1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Another lovely blue sky and just a very gentle breeze. A man arrived across the road this morning in a little white van, of which there are thousands in these parts. He went to the home of our very elderly neighbour who is a lovely lady, if very difficult to understand with her heavy regional accent. After a few minutes he returned to his van and put on a white boiler suit, followed by gloves. It was starting to look like a scene from the local hospital. A ladder was produced and put up to the grenier door. He climbed the ladder clutching a box, then all was revealed as he came down and brought out of his van the beekeepers headgear. Seems that a swarm of bees had set up home above her bedroom ceiling, and were going to be rehoused in a nice hive about a mile away. There are a lot of bees around this Spring, due I suspect because the was such a mild winter. My peas and beans are quite happy to see them. Have a good day whatever you will be doing. <ok>

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Love and blessings to you Dave <wizard>

I have enjoyed our time together and will treasure you in my memories......

I work with a hospice team as part of my psychotherapy job and a very good friend passed in one last year. They are eautiful people.... gifted and caring .:angel:

keep posting while you can!!!

Hornette_TID and Hornet-Fez like this.
  3. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Just dropped in and read the sad news about you Dave. Devastated. You are such a nice person, bearing your pain without grumbling and being positive all the time. You will be missed.

Hornette_TID likes this.
  4. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Goodnight all.
    Night Dave <smooch>

5. Cornish Mark

Cornish Mark Well-Known Member

Take care Dave, we will miss you.

6. yorkshirehornet

Good morning Dave and all :emoticon-0157-sun:..
    Have a good day one and all..

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A beautiful sunny and warm morning, but extremely noisy. Was woken by the sound of heavy machinery and couldn't see what was going on until I got dressed and went outside. When I did I discovered that the road gang was here with a large digger and lorry, taking away the top road surface, clearing round the drains and chopping up the grass verges. It is all part of the "improvement" plans that the local council is spending a small fortune on, but apart from clearing the soil that has built up around the drains stopping surface water from going down them, I don't see that we really needed much "improvement" There are roads in the area that are much worse than the ones here, and no doubt the heavy tractors and machinery from the farm will soon make a mess of whatever they do. Have a nice quiet day, and enjoy the weather. <ok>

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  8. yorkshirehornet

Morning all.. I test drove our old frame tent last night in preparation for taking it to France for the grandkids.

All in good condition.. I think i need a later model though.. As the morning chorus:emoticon-0159-music<whistle> started at 3.45 am... A pesky song thrush :rolleyes:...non stop without a break.....

Have a good day folks

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Another lovely morning and peace has returned for the time being until the road men return. Everywhere looks a right old mess at the moment, with holes around drain covers and the grass verges that we keep looking tidy a heap of scraped road surface and chewed up grass. Over the years it is now obvious that the grass did grow over the road reducing the width, but apart from a delivery lorry or tractor nothing very large comes through here. Back to the gardening this morning as it is getting rather hot in the afternoon despite finding some shady areas to work in. Have a good day whatever you will be at. <ok>

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunny and warm again without a cloud in sight. There are a few, maybe four or five aircraft that I now see at a high level each day, but the vapour trails that crisscrossed the sky are still missing. Pleased to have news that my two friends who had operations are doing well. One has a new hip, and is home doing lots of exercises, and the other one is in a convalescence unit after open heart surgery. The latter one was tested for the coronavirus before he left hospital, then again 15 minutes later as he was admitted to the recovery unit. As he said, it seemed very unlikely he would pick it up in an ambulance that had been sprayed and cleaned, but better safe than sorry. Both tests proved negative to his relief. Have an enjoyable day and stay safe. <ok>

11. yorkshirehornet

Have a good day folks....

Mme and I both test drove the frame tent in the garden last night.... all ok... apart from the 3.45 song thrush wake up call!

Lovely sunny day here.

Our sourdough bread co-op opens next week for click and collect... so looking forward to it....

12. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Lock down has been extended by two weeks here for non-essential things.

Some production has opened though.

My suegro has bought a goat to cook later - see how that turns out.

Hope you are all well.

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Glad you are ok Mex. <ok> The important question is has beer production started yet? :emoticon-0100-smile Someone told me that you need to slow cook goat. Of course a lengthy cook in red wine can make many things palatable. Enjoy!

14. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Beers are back!!!!!!!!!!!! Production opened last week! ;)

Helps as got the in-laws down for the weekend but wife's dad wants to cook - he can be my guest!!!!

Goat is going to be smoked - bbq smoked.

yorkshirehornet and Hornet-Fez like this.
  15. yorkshirehornet

Good morning folks....

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. The weather is still lovely with a clear blue sky. Trying to do more in the mornings now as it does get a bit too warm in the afternoons. Now had a letter from the council to say that if I want to go out next week I will have to park the car outside the village due to the roadworks. Not quite another lockdown, just a walk before you get to your car. I was planning a gardening expedition for next Tuesday, but we will see about that now. Have a good day and stay safe. <ok>

17. yorkshirehornet

Morning all.. Morning Dave...

I took the plunge yesterday and booked ferries for France for August. A rep from Brittany ferries rang me and explained that they will be running boats with all food outlets closed and every passenger required to book a cabin. As a result there is little capacity.. And we had difficulty getting crossings near the dates we needed.
    Fingers crossed...

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Beautiful morning again, and likely to stay that way until Thursday/Friday when we might see a little rain. Yesterday it became too hot in the afternoon to do much outside, but by the slightly cooler evening my plants needed a drink. Up early this morning as I need some bread and wanted to get out of the village before the road gang arrived. I need not have bothered as there is no sight of them yet. Very French. You go to a shop for something only to find a notice on the door saying fermeture exceptionnelle. Sometimes there is also a reason given, but often not. Oh well, not to worry. I can go and get my bread and do some gardening, then have a lazy aftenoon. Have a good day whatever you might be doing. <ok>

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  19. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Afternoon All.
    I was out surveying a property today with full kit and regalia on as per our covid19 safety policy... bad enough for the few hours I was there, how our front line staff cope is even more of a mystery to me!
    All very quiet round these here parts...

20. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

I don't know about 'This is America' - This Is Utterly Appalling. For decades we've been conned into thinking that the 'bad guys' were all in the East, but here they are, as large as life, in the West, masquerading as Law Enforcement.

It lends new meaning to Trump's 2016 MAGA election slogan - Make America Grim Again.