1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Development Squad thread

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

And signed almost immediately for his home town club !

I am not too sure what the point of this development squad is ? It seems to me to be quite a substantial pull on resources for apparently little gain. Why have we not seen more of a transition from this team in to the first team ? Is there some kind of first team clique { As I experienced from my playing days } or are these kids simply not good enough { some going out on loan to lesser clubs or having their contracts terminated } I am all for having a second team but it has to be a second team with more movement between that and the firsts. Where's the football combination when you need it eh ? I remember watching those games at Eastville with crowds of two or three thousand.

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Delsy Who are you referring to Seager or Bagdhadi. GC has explained why they didn't offer Seager a contract, from what I saw of Bagdhadi when I watched the development squad his work rate didn't look that impressive

3. old timer

I went to the 4 - 1 defeat of our development squad by Plymouth, spoke to one of their directors who complained about Wycombe's time wasting, nice to know it isn't just us they do it to.
    The Plymouth side contained four members of the first team squad and were very much the best team, Deon Moore's equaliser was a well struck shot but when he left the pitch there wasn't much to shout about. I thought there were a couple of players who tried very hard to make a game of it but without much success. I spoke to GC after the game and said something like a couple of reasonable performances and the answer was NO we lost 4 - 1, Lee Mansell was also unimpressed with the effort the team had put in

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Next time you have the chance to go to these games, I heard a rumour going around that we are getting rid of the development side or the academy to cut costs. Probably just a rumour but apparently is come from a parent of a player in the academy.

5. old timer

In todays match away at Peterborough we pulled back a 4 - 1 defecate to draw 4 - 4. Goals from Kilgour Spruce Kavanagh and Deon Moore who was released by the Posh to equalise

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

What a good come back! Our squad wasn't the strongest either! We had back some of our loan players return for this game and they were then allowed to return back out to their loan clubs. So preparations would have been difficult.

please log in to view this image

7. old timer

Goals from Kilgour, Kavanagh and Widdrington give the Rovers a 3 - 2 win over Exeter at lodge road today

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Todays line up....

Slocombe, Partington, Kilgour (C), Morgan, Hoole, Sinclair, Leigh-Gilchrist, Lines, Russe, Kavanagh, Spruce.

Subs: Armstrong, Widdrington, Warwick, Jones, Hargreaves.

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Theo's winning goal....

10. old timer

0 - 1 down to Southend at ht

Andre jnr Hoole, Kilgour, Morgan, Heal, Russe, Lines, Mehew, Tomlinson, Moore, Kavangh

Subs Armstrong, Bremner, Walker, Warwick, Hulbert

0 - 2 49th min

Following the match on Bristol Rovers tw 18 mins since the last post, giving it up as a bad job

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019

11. old timer

Moore and Hoole score for Rovers in their 2 - 3 defeat by Southend today this was the final match this season

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Lines playing means wont be involved Saturday and for some reason GC doesnt like him so I guess we wont see him again in a Rovers shirt.

13. old timer

Thought Line was coming back from injury and that was match fitness for him

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Hope so. I know he isnt exactly the same player from a few seasons ago but he has Rovers in his blood and is very experienced which will benefit the likes of Russe and other youngsters and even new players too.

15. old timer

Rovers 3 - 1 Cribbs, Couldn't find out who scored, asked if in future the results could be put on the web site

16. old timer

Just been on the Manor farm web site to find out to nights result Manor farm 1 - 3 Bristol Rovers development squad Scores of the first 2 goals for Rovers Deon Moore and Lucas Tomlinson scorer of the 3rd goal not given. Jay Adams for Manor Farm
    3rd rovers goal scored by Rhys Kavanagh

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  17. old timer

Goals from Harry Warwick 2, Deon Moore and Michael Kelly sealed a 4 - 1 win over FGR. 2 trialists played in todays game

18. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Development squad striker Moore farmed out to some Irish sounding outfit from Essex

19. old timer

Deon Moore gone to Billericay Town on a months loan

20. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

As you may or may not know I live a stone's throw from Dorchester Town FC, As my son is a hot striker in the u13's team plus it's good to 'support your local team' I got a season card for the Magpies on top of trying to catch the City games, Dorch are really bad, at the moment bottom of the league so the new manager has made his 1st signing - Harry Warwick from the rovers... any info please?

Warwick signs on loan from Rovers
    Club News | January 9, 2020

Dorchester Town Football Club are delighted to announce that Harry Warwick has joined The Magpies on a one-month youth loan deal from Bristol Rovers.

The striker, who becomes new manager Leigh Robinson’s first signing, is part of Rovers’ Development Squad and has previously spent loan spells at Gloucester City, Truro City and Gosport Borough.

Subject to agreement from The FA, Harry will be available for selection in our BetVictor Southern League Premier South home match against Truro City Saturday afternoon.

Welcome Harry!

please log in to view this image