1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Hola a tod@s,

Off to the coast and fishing for 3 days.

Time to disconnect and rehydrate to dilate the mind state of this primate.

Take care y'all.

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and showers today, but there is not so much wind about to send the leaves spinning from the trees. On a day when all the forecasts suggest there will be further cuts to public services in the UK, I think I am lucky to have a good library only a kilometre away. It is attached to the town hall and has all the sections you would hope for, including some shelves with books in English and German. There is the childrens area with materials available for them to do some colouring in of pictures, as well as lots of books that will encourage them to read. The library also serves as the media centre where you can get a photocopy for €0.05 or spend time on the computer free of charge. Seeing as it serves a small population it is very well used, and is happy to accept books that you have finished with. A valuable resource that costs very little to run. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and breezy but not that warm. It seems that we are being pushed like it or not into a world where a smart phone is an essential requirement for living. Mme now needs one to carry out some banking, so looking around for something cheap, and not as large as mine, I searched Amazon UK to see what was available. Found one small and light that will go in her handbag. The reviews were mainly positive, a good first phone suitable for children, with good battery life. So checked it out on Amazon FR. This phone is rubbish, no battery life, do not buy. So who to believe? What is the difference I wonder between the French and English mobile phone user? Why also are they getting larger and heavier with the small ones not being produced? We will need a seperate bag to carry them around again before too long. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  4. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

OFH I recommend getting refurbished phones, you usually get decent deals. Get a decent model but 2nd hand and it'll last a while.

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. It really has turned quite chilly, so I had a delve and came up with a jumper that I hadn't worn since goodness knows when. It was only when I went to put it on that I remembered why it was not more used. A neckhole that is designed to remove both ears and your nose as you pull it down has a design fault in my opinion. I think my ears have friction burns and it will have to come off this evening. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

6. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Up to a remote cottage in Swaledale this week........ maybe get a dash of snow........ will have limited signal etc..... taking our new electric bikes

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Cold, 7°C, and some showers. Some of the heating is now on, but trying to save electricty where we can. The government produced a list of things to help you save, most of them fairly obvious. We will be in England this time next week so will be getting some of the cold weather gear out. Not looking forward to it, but will see all of the family which is good. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

8. yorkshirehornet

Enjoy your trip...and if you are our way with time on your hands.... unlikely I know....

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Grey, damp and chilly, the sort of day to stay in, but another trip with Mme to the physio. There is an item in the French news today abut the billions of euros the drought and heatwave has cost the insurance companies. Many properties are built on land with a great deal of clay in it, and this has shrunk causing homes to become damaged. This is the second year in a row this has happened, and is put down to climate change. No doubt this cost will be passed on when the next bill arrives for home insurance. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and sunny, but far from warm. I have gone back into a short sleeved shirt for one day only as we are off to get our flu jabs today. Could have had them weeks ago, but didn't get round to collecting them from the pharmacy. Here you collect them, then take them to your injector of choice. I am never sure how effective they are, being designed around last years strain, but think it only fair to have them if it helps to distinguish between the flu and covid that is still around. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Grey, damp and blustery. Today I must get and defrost our freezer that is out in the barn. It acts as an overflow one for garden vegetables, but is not really needed after a poor growing season. I replaced the indoor ones a couple of years ago with more efficient freezers that defrost themselves, but the one I have to do today is an older style chest one, that will need the hairdryer treatment. Empty that and it can be turned off until next year. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A busy day ahead. A trip to the physio, then packing for the trip to the UK . Had a dose of the shivers yesterday, not connected to clearing out the chest freezer, but my flu jab. Apart from that no ill effects, though when my daughter had hers she felt really rough for a couple of days. Tucked away at the bottom of the freezer were a bag of french beans from 2009 that somehow got missed. Must improve on the stock rotation. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and showers forecast for today as I set off on my 500 km drive north. Hopefully it will not be windy as I cross the Channel, for the past couple of days ferries have been delayed by stormy weather. My hotel in England has sent a message to say they are short staffed, so hope I will understand if things are not quite up to the normal standard. I hope that they will understand if I reduce my payment. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

14. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Back from the coast, a few Sails and more Dorado than I can count. Hope all are well!

15. yorkshirehornet

Just back ourselves from a few days up in Swaledale in a reomote valley, no internet and no signal........

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  16. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Dogs are proper barking this morning! Morning survey followed by an afternoon and evening in London with my Best Man to see a gig: Finnish folk-black-metallers Amorphis. Three support bands, the main band being a nine piece featuring flute, bagpipes, female vocalists and, I kid you not, a hurdy-gurdy. Best supporting act I've seen since INXS toured with Queen in 1986.

Turns out that the said support act, Eluveitie, were co-headline. Not surprised by that at all. Quite something, if not everybody's cup of tea. Off to check out their back catalogue...

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  17. yorkshirehornet

[QUOTE="Hornet-Fez, post: 16314395, member: 1006516" Finnish folk-black-metallers Amorphis. Three support bands, the main band being a nine piece featuring flute, bagpipes, female vocalists and, I kid you not, a hurdy-gurdy.
    .[/QUOTE]
    <yikes>

18. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

<yikes>[/QUOTE]

Here you go. Don't worry, the majority of the vocals are performed by one of the three girls not the growling bloke at the start...

19. yorkshirehornet

Here you go. Don't worry, the majority of the vocals are performed by one of the three girls not the growling bloke at the start...

[/QUOTE]

<yikes>

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  20. yorkshirehornet

<yikes>[/QUOTE]

;)

Hornet-Fez likes this.