1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Environment

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

2. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

What is this meant to prove Saffy ? Whether or not a person believes in climate change does not alter the fact that it is entirely logical to assume that if you keep pumping poison into the atmosphere then something negative is going to happen. Our mistake is in assuming that the World belongs to us exclusively - it doesn't.

3. Saf

It doesn't prove anything. It was lighthearted. I believe in climate change.

I'd also wipe humans from the face of the earth in a heartbeat and hand it back to the animals.

4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think that has already happened in some places. :emoticon-0100-smile

Saf likes this.
  5. Saf

Tell me about it. Bloody rats have took over Brussels <steam>

superhorns likes this.
  6. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Maybe 10 Downing street could lend Larry before the poor little chap gets kicked.

7. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

There would be much disquiet if some MPs ruined Brexit by putting themselves before the democratic

8. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Is this Commendable thread now in danger of drifting into a sea of I am right you are wrong polemic that we had some agreement to call a stop too awhile back?

Deleted....... likes this.
  9. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

They’ve tried that out successfully in Luton.

10. andytoprankin

Sorry, yorkie. Mea culpa. I find it difficult not to draw political conclusions from the state we are in and will be in. I’ll try to keep a lid on it. I didn’t know there was an agreement, must’ve happened during summer when I was busy elsewhere.

<ok>

Deleted....... likes this.

11. andytoprankin

One last one. :emoticon-0142-happy

Hundreds of thousands of those people are now dead. Their will has been replaced by young Europeans. Since when did democracy mean representing the will of the dead??? If that is to be the case, I would like to use the results of the dead voters of the 1945 GE and the Labour landslide that built this country’s NHS and national infrastructure, the selling of which “family silver” (to quote a former Tory PM) funded so many tax cuts for the rich.

Vives les morts! <doh>

12. yorkshirehornet

No worry... just there are posters who just seek to engage in political ping-pong and we have seen where that got us previously..

andytoprankin likes this.
  13. andytoprankin

:emoticon-0111-blush

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

A government report has been published looking into the effects of climate change on the UK food supplies from abroad. One thing that it stated was that water supplies should be looked into. "Water consumption across the UK should be set at 100 litres (22 gallons) per person per day", the MPs found.
    Campaign groups welcomed the report, saying, “For far too long we’ve left our vital food supply to be dominated by complex global supply chains and the junk food industry. We now have a highly vulnerable, unsustainable and inefficient food system that needs to be repaired using all the tools available."

We know full well that the UK cannot grow some food items because of the weather, and we are in a perilous state importing all our water purification chemicals from abroad. The "free market" has brought about the importation of the junk food, and the supply chains have made people expect the supermarkets to have a never ending supply of fresh products. Do we have to change people's expectations of what they will find on the shelves? A certain amount of production could be increased in the UK itself, but nowhere near enough to cover for what is currently imported. Whatever happens in the short term can be mitigated to some extent by bold laws to make the country less reliant upon imports, but long term it needs the nations of the world to act together if we are to prevent a global food and water shortage.

15. colognehornet

This is related to another problem Frenchie in that something like a half of our food crops are dependent upon insect pollination. At least 60 crops are, more or less, pollinated exclusively by bumble bees - and in rainy, stormy and colder springs most of our local fruit crops. Even the professional apple orchards are, increasingly, replacing honey bee pollination with that of bumble bees (when possible) because it is more reliable. Unfortunately our buzzing friends are becoming fewer and fewer as time goes by - due to changes in the landscape, insecticides, pollution, lack of nesting places, and the competition from an ever increasing domesticated honeybee population. It is beyond me how someone can possibly want to help wild bees and, as a result, decide to be a professional, or hobby, beekeeper. A bit like opening a chicken farm to help wild birds <doh> If Britain wants to produce more of its own food it has to improve the survival conditions for wild bees and a whole host of other pollinating insects.

16. yorkshirehornet

Well said..
    I think we all need to consider our responsibility in this in all aspects of our consumption..

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I quite agree. I have spent some time watching what insects are going from flower to flower on things like beans. Some are very small and don't look like bees at all, but do seem to do the job of pollinating. There does seem to be a major effort here to reduce the amount and type of insecticides used, which from some comments I have seen is meeting approval from many of the public. The supermarkets that I see now have large areas devoted to insecticide free produce. It is a bit more expensive, but must sell as the area is expanding quite rapidly.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  18. colognehornet

When something like the firm Thomas Cook goes broke - only then do you realize the scale of the problem facing us. You suddenly realize that over 150,000 British holiday makers were, at that moment in time, stranded (the poor dears) after having used cheap flights to, mostly, unnecessary holidays - mostly package ones in which their money didn't actually reach the pockets of local people. That is just one firm and one nation - how many millions Worldwide are currently doing the same thing ? When are we finally going to knock these cheap flights on the head ? If, after all the publicity of climate change and the knowledge of the contribution which flying makes to that people can still indulge in this (often several times per year) then, if they get stranded as a result, they can bloody well walk back !

19. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

You need to be well connected to Jesus to be able to walk across the channel. :emoticon-0100-smile

I'm sure most of these unfortunate souls would not swop Benidorm or Antalya for Bognor in the rain. Millions of ordinary people are employed in holiday businesses in Europe because of our tourists. If you want to increase the vast army of unemployed in many Southern European countries then stop the flights.

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I think that what we have seen is not just about flying, but the business model that is used throughout UK companies. We have seen companies go bust carrying out government contracts relying on the next contract to keep the money flowing. Thomas Cook were paying the hotels after 60-90 days. Go into the local supermarket, fill your trolley, and suggest that you pay in three months time. These large operations can get away with it because of their size. This is all hidden debt, and companies as well as Joe Public add to it with the use of credit cards.
    I am very much in favour of people getting out of where they live and finding out how others get by in this world. The narrow minded view that Margate is great, but I would rather spend a holiday in Majorca seems very hypocritical to me. Maybe some of those who like to take the short breaks should read Robert Louis Stevenson's book, Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes. As he said, "Alas, as we get up in life, and are more preoccupied with our affairs, even a holiday is a thing that must be worked for.