having hit records posthumously.

11. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

I have just discovered that Quest TV is showing highlights of all Carabou Cup matches tonight at 1030pm, seemingly they do this each round.
    Freely available on all UK platforms and on the web but you need to create an account.

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A misty start to the day, but the sun is coming along and will soon burn it off. Mobile phone has to go. It is old, a very cheap one, but yesterday one text message took the battery from half full to zero. Seeing as I only use it for text messages, an occasional phone call and an even rarer connection to the internet, there is no way I will be upgrading to something with all the bells and whistles that I will never use. Looking on the internet I am told that changing it every year is the norm. Not for me! Have a good day all. <ok>

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A lovely blue sky and a warm afternoon is forecast. My very late sowing of French beans is doing well with a mass of flower. Just need the insects to do their bit now. Received an e-mail yesterday telling me that I am a vulnerable person and need to be sure to get my booster vaccination six months after the second one, which will be in November. I cannot say that I feel greatly vulnerable, but statistics say that I am. Better slow down or something. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Some sunshine this morning, but occasional showers forecast for later. Our personal waste disposal bins were delivered yesterday, one black for general rubbish and one yellow for recyclable things. The idea is to charge each household for the amount of rubbish they generate, and I was told that you only get charged when the bin is full and the dustmen have to empty it. Our general rubbish is small in quantity so I hope that we will pay less, but we do have quite a bit of recyclable stuff that could cost us more. At least the yellow bin is larger than the black one. I was also offered a free compost bin, but as I have two already that I never fill, declined the kind offer. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

15. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Good morning all. Glad to see that the Nest appears to be free of superfluous invaders at last! Thought I would just pop and in say to those few very discerning readers of Winfrith novels that there is a sixth volume now available on Kindle ( amazon.co.uk/dp/B09H35M375 ) and also in a paperback edition (only just appeared so this link may not be active yet - amazon.co.uk/9798483633907 ).

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning Theo. Hope that all is well with you. Did you have much cricket to watch over the summer, or were you too busy typing?

17. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

Morning OFH...first three games were off limits which left four Championship games to watch. Great to be back watching with a couple of friends, even if Hampshire didn't quite manage to claim the title in the end. Summer did involve some writing, but quite a lot of walking and entertaining three grandchildren too! My older daughter has now become a resident of a small village in southern France between Toulouse and Narbonne so we'll perhaps get there before too much longer. Good local vineyards apparently! Hope you're well and your fields are flourishing!

18. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Cheers theo - just added to your coffers by downloading the Kindle version. :)

19. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

Thanks BB. Hope you enjoy it. It's kept my remaining brain cells occupied for the best part of 2 years now! If you have time to write a review, however brief, it would be much appreciated.

20. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Greetings :)