1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The EU thread ... first 100 weeks

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Oct 22, 2020.

1. The Punter’s Pal

The Punter’s Pal Well-Known Member

I’m thoroughly enjoying watching the salty news coverage of the deal on Channel 4 news and Sky <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

It’s like watching coverage of a Liverpool victory on MUTV.

lardiman likes this.
  2. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

3. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

As a remainer I never wanted us to leave the EU. Having said that it was the will of the people. You can't cherry pick what parts of democracy you like. or dislike. I am pleased that Johnson has a deal. In the coming years we face a huge problem with Covid, Jobs industry, the huge debt we are racking up. I feel that life will never be the same post Covid. We all need to pull together and try to get this great Country back on its feet.

4. The Punter’s Pal

“ The EU, President Macron, Charles Aznavour, Sepp Blatter, Nigel Williamson,Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys, the British Labour Party, the BBC, and of course, the Guardian.

You just took one hell of a beating <laugh>

64447DDB-2A98-45FF-8C40-4BE97CBB6F5C.jpeg

5. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

I think this sort of triumphalism is out of place.

6. The Punter’s Pal

It’s the greatest political day of my lifetime.

Boris proved all of his detractors (including you and a few others wrong) and faces down the French & got us a deal.

We are leaving that stinking, rotten and undemocratic club in a week on our terms.

To the victor, the spoils.

7. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

not entirely on our terms but certainly on agreed terms <ok>

The Punter’s Pal likes this.
  8. The Punter’s Pal

Terms that are entirely acceptable & worth paying in order to get our democracy & sovereignty back <cheers>

9. The Pub Landlord

The Pub Landlord Well-Known Member

I was always a leaver and was concerned that Brexit would never be delivered.

Whilst we await the fine details of the agreements that will follow withdrawal from CAP and CFP, the House of Commons now becomes fully accountable for national policy instead of being effectively a regional council that ratifies what is sent to it from Brussels and the House of Lords can return to being the check on what the HoC proposes instead of the pointles entity it currently is. Additionally I hope our Courts are now prevalent and that we do not need to submit "final" appeal decisions to the European court for ratification (or overturning ...). I look forward to reading the final agreement once it is published.

As you rightly say, this is now the time for all responsible people to work together to ensure that the country thrives from this point on.

I am cautiously optimistic, but I fear there are too many people in positions of power that will not be responsible and will try to thwart the progress of the country in its new situation.

10. deleted.....

Dominic Grieve doing what he always does and throws his toys out of his pram because he was hoping that no deal would be done..... so he could have said "I told you so"

11. The Punter’s Pal

12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

This is just about the best non-pandemic news we could have had today :emoticon-0157-sun:

No-deal would have been a disgrace.
    All the hard work that has gone into this during recent years - they had to get it over the line.
    Tariff-free trade is what really matters, especially to small businesses like the one I work for.

I'm not too bothered if holidaymakers have to fill in more forms or queue up to get their passports checked.
    I never go abroad on holiday.
    Besides, by definition holidays are luxuries. And there is a wide range of destinations available both at home and in other parts of the world.

This trade deal is a massive piece of good news for all of us <applause>

13. deleted.....

Just above this one?

14. deleted.....

It will be tariff free but not paperwork free

15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

In keeping with the modern trend for removing uncomfortable (and annoying) words from building names, street names and forum threads, I have renamed this one
    The EU thread.

All EU and Brexit related posts will be moved here if they pop up anywhere else <ok>

16. The Punter’s Pal

British laws now made by elected British politicians, and interpreted by British judges in British courts.

No ECJ.

deleted..... and lardiman like this.
  17. deleted.....

Getting rid of the ECJ was very important for me.

The Punter’s Pal likes this.
  18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Vaccinations are supposedly beginning today in all 27 EU countries, in what a top official has called a "touching moment of unity".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55456795

Some EU nations (Germany among them) decided that the urgency of vaccination need was more important than a show of unity across the EU, so began vaccinating their people 24 hours early.

In my mind, this raises two very serious questions;
    • If the UK was still a member of the EU, would we only have begun vaccinating our people today rather than weeks ago, in order to toe the line on this "touching moment of unity"?
    • If the answer to question 1 is NO (because we invoked an emergency vaccination permission clause which was available to us as we are still operating within EU regulations until 31st December) why did Germany and other countries not use exactly the same emergency procedure in order to begin vaccinating their people at the same time we began vaccinating ours?
    It looks like Germany and the other countries of the EU placed more importance on acting together in a "moment of unity" than the potential saving of lives that would come from beginning vaccinations at the same time we began in the UK.
    At least until 24 hours ago.

Centralised EU politics placed before National priorities.
    Not just in matters of economics or political ideology.
    In matters of life or death.

Am I wrong to interpret events this way?
    If so, I would welcome a detailed explanation. Because it really looks to me as though Brussels has told the 27 countries still in its orbit when they can begin saving the lives of their own citizens.

19. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I see the Arch Remoaners and Brexit wreckers are coming out of the woodwork for one last desperate attempt to deny the will of the British People;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55474148

Shame on the SNP, Liberal Democrats, and so-called 'rebel' Labour & Tory MPs.
    All happy to plunge this country into economic anarchy rather than set aside their selfish pride and do what's best for the folk they are supposed to represent in Parliament.

Opponents of this trade deal (whichever part of the political spectrum you're on), a message to you.
    Whether you never wanted to leave the EU or would only accept 'No Deal' - have the maturity to admit you've lost.
    Get behind the elected majority Government and help to make this deal work for the whole of the Country.
    Don't wreck everything now. You won't be forgiven.

I sincerely hope there are enough Conservative and Labour MP's in Westminster who understand loyalty, democracy and common sense to carry the Deal.
    Keir Starmer is doing the right thing giving his support to it.
    He's got his faults, but he is a moderate and a pragmatist who understands how important this is.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Smudger603 and deleted..... like this.
  20. lardiman

Forum Moderator

The 'ayes' have it! - by a massive 521 to 73 in the Commons

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55478513

Well done all sensible MP's <applause>
    Now it's time to look to the future :emoticon-0157-sun:

Only EU Parliament approval now required.
    Let's hope none of the 27 member nations decides to be stupid.

This will be the ultimate test of the European Union's good faith.
    If this goes wrong, the blame will come down with full weight on the European Commission and Brussels.
    Not whichever patsy actually uses their veto.

We are watching now.