1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Chairman's Christmas Message

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by itstimupnorth, Dec 14, 2018.

1. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

2. brb

brb CR250

Wow that's going to take some reading to digest. I understand his frustrations in the first page, but first thought...join it rather than counteract it (social media). I've said before and i will say it again, Darragh MacAnthony appears to use it successfully and to his advantage in a positive way. I've always said quite openly, I would welcome him to comment here, and without him getting abuse. However, he needs a bigger platform and i understand that, so turn that negative into a positive instead of fighting it.

Just an opinion, not having a go, but he comes across as trying to slay a dragon that he's never going to win, unless he really wants to keep going through the courts.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  3. brb

brb CR250

I'm pleased he has explained the reasoning behind the Cardiff ticket pricing. I stated on here i would like him to do that in his match day notes, and due to a supporters email he has done so. Credit for that. Edit: The KM approached him, after the KM received the email, just to clarify.

4. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

I've posted the following on another forum

"The guff on the Cardiff game pricing is complete smoke and mirrors, and also incorrect, as of the nett income 10% goes to the Cup Pool and 45% each to ourselves and Cardiff, so in fact perhaps he's undercooked the ticket prices
    please log in to view this image

Mentioning fixed overheads of £112k a week is irrelevant. This is an additional game, one for which the income almost certainly would not have been included in any business plan for the year - any profit is a bonus. And he doesn't mention additional profit from catering / hospitality, which we keep 100%

If he really wanted to bring the romance of the Cup back to Priestfield he should have at worst held prices, or possibly even reduced the slightly and ENSURED a full ground.

I agree with other posters, if it does sell out then well done PS and egg on my face, but I personally remain to be convinced that Cardiff are as big a draw as he thinks."

There are some things in that message that I concur with, but much, much more that is either not totally explained or just waffle. If I had another life I'd go through the whole thing and respond to the various matters that I have issues with, but for the time being also recommend that you look at this and look at Clive's comment (6th one down I think). Eloquent and well reasoned.

grumpygit and alwaysright like this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

Agree and interesting points by Clive. As i said, as Clive has said, instead of having a go at everyone just focus on the job. It's great to get the insights and explanations but do it without the bites. Trust me Mr Chairman, I have been around for a long time in social media, you need to learn to adapt your responses, negativity will breed negativity.

There was an interview i watched the other day, it was how to counteract arguments and how to deal with confrontational accusations, wish i could find it again, i'd post it up here to show Mr Chairman how to deal with these situations!

itstimupnorth likes this.
  6. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

He could have just said
    " We've got bugger all. Nobody wants to give us bugger all. You should get used to having bugger all. ............ Now, stop your moaning ."

I too cannot be bothered to respond to the many points that Mr.Scally has raised ---- some ( a few ), of my comments would actually be positive -- but -- too many would only highlight the disasters suffered during Scally's time -- and SO many have had nothing to do with what goes on the pitch.

I doubt that there are many Clubs run by a chairman who has been so divisive as Mr.Scally - or who has alienated the hard core fans as often as he has. - but he seems to be blind or oblivious.

I have never been under any illusion regarding what GFC can realistically achieve. I don't need the propaganda that he tries to feed -- and I already knew he was doing 'the best he can.' (( I'd hate to see the worst ! ))

itstimupnorth likes this.
  7. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Will we earn a decent profit from this game in the long run however? We've now had to move another game to a Tuesday night (not sure if it's home or away)which will result in less bums on seats and additional date for police, stewards, catering staff to be booked (if at home). If away then there's still the coach, accomodation and less fans that will be attending that we would lose out on.

Not always great business wise.

grumpygit likes this.
  8. brb

brb CR250

Read a bit more and now want to focus on this bit...

and turned up each week regardless of performances to support their team, real fans, fans that didn’t really expect a lot of success, didn’t moan at the team, but turned up anyway, always with positive support for their heroes who battled to their best ability on the pitch sometimes successfully, other times not so.

My view, absolutely bang on the nail, so what went wrong. Well never being one to hold back, we moved the game into the modern era....here we go...the lads know what i'm going to say...SKY and the Premier League...i hate them, and with the Championship and Wembley games, we picked up a load of glory hunting plastics, but one's that helped line your pockets.

Thoughts over, the lads can pull me to one side for a good kicking now <laugh>

But joking aside, i do take your points Mr Chairman, i agree with them whole heartedly but me like you especially have to accept it and move with the times.

grumpygit likes this.
  9. alwaysright

Question -- If ( in any other aspect of life ), YOU (( anybody )), buy into a product or service, and continually receive crap in return for a lot of money -- who, in their right mind wouldn't complain [eventually] ? Who, in their right mind wouldn't stop 'buying' from the same supplier ?

Why does football ( not just Mr. Scally ) think that it is acceptable to expect blind loyalty from the people who actually work for the money that Football expects us to simply continue to give ?

brb- you can't blame Sky or BT - they are in business -- Both have helped to provide a product that suits the requirement of modern football 'viewers.' It is individual choice by customers. Unfortunately for Mr.Scally, HE is not meeting the demands of the paying public..................

............. as you know - I haven't got a right mind - and will continue to pay stupid money to watch The Gills --- but -- I am beginning to regain some of my sanity - and - who knows - maybe one day it will all go quiet in the GRS

grumpygit likes this.
  10. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Always you are a laugh at times with what you write.
    " I am beginning to regain some of my sanity "
    " maybe one day it will go quiet in the GRS "

" Quiet in the GRS " you must have dreamt long and hard to come up with that one.
    It was lucky the guy in the seat next to you didn't wake you up with his snoring.

<party>

alwaysright likes this.

11. brb

brb CR250

I can and i will, but you already know that.

12. alwaysright

to be fair- in my defence I have already pleaded ; 'insanity'

13. alwaysright

OK - but - ( as it's almost Christmas ) - I won't press you for a response to my question ...........#youknowiamalwaysrright

14. brb

brb CR250

Thinking back on this and what i'm going to say is often something i challenge my own behaviours on, in what did i do wrong?

It's all well and good bemoaning supporters via social media but as i edged towards earlier in the thread, when you read over comments, he never appears to blame himself.

Anyone that watches world news will see Trump in his usual manner stomping on journos and stating fake news, but how does the phrase go, no smoke without fire.

The Chairman has rightly picked up on away v home performances, the former being the better. Something i had mentioned in another thread, much along the lines he has given in his Christmas message and he is absolutely correct in saying that abuse is cheap. But as i stated in the very first line of this comment, let's get the mirror out...

He states quote;

Too many defeats I accept, but more importantly why have we won more games away from home in 14 months and lost more games at Priestfield? Stats don’t lie. Do we as fans, without realizing, create anxiety on the terraces that transmits itself to the players on the pitch, making them uncertain or nervous? Psychology is a huge part of a sportsmans make up, can we create a more relaxed but supportive atmosphere? Do we expect the players to excite us first before we can encourage them? Gets into a cycle of what comes first. We all need to think about this. I don’t have the answers but it’s an issue we must all look at and help to solve.

End quote.

Some good points right?

But wait, now read this quote from page 5;

The Rainham End, in positive form, is a very powerful weapon, for sure the 12th man, and on numerous occasions over the years their banter, support and noise has lifted the rest of the stadium and achieved great results, you are so important to the team, please keep it going, make Priestfield rock every game. Your strength is such an important asset, and when you’re all on it there is no better place to be.

End quote.

The Rainham End is a very powerful weapon, FOR SURE the 12th man. <<< that is what you said, correct, Mr Chairman?

Now where is that mirror, i could quote you loads of comments from across social media when you closed the Rainham End (and the Gordon Road Stand) for the Hartlepool game.

NO! you know what i will actually quote some of those comments;

The club done this a couple of seasons ago when we drew at home to Brackley, atmosphere was awful.

The club don't make things easy or attractive to fans in terms of tickets for things like this.

Strange decision to close the stand most likely to make any noise.

........Now i could go on, there are loads of them, even ones just as valid as the above, that was a mere random selection, yes random!

So what happened to the Rainham End being a powerful weapon...damn i've just dropped the mirror and got seven years bad luck ;)

15. alwaysright

...... if it was only 7 years - not 23 !
    As you know - Scally closed the Rainham End for the cup games as a cost cutting exercise - so as not to have to pay for stewards ---- and, as you will also be aware, break his promises to STH re guaranteeing their seats --- and my friend next to me ended up in the Medway stand - only to be confronted by another Gills fan with a ticket for the same seat ! --------- so - further proof that football - even at L1 level is a business ................ and you still don't like it that Sky and BT are 'in' football for the business. (( No - I don't have shares in either ))

brb likes this.