1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The easy way, the hard way and the VERY hard way.

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Blimey, I'm still trying to work that game out. Total shambles for 45 mins, then a comeback rarely seen.
    First half, same old problems, same old culprit. Alonso, a truly poor left back, and clueless defender. He's a really good wing back only, and full of danger when played in a back 4. Then Silva makes a hash of it, then James and Alonso fail to look behind them. 3-0 in 30mins.
    In attack the front 3 spent more time facing Willys' goal than the one they were attacking, watching the sideways and backwards play, wondering if someone might actually run at the defenders or make a telling pass for them to use. Only Kovacic and occasionally Kante running, just dreadful passing, balls given away, totally static , very slow and frustratingly bad play.
    2nd half minus Alonso, things improved slowly ,another cracking shot from Mount , a flash of what's needed by CHO, and Tammy, who was invisible except when fluffing 2 chances, on the spot with a tap in.
    Take the point gladly and move on. Desperately need a total rethink on midfield, the front men need better quality ball to do their jobs.

2. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

The one thing I still can’t understand is why if we’re playing a 4231 or 433 that our one fit winger is left on the bench?! So many square pegs in round holes. Hudson Odoi hasn’t been in great form recently but he changed the game when he came on just because he actually wanted to play on the wing. It just needed somebody to actually stay wide, he should’ve come on as soon it went to 3-0.

Three more avoidable goals, added to the two from last week and not much has changed from last season although I think Chilwell will improve that at least cause Alonso was dreadful today. Watching him chase their centre back when he had a 5 yard head start was painful.

Did well to come back though and good to see the “kids” getting the goals. Havertz is miles better through the middle and once we get wingers playing on the wing rather than midfielders we’ll look a lot better imo.

3. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Alonso is past it that is all. Playing two defensive midfielders against the Baggies madness. Werner was poor don't deny it. Havertz was average don't deny it. The entire team was average today hoping for better things in the future but boy oh boy Werner is not worth what we paid for him nor his German counterpart.
    Don't get me started on the defending I may just commit suicide.

4. The Ginger Marks

**** performance, crappy tactics. James took 3 corners that never beat the first man, only plays worthy of praise was Mount, Tammy & Odoi.

5. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

Our formation needs a huge shake up. It’s almost as if Frank can’t bear to axe players for the sake of the team.
    Several players are being played out for position and I can’t seem to work out why, other than he wants to get them in the team whilst having others there too.
    We need to move away from 433 unless we are axing kovacic and Jorginho. We have the players now to accommodate a change so why hasn’t it happened?
    I’m not going to blame the players on this but the formation and first half tactics.

I’m keen to see what Mendy can bring to the team. Kepas time has come. Simple as.

here’s what I’d like to see:

mendy
    James Silva Rudiger Chilwell
    Kante
    Pulisic Mount Ziyech
    Havertz
    Werner

playing a 4-1-3-2

clearly the existing system isn’t working so why not try and play to our strengths. The quality is there for sure. Our defence needs to lose the old guard and get some new blood in. I’m sure Tomori and Zouma would be miles better having had a season with Silva, let’s see.

6. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

That looks as good as we've got to me. Would be a tad careful about Reece James, his defence is pretty hit or miss, especially at set pieces. He will surely improve but I'd be happy to rotate him for a couple of months with Dave.
    What I'd really like to see though is James and Chilwell as part of our go forward, and make those runs we know they can.We have been so bloody static it's painful to watch. Get the ball ,stop, look sideways , pass backwards. Then the entire forward process stops, the front 3 turn towards our back 4 waiting to see what's happening, eventually a midfielder runs a few metres, stops, looks sideways and so it goes on. Dreadful, when so many can run like blazes and have the skills to do so.