1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Coronavirus Quarantine Picture Show

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by It's Only A Game, Mar 31, 2020.

1. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I have to say that I holidayed deep in a forest in the Le Landes many years ago and saw dozens of Hoopoes and then the same for golden oriels in the Aude.

In the UK the one bird that has remained elusive for me is the tree creeper, in all my years I have never seen one in the UK. I have seen many in France.

Ian Thumwood likes this.
  2. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

I don't know if you've seen this website Ian, it gives up to date news on the latest sightings. Although a bit short on details you can see that Hoopoes have been seen lately.
    http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/RealData/dailysummary.asp
    It gives some free info but to get full details you need to subscribe

Ian Thumwood likes this.
  3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

4. Archers Road

5. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Gorgeous!
    Do Butterflies like them?

6. Archers Road

7. Archers Road

Haven’t really noticed tbh.

8. Archers Road

Lots of tits and chaffinches in this tree. Only blossoms every few years, this one.,,

FA3EE4D3-E4BD-4202-A7E0-B4BECE4EA737.jpeg

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  9. ----HistoryRepeating----

I walked past some that are fairly close to me, but never see much insect interest. Hard to know what they are looking for sometimes. And I hate the one they love, Buddleia!

Archers Road likes this.
  10. Archers Road

^^^I didn’t chop it down, don’t know why it came out like tgat

11. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

I thought it was growing out of a steep bank

12. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

This bad boy watching me watching him (or her) on the balcony before I picked Mrs Jab up from work and rode home through the Haagse Hout (Hague Woods). 20K round trip, we're biking more now, bit saddle sore I understand the need for cycle shorts, casual style not lycra warrior.
    IMG_20200415_140502226.jpg IMG_20200415_140442667 (2).jpg IMG_20200415_140652444_HDR (3).jpg IMG-20200415-WA0008.jpg

13. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Godders / Only a Game

I have had tree-creepers in my garden but not for a long while. I am not sure of the last time that I saw one, to be honest. I have done the BTO Garden birdwatch for over ten years and cannot recall logging one of these on the garden although they were not too unusual when I first moved here. All the Marsh Tits have disappeared too.

I usually either go birdwatcher along the River Itchen between Brambridge and Shawford or further afield at Titchfield Haven. From time to time I have visited other local reserves and sometimes go to Alresford Pond which always seems to produce good "spots" albeit never when I am there!

It is funny how some birds are elusive. I have started to believe that some are really trying to avoid me! Together with the Hoopoe, there are other less exotic species which I have never seen. The noticeable one for me is Garden Warbler. I keep being told that they are ubiquitous and easy to find once you have managed to master the call yet I have only ever been to one place, Fishlake Meadows last summers, where someone has said that they were abundant. I think that Warblers are big ticket sightings for me because they are often so hard to identify. You can always hear Chiffchaffs near by but it they remain silent I panic as to what colour legs they have to distinguish them from Willow Warblers. I usually see Willow Warblers, Blackcaps, Sedges, Reed and even Cetti's (they are becoming increasingly common) as well as Whitethroat yet never a Garden Warbler. On top of this, I have only ever seen a Lesser Whitethroat once. Once things are back to normal, I will be back over to Fishlake to see if I can see a Garden Warbler.

The other species I have never seen include a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Tree Sparrow, Woodcock, Ring ouzel, and Corn Bunting. It almost seems embarrassing admitting this. I have been to sites where you are supposed to be able to find these birds and have had no luck. I have not seen a Turtle Dove in the UK although they are now extremely rare. It is weird to think that when I got in to birdwatching in the late 1970s, this bird would have been common whilst a Little Egret would have been a significant spot. Nowadays it is the other way around.

14. Ian Thumwood

Meant to add that I thoroughly recommend Isabella Tree's book "Wilding." I reads that a few months back and the intention was to take my nephew to the farm in the book over the Easter holiday. The book is extremely thought provoking as is quite shocking insofar as the number of species that have been lost. The arguments presented as not "preachy" but almost straightforward and logical.

I was given this book as a birthday present last year along with George Edward Mann;s "The River Itchen at Martyr Worthy" which chronicles a year observing the wildlife several miles upstream from where I live. It was quite satisfying to compare what the author had seen and what I had recorded myself.

It's Only A Game likes this.
  15. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Or maybe on the equator as it is sticking out

16. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

It will soon be the nightjar season :)!

17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

46B44543-CEDF-4D00-93A9-A43AE5FEA129.jpeg

18. Ian Thumwood

Never seen a nightjar although they are alleged to be found in the village where I grew up.

19. ----HistoryRepeating----

Another long walk to nowhere today. Saw another Adder but not as impressive as the one posted previously. But I also came across a smooth snake today, but he was too fast for me to get a picture which is highly frustrating considering the effort I put into being stealth in the countryside! I will get one before the end of lockdown.

20. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

I go to see them and listen to their chur every May. The sound is incredible. They are easiest to find at dusk when they have just arrived back and are hungry. Warm air and weather keeping their prey higher above the ground.