1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Not nearly as weird as your fixation with him.

Marx had a very comfortable life and was a total hypocrite. His influence appears to have been entirely negative. Strange that the writings of Hitler have not created a mass political following yet in a hundred years he will still be known.

In a hundred years from now there will still be some sad old losers like you that think two hundred and fifty years of Marxism failing is the result of somebody doing it wrong so they need to try again. It only seems to work as a totalitarian military regime to stop people wanting freedom to do as they please. That is why there are so many Marxist Utopias across the world and so few Capitalist democracies.

2. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Representatives from some 200 countries are assembling in Madrid to chat about climate change.

The probable result will be a **** load of extra hot air in the atmosphere.

3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

29,000 representatives from all around the world attending a 2 week conference. It would be interesting to map the carbon footprint of these talks <doh>

4. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Contenders for the dumbest Christmas advertising campaign of 2019 are not difficult to spot, but try this one...

You may well have seen the TV advert for what is ostensibly an exercise bike with a tablet on the handle bars so some ‘coach’ on the internet can shout at you to keep peddling. In the version of the advert that I saw, a shapely young woman is seen working away on the machine toning up her body.

Now maybe I am a little slow here, but I figure that if I bought the woman in my life an exercise bike for Christmas, she might get the message that she could do with losing a few pounds and getting into shape. I reckon I know how that one would end. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

The bikes are being made by an American start-up company that floated on the NYSE at $29 a share. They are having a bit of a problem as competitors have started to spring up offering very similar devices – a bike with a tablet attached – for quite a few dollars less. This may be another example of how being first with the idea backfires (look at Tesla).

With Christmas sales apparently not going great guns and the company’s lawyers filing law suits left, right and centre against copycats, it was only a matter of time before the short sellers moved in. The company’s shares are down 16 per cent in a week and the company’s CEO may need to put wheels on his exercise bike to get home in the New Year as this turkey may have been totally gobbled up over Christmas... <laugh>

5. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

6. Cyclonic

Yeah it's freaking warm Red. Yesterday a radio caller in one of Brisbane's suburbs said it reached 45 out in his yard. It don't know what it reached today, but parts of South Australia were predicted to reach 48.

7. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

What's that about, 120...!! Hot hot hot...!!!

8. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Minus 2 where I'm working today

9. Cyclonic

Coldest I've ever experienced is about 5. And never seen snow.

Dancingbraveforever likes this.
  10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

11. Cyclonic

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

13. Cyclonic

Yeah Ron, we're fine here, but about 20ks away, there's been an on going problem for weeks. The built up areas are avoiding the flames but getting the dense smoke, but it's mostly the bush that's proving hard to control. Fire chiefs are saying this could go for months. So far 2,700,000 hectares have been lost in NSW alone and all states as well as NT have been on fire for a month. 6 have died and over 1300 structures have been destroyed. The damage to wild life and stock has been horrendous.

And it ain't over, not even close.

14. OddDog

Staff Member

What is the public perception of the Australian government's position on climate change Cyc? It seems like you guys are suffering massively with record heat and droughts yet your government doesn't seem to want to take decisive action.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...accused-of-cheating-and-thwarting-global-deal

"Disagreement over Australia’s plan to use an accounting loophole to meet its climate target will spill into 2020 after a United Nations conference in Madrid failed to reach consensus on rules to implement the global deal.

As talks dragged past the scheduled Friday close into Sunday afternoon, Australia was accused of “cheating” and named by other countries and conference observers as one of a handful of nations that thwarted a deal on the rulebook for the Paris climate agreement.

The Morrison government drew criticism throughout the fortnight-long conference for planning to use carryover credits, an accounting measure linked to the expiring Kyoto protocol, to meet the 2030 emissions target it set at the Paris summit four years ago."

15. Cyclonic

It's a big issue here at the moment Oddy, we know the fires are part and parcel of the Australian landscape, they've always been here and always will be. This is a dry, hot place, so fires are part of life here. But we (the people) also feel that we cheat the global system when it comes to fighting global warming.

We don't like too much about the hand we play in global warming either. We are the biggest exporter of coal in the world. More than double the next highest exporter. We are also the second largest exporter of iron ore.

The world requires iron and filthy fuel, and we're more than happy to rape our country to fulfill those needs.

It's a complicated issue.

OddDog likes this.
  16. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

A very long time ago when I was about five, there was a new kid at our school who had just arrived from Australia. On the first day that it snowed that winter he ran into the classroom from the yard and hid under his desk.

The coldest that I have been out in was about -12 in Prague. After about 20 minutes taking photographs my hands were so cold I could not use my camera anymore and had to go back to the hotel.

I certainly would not want to be on your patch of the planet with temperatures reaching 35-40 degrees on a regular basis. I was in Atlanta once to catch a flight back to Blighty and got through half a dozen bottles in a couple of hours sweating like a lawn sprinkler at 40. I generally do not do holidays to hot places as I cannot take the heat. The weather in Blighty is usually fine, just unpredictable!

Cyclonic likes this.
  17. Cyclonic

Yesterday at a place called Nullarbor in South Australia, the temp reached 49.9C. (121.8F)

18. Cyclonic

19. OddDog

Staff Member

Went across the Nullarbor plain on the Indian-Pacific Cyc - one of the most desolate yet strangely beautiful places I have ever seen. Gotta feel for the roos in that weather too - water will be hard to come by.

Cyclonic likes this.
  20. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Last month when there was extensive flooding in the north it was not too high on the BBC News
    When the M23 and the Gatwick Express line were closed by flooding it was third item on the 6 o’clock news <doh>
    I wonder if the Telegraph cartoonist Matt lives in Sussex...
    please log in to view this image