1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

That sounds slightly different Frenchie. The lowest political administration here is that of Engelskirchen and all of the surrounding villages belong to that - the population being around 20,000 - councils representing populations of less than this would be unusual here. Whilst party differences don't mean the same at this local level - we mostly all know each other and some of those 'on the other side' are easier to work with than my own party members, it is still surprising how often fractions vote as a block when in council meetings. The thought of standing as an independent has its attractions but this could only be done by actually winning an electoral ward (around 1,000 population) against an established party landscape - the other way (ie. through PR) would involve being on the reserve list of one of the parties. I am currently the direct candidate for one ward (not the one I live in which is unfortunate) and at number 5 on the reserve list for the municipal elections in September. I cannot see myself 'voting as part of the block' like an automaton, on every single issue, as some of them do. To be honest I am dreading actually being elected - the thought of 3 hour council meetings where things are voted on just to get them off the table so that you can go home ! Also my German is fluent - but is it fluent enough for this ? Particularly when opponents try to exploit their language advantage in a way which doesn't happen in real life.

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Whoops - my mistake. I thought I was on that thread...:(

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. A bit overcast, but the sun keeps popping out, there is no wind, so it is just right for a gardening day. The road men put a storm drain in then disappeared for the day. I was told they will not be back until Friday, but then one of their vans has just gone past the house, so goodness knows what is going on. I hope that when they do put the new surface down it is reinforced as the heavy tractors and machines that go in and out of the farm will rip it apart in no time otherwise. Oh well, have a good day whatever you will be doing. <ok>

4. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Morning folks.... after a dry Wharfedale walk yesterday...wet and damp here this morning.....
    Have a good one

canary-dave likes this.
  5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A beautiful morning with just a few wispy clouds in an otherwise clear blue sky. Showers expected this evening which I wouldn't mind as the watering gets a bit tedious. Looks as though the state of emergency laws are being lifted here in the middle of next month, but a new set of powers that enable local lockdowns will be brought into force for the following four months. All very slow, but steady, and the wearing of masks is likely to remain on all public transport. So now off to the great outdoors and must be careful to avoid treading on a snake that sunbathes down the greenlane. It looks just like a piece of broken branch until you approach it, then it dashes off into the long grass. Have a good day whatever you will be doing. <ok>

canary-dave likes this.
  6. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Had first rains of the rainy season on Monday night (we had some unusuallly unexpected rain before mind a month or so back ish) Anyways, Monday about 6pm to 9pm all hell broke loose, rain, hail, thunder and lightning. Fortunately, we live slightly up a hill but the main avenue it all runs off to was like a river!

Sunny now like "nada pasó" but signals the start of a few months of potentially heavy rain here and hurricaines or tropical storms on the coast.

take care y'all.

7. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Just popped in to catch up and say hello, all ok here.
    I am glad Dave is back with us.
    Looking forward to all our matches on tv, most for free.
    Stay well all.

8. yorkshirehornet

and you Scully......have you predicted?

9. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Not yet but am aware and thanks for the reminder.

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Overcast with the likelihood of light rain showers during the day. Normally when there has been some rain everything smells fresh and new, but this morning there is the overriding smell of tarmac. Huge pieces of machinery started their work at 7.00 am and shortly after the house started to vibrate as heavy rollers trundled backwards and forwards around the corner. All of the laying of tarmac is done with electronic sensors by the look of things, but there is still room in this modern world for a couple of men with brooms and shovels to sort out the joins and edges. Have a good vibration free day. <ok>

11. yorkshirehornet

Good afternoon... spent a lot of the morning looking for wallet and key ...with increasing urgency... then mme found them in my dressing gown... I dont know woh put them there<confused>:eek:

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Early morning shopping trip? :emoticon-0103-cool:

13. yorkshirehornet

Morning Dave and all
    Now I have my wallet.. We are off to pick up fresh sour dough bread this morning... And then a dip into the supermarket for some goodies...
    Have a good day folks

canary-dave likes this.
  14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Heavy overnight rain I am told, and there are watering trays beneath Mme's planters that are now full. I didn't hear a thing. Road men disappeared at 6.00 pm leaving behind their ribbon of tarmac around the village. It looks odd at present, but some mud from the fields will soon change that. They reset a drain across the road which now is level with the surface, the only trouble is that the rain falls off the side of the road before it gets to it. Still the sun is out now and my plants will have had a good watering, so a trip to town to see what bargains are to be had in the cave. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

15. yorkshirehornet

Good night All.. Just been watching a hedgehog doing its evening tour of the garden...life goes on....

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and cloud, with a brisk wind and showers forecast for later. The wine cave in the supermarket was well stocked with masses of cheap Spanish wine. The last bottle I had was dreadful, not even fit for going into the cook pot. Seems that others had the same experience because it wasn't moving, whereas the reasonable everyday French version was more expensive, but selling. I will have to go to the town across the border this morning to get some bread as the baker who stocks the machine just down the road is on holiday for a couple of weeks. This means going through a small hamlet that has a beware of the chickens notice up at the side of the road. They are unlikely to attack you, it is just the farmer wanting to keep his flock strutting around. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

canary-dave likes this.
  17. yorkshirehornet

Supermarket Spanish wine in France is uniformly awful eh.....

Morning all...
    Yorkie has a visitation from my nephew and his wife to repair my android tablet... In exchange i am cooking chicken curry, spinach paneer curry, aubregine curry, dhal, rice with raita and naan breads....... they sit in the conservatory and we pass things across...
    A good deal all round... i get to cook another curry meal..
    Mind you Mme is never happy as it is quite a project involving all our saucepans, bowls etc... and tomato seems to get everywhere... I just dont understand it.......................... :emoticon-0103-cool:

canary-dave likes this.
  18. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Doubtless because she gets the unenviable task of clearing up...

19. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

I have been relatively couped up for 10 weeks, I guess everyone is suffering from it a bit.

Changes due to this are hard to self analyse. My wife said I had lost a bit of my spark, who wouldn't and becoming less patient. So, last night I said I was going round a mate's house and be back in the morning. I went to the woods near us, found some mushrooms after the rains we have had and had an exquisit night gently tripping with nature. If you have never done it you have to at least once ;). I am now complete again and feel very refreshed. Back home now with some nice afternoon food from the local market.

Now, today, I have read that the cartel leader of CJNG might have been caught, killed or died - I hope that doesn't cause more issues aroung here - if true.

Take care y'all.

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  20. yorkshirehornet

Oh.... memories....................................................good for you.......................................................