1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Environment

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Nov 29, 2015.

1. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

Obviously having a chat with God about some rain, same as the French Government are obviously doing

Talk about hypocrisy, the whole world in in chaos and all you can do is complain about what the British Government are not doing to save the planet

2. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

In fairness, duggie, ofh has posted about problems in France, too. I think it’s worrying that our probable next PM answered a question about global warming with how we should better recycle our home refuse. Now she’s saying no windfall tax on energy companies because windfall profits are not a bad thing. A lot of people will die this winter, and the French govt seem to have done more to protect the vulnerable.

There is genuine fear this has gone too far to bring back, and that even now the world’s governments will not react quickly enough to mitigate disaster in case it damages them in the polls. It’s a very worrying time for the kids of the future, but I don’t think we are now talking about how this will be a problem for future generations - it’s going to hit us all from now too. I only hope that might be enough to focus us collectively.

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

4. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

For how long though? There is a very great fear here that the UK government is 'coming for our water', with plans to treat it in similar fashion to the electricity generated here - ie simply take it whilst charging us for the privilege of giving it.

One more step on the road to the inevitable though - independence.

5. andytoprankin

Yeah, making things even worse for us. :(

6. duggie2000

I only semi spat my dummy out because a couple of ex pats always take eery opportunity to slag off Britain while their adopted counties are doing the same or worse but no-one comments on
    that

But every cloud

We are top of the league

andytoprankin likes this.
  7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Having posted a picture firstly taken in France, then another one taken in Germany, it didn't seem unfair to post one from the UK. I assumed that you had only seen the last one. It didn't seem that I was being selective, but there you go.

8. duggie2000

Fair enough

The current situation needs a world wide response and a global plan

No chance of that while Russia and China see how far they can push the west without starting World War Three

But that is a entirely different debate

9. andytoprankin

It does need global plan, duggie, but I have so little faith in any of the important players, on world level, and definitely local level. All 'leaders' domestically are a shower of spineless twats (there's a mixed metaphor if ever there was one!). I know so many people who are more capable, more professional, individuals than what is on offer. And I can't be alone in that.

(PS Typing in moving car. Before I edited it, my autocorrect had me address you as 'druggie' <laugh>)

Hornet-Fez and duggie2000 like this.
  10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

11. andytoprankin

That’s terrific, ofh. Love it. We can be innovative and brilliant as human beings. This is us at our best.

12. Bolton's Boots

From what I've been reading about privatised water companies in England, it's not plastic in the rivers that's the problem. I could just imagine the 'stink' if the bubbles brought sewage to the surface and moved it to the side as well. :emoticon-0119-puke:

13. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

This government have allowed them to dump raw sewage into rivers and onto our beaches. This oh so f*****g patriotic bunch of flag waving gits and their brexit benefits. Not to take away from this fantastic invention, but it's Dutch innit? Can't have britain lagging behind, eh?

14. Bolton's Boots

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The house I grew up in in Bushey was built in 1910. It came with a walk in larder on the north side of the house, and with a marble shelf kept food fresh except in a heatwave. If it turned hot the milk was stood in a bucket of cold water. My mother who was there until 1995 never needed a fridge.

Bolton's Boots and Hornet-Fez like this.
  16. Bolton's Boots

I left home in 1967 and my family hadn't had the need for a fridge up to then - all I can recollect us having was a meat safe. With most of that time having been spent in Edinburgh, we never really needed one.

It wasn't until I moved to Australia in 1971 that I found the need for one - mostly to keep the beer and the occasional bottle of milk cold.

17. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

My grandmothers house in Hornsey, North London had a cellar where a cupboard with a fine mesh door kept butter milk and eggs. Always cool as I remember. As the house was in a continuous terrace, the front step had a covered chute. The coal was put down the chute into a wooden bunker in the cellar. Cunning ! Keeping the stone step clean was a duty everyone performed in those days.

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

19. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

20. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member