1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

All these fascinating discoveries about planets and their suitability for alien life; what intrigues me is, are they overlooking something very basic? Any alien life will exist purely because it thrives in the environment within which it exists, whatever that environment is. For example they may not require water or oxygen and thrive purely on hydrogen and/or solar energy. They may not have blood. They might even be robots developed as a result of AI billions of years ago on planets far more advanced than we are. We can't kid ourselves that we, a minicule dot in this infinity, are the only/most advanced beings ever to have existed

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In a significant leap forward for quantum nanophotonics, a team of European and Israeli physicists, introduces a new type of polaritonic cavities and redefines the limits of light confinement. This pioneering work, detailed in a study published today in Nature Materials, demonstrates an unconventional method to confine photons, overcoming the traditional limitations in nanophotonics.

The key lies in the use of hyperbolic-phonon-polaritons, unique electromagnetic excitations occurring in the 2D material forming the cavity.

That's what I told them anyway

3. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Ron, Bustino74 and Joe_z like this.
  4. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Tough on Biden for being ridiculed as senile because he doesn't know where Mexico is and who is its President. Really unfair as these things need to be calibrated. Asking your average adult American where Sri Lanka is, would be like asking your 11 year-old son to explain Schrodinger's Wave Equation. Let's be proportionate about these things.

redcgull and Ron like this.
  5. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

I don’t know,Bustino. It’s the Mitterrand reference, initially to Germany, that’s the real howler, especially since he’s been dead for nearly 30 years.<laugh>

Bustino74 likes this.
  6. Bustino74

Has he?

7. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The whole American election process has become a farce. There is no serious debate taking place, just showmanship, fake news and vitriol. Biden and Trump are both clearly no longer at the peak of their mental prowess (although Trump's "peak" was hardly worthy of the name) and it is a damning indictment of the American political system that it has thrown up these two candidates. Both should step aside but neither will - Trump is obsessed with becoming President again and Biden is obsessed with stopping him. Neither (and you can extend this to their respective parties and those who ultimately determine policy) seem fit for shaping the next steps for the USA.

PS: Anyone remember Ronald Reagan calling Diana "Princess David"?

Chaninbar likes this.
  8. Bustino74

And he was a good President.

9. QuarterMoonIII

QuarterMoonIII Active Member

They have not had a good President in the USA this century and now they appear to face a choice between the last two disasters.

Somebody that is actually in charge of the Democrats should go and have a word with Sleepy Joe (or get his wife to have a word) and tell him to step aside as it has been obvious for some time that he has senile dementia and is incapable of doing the job. His Party could kick him out of The White House by impeaching him, as the Special Counsel effectively gave him immunity from prosecution on the grounds of mental incapacity, which would give them grounds for impeachment under the American Constitution. His popularity rating is in the gutter at minus 16 points. Of the last six polls conducted in the USA, only one – of Suffolk (Massachusetts) University students – gave Biden a lead.

The problem for the Republicans is that populist Trump bypasses the whole selection infrastructure using social and mainstream media to communicate with his followers so that other potential candidates that might actually have half decent policy ideas are kept out; such as Nikki Haley, who would actually be prepared to deal with the out of control US debt problem that Trump and Biden have fuelled for nearly 8 years. Trump won in Nevada because Haley was a no show leaving him to beat a no-name who got 540 votes. She is concentrating on states where non-GOP people can vote.

10. QuarterMoonIII

My favourite Reaganism was when, having survived an assassination attempt, he told Nancy “I’m sorry, honey, I forgot to duck”. This from the man who made a modest career in Hollywood acting in B films as a cowboy.

His would-be assassin was released from prison a couple of years ago. I wonder if he is eligible for a gun license yet. He could give it another couple of tries – either the 45th or 46th President will do.

Tamerlo and OddDog like this.

11. Tamerlo

Yes, the “Vichy” man died in 1996.

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"The fleet flagship HMS Queen Elizabeth had been expected to depart from Portsmouth Naval Base last Sunday to lead the largest Nato exercise since the Cold War, involving more than 40 vessels.

But the sailing of the £3 billion warship was called off at the last minute after the problem was found in final checks with the starboard propeller coupling.

The setback came 18 months after HMS Prince of Wales broke down off the Isle of Wight, when it also suffered a malfunction with a coupling on its starboard propeller.

It is claimed an inspection found rust on a propeller shaft, forcing the embarrassing u-turn"

I think that is disgusting. Stinks of cut backs on regular preventative maintenance

13. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Rust sounds more like the anti-corrosive surface treatment wasn’t correctly applied.

SwanHills likes this.
  14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ah well, it only cost £3bn

15. Bustino74

The 'Has he' was a joke (on me).

Yes, you are right, here was a man who was painted a hero, yet was purely a man who faced whichever way the political (then mostly military) wind was blowing.

Tamerlo likes this.
  16. Tamerlo

Yes, I thought it might be. And yes, the older we get, we have to laugh at ourselves- it keeps us alive- as well as all the meds in my case.<laugh>

17. QuarterMoonIII

HMS Queen Elizabeth took 5 years to build and HMS Prince of Wales took 6 years so they probably rusted in the Glasgow shipyard air. At least they got finished, unlike the two Western Isles ferries that are £140m over cost and the shipbuilder got nationalised by Wee Jimmy McKrankie so all of Scotland can share the debt. Given the calamities in the building process of the ferries, I am surprised that the two aircraft carriers had engines not oars.

18. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

Well the first of the Calmac ferries has made it to sea trials. Only 6 years late and several times over budget. Over 6 years after it was "launched" with painted on windows (honest). Apparently the windows are now real but some photos of the ferry sides would give cause for concern to anyone travelling on it. I saw this white elephant from the other side of the Clyde when travelling on the lovely West Highland train line to Oban. A spokesman for the ferry builders has been quoted as saying they were more complicated than a warship. Sadly its no laughing matter for the islanders who have been promised ferries but nothing has been delivered.

The two aircraft carries were "assembled" at Rosyth (near Edinburgh on the Forth river) and fortunately avoided the Glasgow shipyard air.

19. Bustino74

When things are going wrong it's sometimes useful (I've observed) to have someone else responsible. Though narrowly a recession, it is bad news yet Hunt seems to be saying all will be well because the Bank of England's plan will sort it out, they have the responsibility. But you can take this too far and if the ship is sinking and you are on it you might prefer to be sure that those responsible have shown the capability to steer the ship. I think the BoE have shown themselves to be useless in gauging the economy and at reading their own tealeaves.
    There is this awful accepted agreement of an indirect correlation between inflation and interest rates, what a lot of cobblers. Anyone who lived through the '70s will know interest rates going up did nothing to stem inflation. So now we hear Hunt saying interest rates will come down when inflation reaches 2%. That may be too late and this country will be in a much deeper recession because of it. If 5.25% interest rates were needed for 11% inflation how can they be necessary for 4% inflation. They should be nearer 4.5% by now. They are choking off investment and business with 5.25% and the danger may soon be recession and deflation. And though after high inflation deflation sounds attractive it isn't.
    It's about time this weak Conservative government got on the BoE's case. They seem frightened to. Why?

Tamerlo likes this.
  20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can remember when interest rates were 16%; Fortunately our company subsidised anything over 4% so it didn't affect us. But I do wonder how they managed to come down so far. I understand nothing when it comes to BOE, interest rates etc. It's all a mystery to me. All I know is that when interest rates were down to between 1 and 2% it was definitely worth locking that in on any loans/mortgages. Couldn't go wrong given what history I know