1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The EU thread ... first 100 weeks

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Oct 22, 2020.

1. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

With the UK about to come out of the transition period where EU laws and regulations were still being observed, more and more Brexit stories are bound to surface in the news.

Along with the Pandemic, Brexit probably has the power to affect all our lives more than anything else this coming year. So it is only natural that we would want to discuss it.
    Those discussions can be held in this thread.

WARNING

We have all been very responsible in the way we've behaved here since the subject of Brexit was effectively banned.
    However the subject has proven extremely divisive - more so than COVID19 even.

Please everybody (myself included) temper our Brexit opinions if we can with respect for other members.
    This very important topic should not be a source of bitterness between us that then spills over into other threads and spoils the atmos of the whole forum.

So this subject will be moderated.
    • Any references to Brexit in other threads will be edited out, or posts deleted if necessary.
    • Any other threads created with Brexit as the theme will be merged into this thread.
    Please keep all Brexit related posts and content in THIS thread only.

I very much hope it will not be necessary to do any editing or post deleting.
    However, if acrimony over this subject looks as if it is threatening the friendly nature of our whole community here on Not606, this entire thread will be deleted and the whole subject of Brexit will be forbidden for discussion.

This is a freedom-loving forum.
    I'm proud that we can discuss pretty much anything here (beyond Charlton Athletic and football) without fear of censorship.
    We are as free as it's possible to be, to express our thoughts and feelings on life.
    Let's not diminish that freedom by ending up with any 'forbidden' subjects, especially one as important as Brexit.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

Is this a wise idea? (The thread, I mean)

dick plumb likes this.
  3. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

I think Brexit has been done to death, will not be commenting any further on it.

The Penguin likes this.
  4. lardiman

Forum Moderator

A further word of explanation;

Brexit is very much in the background at the moment in our lives, but the closer we get to the New Year, the more it will come to the fore again I think. Especially if talks with the EU fail and we face the possibility of falling back onto WTO rules.

Some of the consequences (at least in the short term) could really be felt by some or all of us.
    I think in those circumstances members may wish to express their views on unfolding events.

I did not want those debates to spring up randomly on other threads, and begin to distract us un a disruptive kind of way,
    So I though I would pre-empt that possibility by creating a new Brexit thread, to keep the (possibly volatile) debates contained somewhere everybody knows.

If it turns out that nothing dramatic happens in the New Year, and members feel they still have nothing new to say on Brexit that's no problem at all. This thread can remain quiet, and perhaps be deleted later.
    Nobody is required to read it or post in it of course. It is just here as an option.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I thought it better to have an option to discuss future Brexit developments with some ground-rules in place, rather than have the subject cropping up again in a random kind of way that might cause avoidable problems.

dick plumb likes this.
  6. The Penguin

I'm concerned that it's such a divisive subject that future developments will be interpreted in wildly different ways according to people's position pre-referendum. At last we seem to have unity among Charlton fans, and there are other less divisive issues than Brexit which could keep Not606 busy.

Sandman likes this.
  7. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I think it would be better to give this a swerve. I'm not planning to post on this.

The Penguin likes this.
  8. The Pub Landlord

The Pub Landlord Well-Known Member

I strongly recommend the Gresham lectures by Professor Vernon Bogdanor, which can be seen at the following links:

(The decision to seek entry into the Common Market)

(The referendum of 1975)

(Britain and the EU - in or out? One year on)

(Brexit and the future of Britain)

The first two were part of a series of 6 which dealt with Britain's relationship with Europe. The latter two are more recent.

Bogdanor is at great pains to conceal his own opinions - he simply lays out facts in favour of joining/remaining and in favour of not joining / leaving. The advantage of his lectures is that he is factually unimpeachable and gives reliable facts on which to base an opinion.

Whatever your point of view, I am sure everyone will find something to interest and educate.

He is probably our most eminent commentator on political history and contemporary politics. I am a big fan.

lardiman likes this.
  9. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I was by-and-large with Farage on Brexit, but I am against him on this;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54777346

I'm glad he is changing the name of his party to 'Reform UK' as I don't want supporting Brexit to be associated with opposing lockdowns.
    There is no connection at all between the two things in my mind.

I guess Farage might claim they are both to do with freedom from oppressive authorities.
    But I willingly surrender some freedoms temporarily in order to help save lives from Coronavirus.
    That is totally different from having no say in freedoms surrendered a generation ago, to a common market that then morphed into a Federal superstate.

Sorry Nigel, I think you're wrong on this issue.
    And I think you're going to attract some pretty strange supporters; probably including the Anti-Vacc brigade and 5G conspiracy nuts.

10. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

Farage is a despicable weasel and a hypocrite.

Ken Shabby likes this.

11. Sandman

Sandman Active Member

Nigel Rules! Proper geezer.

Seriously, why would anyone resurrect a topic that has caused fellow fans to fall out.

Maybe Lardi can explain, as it's beyond me.

12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Brexit is real. The transition period ends in about 8 weeks.
    The changes that follow could affect all our lives.

If folks wish to discuss it they can do so here.
    But If you don't want to talk about it then just don't look in on this thread.

13. Sandman

Sandman Active Member

May I look without posting? OMG, I've done that...you got us all there.

14. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Tiresome wind-up merchant.

15. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

Don’t suppose you can Lardy but the ignore button is a marvellous thing

dick plumb likes this.
  16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Unfortunately I can't ignore Sandman.
    Can't moderate his posts (should that be required) if I cannot see what he's saying.

Like any other member, he can comment here if he wishes to - despite saying he does not think Brexit should be discussed on this forum.
    I only suggested he not look in here if he does not wish to join the debate on this thread.

All opinions are welcome here, as they are in any Not606 thread.
    But messages that disrespect the thread and are just wind-up posts will be deleted from now on.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  17. The Pub Landlord

The Pub Landlord Well-Known Member

I have always had respect for Farage but the timing of this is so close to the launch of Laurence Fox's new venture that I winder whether the aim is to spike Fox and not lose his place as the public's go-to leader for protest.

lardiman likes this.
  18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I was not aware of 'Reclaim' - just looked it up on Wiki.
    Seems to be an anti-Woke, anti-PC movement. Farage territory no doubt.

I'm pretty tired of Woke and PC myself. Getting called all kinds of names for daring to have a view that is not politically correct. The intolerance of these people really is breathtaking.
    But I don't believe that Individual Freedom is more important than a commitment to helping save lives in a dire crisis.
    So I'll not be supporting Nigel Farage on the issue of lockdowns.

But I'll always appreciate his crucial role in giving a vote on membership of the EU to the British People.
    Farage wholeheartedly believed in that cause - unlike the fool Cameron, who thought he could use it to bolster his career.

The Pub Landlord likes this.
  19. Sandman

Sandman Active Member

I'm hoping to bear his children.

20. The Penguin

Serious question- What does WOKE stand for? I see it as a form of invective, but can't quite get the hang of it.