1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Environment

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Nov 29, 2015.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

They get round it every time............

2. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

We were meant to have a 'Green Brexit' and better environmental standards than staying in the EU.

Looks like we're getting a Brown Brexit instead...

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Southern Water seem to be pumping raw sewerage into the sea again.

On Friday, posting on Hayling Sewage Watch, one woman said: ‘The water quality at West Beach on Hayling was absolutely disgusting today.

‘Last Sunday there was a whole layer of raw sewage floating on the surface of the water.

‘Today it was a band of smelly sediment in the shallower water, you couldn’t even see your feet in a foot of water.’

‘Every pace had two maybe three items of it – wet wipes, sanitary towels, sewage-related litter.

Bring back EU standards and stop companies doing such things.

And at the other end of the country sewerage is being pumped into lakes with damaging results.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/08/sewage-could-leave-windermere-lake-ecologically-dead

4. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

So why was she was standing in it?<yikes>

Toby likes this.
  5. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Isn’t that like the joke where a man walks into a pub holding a dog turd, saying:
    “Look what I nearly trod in!”

Toby and Bolton's Boots like this.
  6. yorkshirehornet

I see that that Chris Packhams home has been subjected to an arson attack. He wants to stop the hunt....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  7. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Aren't people who like hunting Toffs? If so why would they resort to such tactics. Then again those who kill animals for fun are pathetic.

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Certainly agree that people who kill animals for fun are pathetic. Where I lived in England we had three different hunts roaming the fields around us, and I l knew a few people who used to join in. The ones I knew certainly weren't toffs, just people with fairly normal jobs who enjoyed the chance to ride across fields that were normally not open to them. I also rather doubt that any of them were likely arsonists.

9. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Where I used to live they rode across any field whether it was open to them or not Frenchie as if the whole of nature belonged to them. We're talking about the Devon and Somerset Staghounds here - I knew people who belonged to them and plenty of the self employed on Exmoor knew that if you said anything against them then your work would dry up ! With so many more pressing themes the main political one there was whether you were for or against the hunt - unfortunately the latter group remained silent too often. When they built a fence around Porlock so that they could hunt the stags against it we sabotaged it in several places with wire cutters.

andytoprankin likes this.
  10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I guess that this was so long ago that you can no longer be prosecuted for criminal damage. :bandit: My pleasure was derived by sending the riders who had become detached from the hunt in the opposite direction to where I knew they had gone.

andytoprankin likes this.

11. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

I think it’s vile, and no different to badger baiting, dog fighting or hare coarsing. I think the ‘toffs’ would definitely encourage others to commit crime to threaten off those against hunting, and the mindless pricks who did attack the magnificent Mr Packham should have long spells inside.

Scullion likes this.
  12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

A falcon was recently tracked migrating from South Africa all the way to Finland. In 42 days she flew over 10,000 km in almost straight lines, at speeds of the 230 km/day. Amazing what happens when you don't need a passport to be checked at borders.

Bolton's Boots and Toby like this.
  13. Bolton's Boots

I used to own a Ford Falcon which managed 230 km/hour. Earned me a $250 speeding fine once...

14. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Amazingly not shot down by a missile looking at the countries the bird travelled over! Brave bird.

15. yorkshirehornet

Amazing... Crane flying over our house this week from Norway to Africa... very beautiful sight

16. Bolton's Boots

Could you reroute them to Felixstowe - I hear they're badly needed there.

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

18. Bolton's Boots

I doubt he did mean it if this is to be believed. He is apparently asking mining 'giant' Adani to the summit to talk - I think most on here will know of my intense dislike for Adani and the environmental damage he has caused in his own country - and is currently causing in Queensland.

I'd ask everyone here to sign and share this petition aimed at stopping his attendance...

https://actions.sumofus.org/a/boris...akid=96066.6775951.6JzYLB&rd=1&source=fwd&t=9

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    yorkshirehornet likes this.
  19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The government is to reject calls to place a legal duty on water companies to reduce raw sewage discharges into rivers.

MPs will debate the environmental bill on Wednesday in its final stages through parliament, and clean water campaigners want them to back what they say is a key amendment on sewage that was agreed in the House of Lords.

Why?

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Did a relatively small shop in LeClerc today, yet still had a 2'.0" long till role. Then went to SuperU and received no till role at all. You flash your loyalty card at the scanner and before you have left the car park your phone lets you know that you have received details of your purchases electronically. Ok it is a small thing, but over a year there must be a huge amount of paper used, some of which will no doubt not come from recycled waste.