1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The contract balancing act

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Southern A, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

This is a real tricky one. The players seem to be absolutely buzzing now and morale seems high, with one focus - promotion.

We have a tonne of players out of contract in the summer, and recent history of being burned in not sorting contracts out quickly.

Naturally we all want the likes of O'Nien and Wyke signed for longer - so there is obviously a clammer to get them signed up.

My fear is that if the club offered contracts to some, but not all, those that don't get offered them will be put out. Clearly that could have positives as it gives them something to fight for, but there's a real risk that morale drops.

So what do people think we should be doing? Is the risk that we may lose the likes of O'Nien if we don't tie him down, worth the risk of damaging morale by only offering the best few contracts?

Personally I think there's no right answer and I'm glad it's not me making the decision. I trust Speakman and Johnson to get it right. At least we can be re-assured now that any decision on this basis will be made purely from a footballing perspective and not out of tightness.

Sunderpitt likes this.
  2. Robref62

Robref62 Well-Known Member

We've not heard any rumours but some could have already been offered contracts....by other clubs.
    Or possibly KLD has said to them there's a big pot of money to share...if you get us up as a bonus with a new contract?

Gil T Azell likes this.
  3. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Well-Known Member

I'm happy for the first time in years we appear to have proper football people handling this - i've no doubt there could well be some discussions already being had around contracts for next season.

I think we have to trust them to get this right.

robinoz, Southern A and Sunderpitt like this.
  4. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

5. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I think we see the season through, see where we end up and if it's the Championship, if any of these players think the grass is greener elsewhere it's bye bye for me as none of them will get a bigger club even if it's one in the lower regions of the Premiership.
    New owner, good manager and decent crowds again what's not to like.

Montysoptician and Gil T Azell like this.
  6. Very difficult to offer new contracts until we know what division we’re in.

7. Dancingstripes

Dancingstripes Well-Known Member

Onein and gooch should be tied down, we won’t be able to sign players with their ability on a free transfer, wether we are in league 1 or the championship.

Wyke is a tricky one, could he do it in the championship? And what size contract and money will he be asking for?

There will be a que of league 1 clubs offering him 3 year deals. What we don’t want to do is go overboard on contract length/pay and end up in the championship with a striker out of his depth on a long contract.

If we are promoted, I’d offer him a 2 year deal with reasonable wages, and if that’s not enough, reluctantly let him go.

TopCat_ likes this.
  8. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Only if they are foreign clubs. Any clubs in the English leagues cannot offer contracts until the final month (so, 1st June)

9. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

As he's out of contract, the sensible thing would be to offer him a tiered deal now - one wage for L1 and one wage for the Championship. Dangle the carrot of a promotion-related wage rise, but also don't tie us down to a player who (potentially) can't cut it in the Championship

Even if we went up and he failed in the Championship, there would still be a queue of L1 clubs happy to take him

It's definitely a tricky one