1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Well.
    Here we are. Stinking of fags I haven't smoked and not a little bit pissed TBH
    Best I left it here...

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Warm and sunny, and there are dozens of vapour trails across the cloudless sky. According to the latest inflation figures for France, April saw a 3.8% rise in the price of food, with services driving up overall inflation to 4.8%, the highest since 1985. By June this is expected to rise further to 5.4%. Fuel at the pumps is having quite an effect, although the government aid has helped and people are just using their cars less. The distribution companies however are having to pass increased costs on, so buying locally is something that can help those on low budgets. Cooking oil is still in short supply with customers restricted to one bottle each at some supermarkets. I did notice that one of the small restaurants in town had increased their three course midday plat du jour by €1. It appears to be a worldwide problem, that different countries are dealing with in their own ways, but here as elsewhere it is the poorest who are feeling the pinch the most. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Hot and steamy now, with a warning that thunderstorms are likely to be coming this afternoon. Alongside our bread dispenser a second one has appeared, selling things such as milk, butter, cheese and hams. It is refrigerated, so the dairy products should keep despite being in the sun most of the day. The items are very expensive compared with even a small grocer's shop, but judging by the empty compartments some people have found it useful. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Looks as though summer has arrived. No storms here as forecast, but other parts of the country did have them. Twenty odd years ago when we first bought our home here, the first thing we needed was a letter box. We found a very tasteful country cottage style one that we bought and I attached to the front of the house. This was not to the liking of the then post lady, and we would arrive back from England with hand written notes from her telling us to get a standard one. Eventually we did, but the old one became a home for nesting wasps. Having driven them out I taped the openings to prevent their return. Our existing post lady delivered something this morning, and as I went to retrieve it, a wasp flew out and attacked me. If it had been a large cheque made out to me I might have found a sting worth the discomfort, but it turned out to be an election leaflet for an election I cannot vote in. Such is life. :emoticon-0101-sadsm Have a good day everyone. <ok>

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A scorcher today is expected, with the temperature already 27°C. One of the problems with the hot weather is that you have doors and windows open in the hope of catching a spot of breeze. Although insects are kept out with a fly screen, it doesn't prevent something larger forcing a low level entry. So it turned out yesterday when we returned from town, and found small Sid, who lives in the garden with large Sid, basking in the sun behind the closed French windows. He must have slithered in before we went out. He is a totally harmless snake, about 2'.0" long, but very quick if it senses danger. Before I could grab him he shot behind a bookcase, and later in the evening Mme. spotted a tail disappearing under the settee. He is still there somewhere, but the door is open to his normal hunting ground, the garden. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

6. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Afternoon all. Been trying to get some jobs done before it gets hotter, and yesterday I baked as I waited for Mme outside the hospital, who had gone for a check up on her knee. The consultant said he thought she needed to get her hip sorted as the x-rays showed it to be worse than her knee. She is now booked in for a replacement hip in the middle of July, much sooner than either of us expected. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

7. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Hola a todos,

I feel more recovered after a grim start to the year. Got a holiday booked for the summer and my mother is coming over, so that should be good.

It is hot as hell here still. We are all waiting on the rains. This year I've had the roof painted with waterproof paint to stop a tiny bit of mould we had. Probably won't rain this year now!

Hope all are well!

8. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

All the best....

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  9. yorkshirehornet

Just spent a few days in Anglesey... a first visit....and off to France in the morning

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Maybe a degree or two cooler today, although not a great deal. As usual the heat will continue to increase for a few days, then there will be thunderstorms. Where people or the council have cut the grass it is now yellow, while the leaves on the trees are hanging on, but looking limp. There has been some talk about water restrictions for the farmers which is not good while there is a shortage of grain coming out of Ukraine. I am so far behind with my gardening I still have six 350 litre water butts full. I tried to do some more yesterday afternoon, but over heated, and didn't really cool down all evening. Not a good idea. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

11. Hornet-Fez

Was there last year, love the place. But we stayed in Rhyl and drove over. Did you find a decent enough place to stay?

12. yorkshirehornet

We stayed in a little inn in Beaumaris.... expensive.... but OK.... Great island....

13. Hornet-Fez

Yes we've heard that excellent to very good accommodation is hard to find on the island. It's why I asked. Beaumaris is my favourite castle thus far visited.

14. yorkshirehornet

We liked this little one:
    Castell Aberlleiniog
    http://www.castlesfortsbattles.co.uk/north_wales/castell_aberlleiniog.html

When we were looking for accommodation about three weeks before we planned to go...there was virtually nothing

15. Hornet-Fez

That's what we've found. When we last visited we got up at "crack of sparrow" and got there for breakfast time. Looking forward to our next trip up.
    We're going to Scotland for a few days next weekend. Castles, Glasgow and a submarine base.

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. The rain forecast hasn't arrived, no doubt saving itself for next week when the French Open tennis should be underway. Mme wonders if some of the female tennis players start intensive training at too young an age, resulting in injury and retirement from the game. In the past players certainly played until they were much older, but didn't have to have the speed that the modern game requires, or have a season that goes on throughout the year almost with a break. Trying to make a living from it must create a lot of mental pressure if you are good enough to play the circuit, where there is little money, and being a top twenty player in the large tournaments. It is a bit like having a contract with Man. City, or one with Oldham. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Already pretty warm and expected to be in the thirties this afternoon. My English part time neighbour was at the door yesterday seeking advice on his damp problem. Their house has been locked up for two and a half years, and now as they have finally managed to return they find everywhere very wet. After a very rainy couple of months at the start of the year, I suspect that the water table where he lives is high, and the damp is rising up through the floor and walls. Opening up the double glazed windows and doors to get the ventilation going seems to be the best bet, so I suspect he will be off to get some fly screens, something that all of us full timers know to install if we don't want insects creating a nuisance. I will pop around later to see how things are going. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. An early start before it warms up this afternoon. Sometimes you wonder if things are meant to be. Middle daughter and husband had eurotunnel tickets going back before coronavirus, that were still valid until the end of this year. Thursday they arrived with the motor home and were off to explore the northwestern coast before heading south to see us for a few days. Found a camp site overlooking the sea, protected from off sea wind by sand dunes. Yesterday morning taking dog for a walk along the dunes, her foot went down a rabbit hole, and daughter finished up in a heap. Result; twisted ankle and broken wrist. She has no French, but said that the nurses in A & E used their school learned English to tell her what was going on. She now has a very neat plaster on her arm and an x-ray picture of her wrist. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

19. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Troy has a documentary about the dearth of black history taught in Schools. Channel 4 10pm. I will post an article about it in due course.

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A big electric thunderstorm last night lighting up the sky in spectacular fashion for several hours. It brought an end to the ever increasing temperature, and today it is far more comfortable, but also raining. Each year I transplant foxgloves out of my vegetable patch to other parts of the fields as I want to keep them, simply because they attract the wild bees that love them. Although they have grown where I put them, they still return in large numbers to where they are not so welcome. They are quite a good example of not being able to organise nature without in some part destroying it. Have a good day everyone. <ok>