1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Good day all.... a sunny even warm walking day oop in Yorkshire.......

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunny and very frosty still. It is fine while you are in the sun, but very cold when you move into the shade. I watched Chateauroux playing last night from the comfort of my settee, with the wood burner keeping my feet warm. They were playing Avranches which is 380 kms away up on the Channel coast, and is a five hour journey. There were a few camera shots of the stand where the away fans go, and I counted them all. Two. The temperature was 0°C at kick off and to have travelled that far to sit in a freezing cold stadium shows a degree of devotion, if not madness when they could have sat at home as I did and watched. It must have been a very long five hour return trip after the 3-0 defeat. Have a good day everyone, and let's hope that our travelling fans are better rewarded for a long journey. <ok>

3. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A real hoar frost and fog this morning. It looks picturesque through the window, but step outside and you think that you should have stayed in the house. We have loads of winter flowering jasmin in the garden that we expect to be showing the small yellow flowers at this time of year, but I do wonder if the daffodils have made the right decision to start opening? Have a good day everyone. <ok>

5. yorkshirehornet

Good day....a slow one after the excitement of a newcastle adventure yesterday.... someone sitting in the Yorkshire horns group teseted poitive this morning... so a slightly angsty few days ahead.... I wore my mask for most of the game.... about the one i a hundred who did...

6. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Why I am not attending away games this season. Let alone the travel, bad enough going to home matches.

7. Bolton's Boots

The folly of football...

Hope all goes well for you.

8. yorkshirehornet

Good morning all.... a covid free start....apparently omicron shows up very quickly so fingers crossed

Have a good one

Mexican Hornet and andytoprankin like this.
  9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. The frost and fog have gone, but it is slightly warmer because of the light rain. Granddaughter has been pinged on her app to say that she has been in contact with someone who has the virus, so off to get a PCR test this morning. The French character is changing with orderly queues outside the baker, pharmacy or testing stations. Not something you noticed before this virus, a scrum to be the first in line was the norm. Must go and join the bakers queue as our machine does not get filled on a Monday. Hope the app on my phone does not ping me. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

andytoprankin likes this.
  10. Bolton's Boots

I'll never forget the first time I used a bus in Munich. When I arrived at the bus stop there was no queue - waited for five minutes until the bus appeared - still no queue. When it pulled up at the stop and the doors opened, it was as though the interior was a vacuum - people suddenly appeared from nowhere and were sucked in, leaving me slightly nonplussed. I guessed then that queuing was just a British thing.

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

18 year old granddaughter tested positive when she went for her test at the lab this morning. Six of her friends at Uni went ice skating a week ago, and they all now have it. No symptoms, but has to have another test Saturday. She is isolating with her flat mate who was one of the six.

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and breezy and still cold. Will have to do some shopping today, something put off from last week, as the wine rack is looking rather bare. Just been looking at the supermarket's website to see if there are any decent offers on, and I might be lucky if they have not all gone. 30% off, or buy two and get the third one free all helps to get you through a Watford game. Have a good day all. <ok>

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Grey, damp and cold, so have been busy on the heating jobs. First day of the new rubbish collection system. Two bins have been provided, recyclable and rubbish. You put them out when full, and only get charged when they empty them. Each bin has a microchip so they can read where it came from. None from here, so a cheap week. We will see how it works out. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

14. Bolton's Boots

Feeling a bit maudlin today - it looks like the end is nigh for our beloved old Border Collie. She has gone downhill rapidly over the last 2/3 months - arthritic hips mean the muscles in her hind legs are wasting away, to the point that she can no longer climb the steps into the garden; she's diabetic and needs two injections daily, has gone blind and is now becoming incontinent. I suspect it will be down to me to take her to the vet for the last time, and also suspect I will need a box of tissues when I do - am certainly not looking forward to it one little bit. :emoticon-0106-cryin

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I feel for you BB. I have had to do that several times and it is upsetting. I would love to have another dog but apart from travelling with them from here to the UK, which can be a costly affair, the final visit to the vet gives me second thoughts.

Hornet-Fez and duggie2000 like this.
  16. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

It sounds like time to say goodbye, probably best sooner rather than later alas. :emoticon-0106-cryin One of the reasons we haven't had a dog, not a day we'd look forward to. Feel for you.

duggie2000 likes this.
  17. Bolton's Boots

Thanks. I think you're right - but my problem is persuading my wife and daughter. They both work full time so don't get to watch her as much as I do.

And more bad news today - my son in Madrid just contacted us to say he has tested positive. "Very much like a cold" - I hope it stays that way...

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

My granddaughter who has tested positive, slept for eleven hours yesterday, but feels better today. My daughter and the other two girls have both tested negative today, so fingers crossed they have avoided it.

19. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

No, it’s not about queuing. It’s about German punctuality. See if this explains it.
    A friend of mine worked for Siemens. In U.K. He was sent to some factory in Germany for a few weeks. First day, settled in, large open plan office with screens slightly above head height when sitting down. Anyway, work finished at 1630. As he sat down at his desk at 1625 he noticed everyone at their desk, head down, all beavering away. Hmm he thought, they are a committed bunch here. He looked up at just after 1630 - office was completely empty. They all stopped on the dot of 1630 and exited the office. He never heard a thing!

20. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

This may be true in industry Bodbo but when it comes to public services German punctuality is a myth - believe me.