1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The English press

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by vinkel, Apr 27, 2021.

1. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

For someone who is so "neutral" you seem to rush to the "defence" of Bonko every time someone criticises him in an almost partisan way. Tell me why I am not allowed to criticise Alexander/Boris? Is he beyond criticism?[/QUOTE]
    No, I rush to criticise childish muck raking and damaging partisanship in politics. You criticise BJ as much as you like, but criticise him for his political decisions, not because he decorated a flat <ok>

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

No, I rush to criticise childish muck raking and damaging partisanship in politics. You criticise BJ as much as you like, but criticise him for his political decisions, not because he decorated a flat <ok>[/QUOTE]
    Muck raking? Johnson has consistently refused to answer the question on who INITIALLY paid for the refurb. That tells me it wasn't him,so he later paid for it after the "donor" did initally because he "got caught". If I walk out of John Lewis with a television without paying and get stopped by the store detectives, I cannot rectify the theft by offering to pay for it because I got caught stealing. If there is no greater punishment than simply paying what I should have done in the first place, then I have nothing to lose by attempting to steal it first. After all the worst that can happen to me is I have to pay for the television, and at best I can get away without paying at all. WIN WIN <laugh>

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  3. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Loathe them or hate them, the Tories now play the game far better than anyone else. They've got the glorified sixth-formers looking like desperate perennial whingers, frantically screeching about resignations over issues the electorate doesn't give a **** about. There's a major shift in approach required if Labour want to get back in power.

Makemstine Roger and rooch 3 like this.
  4. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

And you mean a major shift in approach mate.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  5. rooch 3

No, I rush to criticise childish muck raking and damaging partisanship in politics. You criticise BJ as much as you like, but criticise him for his political decisions, not because he decorated a flat <ok>[/QUOTE]
    You seem to have forgotten you are arguing with someone who would be backing Micheal Foot if Keir Starmer hadn’t been voted in.

6. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

You seem to have forgotten you are arguing with someone who would be backing Michael Foot if Keir Starmer hadn’t been voted in.[/QUOTE]

i think he is related to Burgess MaClean and Philby

rooch 3 likes this.
  7. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

You need to leave your personal obsession with one man if you are to see the matter clearly.

The salary for the top job in the UK is pathetic, and leads to PMs cashing in after office.

As for politicians needing to be as pure as the driven snow, fair enough, as long as all are treated to the same level of examination. They are not at all, and most people see it.

People vote on instinct, self interest, and sometimes along tribal lines. This last reason is disintegrating, and why Labour is in terminal decline.

8. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

I do not have an obsession with one man. The man you speak of has so many faults the list is endless, but the subject of the thread is the cash for cushions coverage in the press, that is entirely about Boris Johnson, so I fail to see who else I could talk about in the thread. As for Labour, who by the way I have never mentioned, the SNP taking away Labour votes in Scotland is the main reason for the decline in votes cast for them. People can vote for whom so ever they like that is there prerogative, but please do not insult my intelligence by excusing the scandal after scandal that arises from the Tories. The Faecesbook readership may succumb to the echo chamber of sweetness and light portrayal of a bunch of corrupt Old Etonians being for the working classes but the stench of them commiting benefit fraud on an industrial scale with public funds is absolutely disgusting and cheapens politics as a whole, not just their own party.

9. Makemstine Roger

says the love child of Burgess Maclean and Philby

farnboromackem likes this.
  10. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Well, if you believe all of that
    , the subject is beyond discussion.

11. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

And if you believe what you say it definitely is. Good night.

12. Makemstine Roger

13. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

For me , if they spend time doing another job , then they’re treating the MPs job as part time . I want my constituency (and me)to be afforded full attention and commitment

DH4 and Makemstine Roger like this.
  14. Makemstine Roger

all of the ****ers who have another job should only be paid party time, anyone not taking up a seat after signing in should get nowt, make them pay for their own meals not subsidies same with the booze, anyone falling asleep loses the money bunch of ****s.

15. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Must be true then. :)

DH4 likes this.
  16. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

I presume that the reason that The Press goes after Boris so much is because he is such an easy target.

Always happy to play the clown, I can't work out if he's a clever person playing the idiot, or an idiot happy in his skin.

To be fair he is worth his considerable weight in entertainment value.
    He regularly makes me smile, and since he's a Polititian, that takes some doing.

BUT, he's the Prime Minister.
    Making ME smile should not be his main attribute.

As for the current contoversy, whats the problem?
    It's by no means unknown for Politicians to twist the rules when it comes to Property costs.
    The Expenses Scandal showed us all just how flexible and creative they could be when it came to dipping their sticky fingers into the Public Purse.
    Peter Mandleson had to resign from Government after a borrowing from a collegue who's company was under investigation by his owen department.

And I only quote Mandleson for balance purposes.
    I am not so simple as to believe that corruption is the perogitive of only one party.
    I follow the advice of Mr Shakespere with his 'a pox on both your houses', in this.

17. rooch 3

It sounds as though you are insinuating that there’s a simple chap on this forum<laugh>

18. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

Not at all.
    But at school we were taught the basic rules of debate which required us to look at BOTH sides of any topic.
    I always TRY to do this, though I don't always succeed.

But IF I were only to see the world using that old chestnut, 'My Country is always Right', then I would tend to set myself up as a very easy target. And I would deny myself the opportunity of criticising half of the Politicians on the basis that Party Loyaly might mean more that truth anmd honesty.
    And the idea that one party of politicians are all Saints, while the others are all devils forms no part of my philosophy.
    I have witnessed 'The Profumo affair' and the maschinations of T Dan Smith, and his team.
    These are the sort of things that tend to turn anyone who was brought up to vote for a particulr party, into something of cynic

rooch 3 and clockstander like this.
  19. rooch 3

My thoughts exactly<ok>

20. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Chuck our lot in with Scotland that's what I say.

Makemstine Roger and DH4 like this.