1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The EU thread ... first 100 weeks

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Oct 22, 2020.

1. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

RIP David Sassoli

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59947211

President of something called the European Parliament.
    Ever heard of it?
    No. Me neither.
    I looked it up though. It's a rubber stamp for the unelected European Commission.

2. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

They have European elections every four years don't they? That was how farage ended up there waving his tiny flag when Vote Leave won. Shall we move on to the House of Lords, that fine unelected rubber stamp house in the UK? As I'm sure I have seen you say you don't like it either, it's probably a pointless discussion, but unelected people are hardly an exclusive EU thing, and I have yet to see the House of Lords going under scrutiny by the Brexiters who wanted out either. Merely Boris nominating more Lords from anyone who pays the Tories a bung.

Ubedizzy likes this.
  3. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I agree the House of Lords is an anachronism and a disgrace in the 21st Century.
    But at least the elected Commons has the final say.

In the EU the Commission tail assuredly wags the Parliament dog, all day long.

Sorry for blowing the dust off this old chestnut.
    No offence meant really <peacedove>
    I was just a bit bored.
    Waiting for the Addicks to slaughter Crewe tomorrow <whistle>

4. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

I get the feeling that People have lost their appetite for debate on B****t. Leavers and remainers.

5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

The Government is set to take the next logical step along the route of reforming laws and rules put in place during our EU membership era.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60191402

Disappointing that the BBC should choose to highlight how this move will upset pro-EU politicians in the devolved administrations.
    It would make no sense at all to leave the EU, and then just allow a vast mountain of EU era legislation to continue indefinitely.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  6. The Penguin

I'm afraid Brexit has created the red tape for those firms which trade with our nearest neighbours, and now in typical Boris fashion, he talks of getting rid of that red tape to "unleash Brexit". Clever use of language to appeal to Brexiteers, it's what he's good at.

7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

The excessive and frankly ridiculous extra paperwork preventing smooth trade is down to the EU (France in particular) not acting in good faith.
    You cannot have a successful trading arrangement between two parties when one party wants the arrangement to fail.
    Remember, as far as the EU is concerned Britain must be 'punished' for leaving the Union.

So I'm all in favour of our Government releasing business from as much red tape as it is within its power to do,
    As long as those measures don't lead to unsafe consequences.

Copy & pasting EU law into British law was a sensible means to transition.
    Now I agree it's time to begin to move away from copy & pasted EU regs.
    I accept others may have a different view. That's fair enough.

8. The Penguin

Indeed. And I predict we'll be hearing more about B****t in the coming days/weeks from the government, with possibly a row or two with the French.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  9. Ken Shabby

Did I see this correctly? Regarding the NI protocol, Johnson claims it is crazy to have customs checks on goods circulating within the single market of the UK? It is!!
    So why did you agree it, railroad it through parliament, and tell everyone whst a great deal you' d signed you complete and utter tool? Did you think the EU were going to allow a free for all at a borde with a third country? Or that the EU would roll over for your corrupt government to impose whstever lies you sold the electorate on them?

Fact is the Tories/DUP provoked this, sold it to the public andvthen found reality bites. And now as the partygate news rolls on, he thinks trashing another clusterfuck he signed off will distract from his embarassing behaviour. The guy needs to be imprisoned.

10. lardiman

Forum Moderator

There are two red lines that cannot be crossed in my opinion.
    Two things that matter more than Britain's independence from the EU.
    And these things I have always believed in.

1. There must never again be a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

2. Northern Ireland must never be manoeuvered into leaving the Union with Great Britain by political trickery, or any other method than the free consent of its population.

I'm a staunch Leave voter.
    But I would rather the UK re-joins the European Union than see either of those red lines crossed.
    Peace and a better future for everybody on the island of Ireland matters more to me than all the problems associated with EU membership.
    And I'm not talking about giving way to terrorism.
    I'm talking about peace and self-determination.

Our politicians and EU politicians MUST get this matter sorted - or forever be damned for failing.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    Ken Shabby likes this.

11. Ken Shabby

Theres May of all people had this in her hands. The deal she took to parliament included the UK in the trade deal with the EU. meaming the borders wereb't necessary. The ERG and the DUP voted that desl down, and landed us with the Johnson government who agreed the deal now in place. And that circle can't be squared. The DUP are in political trouble. Lizz Truss is the latest moron to think she can threaten the EU into changing its policy to help a weird state that agreed a deal and now wants to renege on the bits it doesn't like. Irish posters elsewhere are convinced Irish unity will happen as the population in NI see the Tories have sold them down the river. A trade deal would be helpfull. But you need serious politicians for that. Truss, Frost, Gove, god help us Nadine Dorries and the Fat Dog are the antithesis of that. Stupid soundbite-selling politicians who said a deal would be easy are not a solution, they are a problem. And admitting the current deal was bad, has consequences, and naming and shaming the clowns who did this is beyond the scope of the Conservatives.

12. The Penguin

N.I. business is surely in a pretty good position now, being in 2 trading blocks?
    Billy Connolly nailed it when he said that anyone who listens to Boris needs professional help.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  13. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I always appreciated that the Northern Ireland question would be one of the most difficult parts of any Brexit treaty to make work.
    But I trusted our politicians and diplomats, and hoped (rather than actually believed) in the good faith of EU politicians and diplomats.
    They had an incredibly difficult task.
    But they should have been equal to it.

If there is a breakdown of civil order in Northern Ireland over this matter, I'll be bloody furious.
    Equally furious with both sides to be honest. The UK and the EU had a chance to be remembered by History for the right reasons, just as the architects of the Good Friday agreement will be remembered. The end of the worst of the Troubles was a gift beyond measure.

If the Brexit negotiators on both sides have bungled and cannot put it right, that will never be forgotten either.

14. The Penguin

Thank God we have Jacob Rees-Mogg to sort out Brexit, which has only led to increased costs, more paperwork and border delays, according to an all-party committee. The sight of Supermogg in his top hat and tails will put the fear of God into Johnny Foreigner.

15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

The price of freedom.

Go get 'em Moggy! :emoticon-0165-muscl

(only joshing)
    It'll take about a decade at this rate to see any Brexit dividend.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  16. The Penguin

According to Moggy 50 years (2018 he said that). I can't wait!

17. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

Brexit Opportunities and Government Efficiency

Or as an acronym

Bogey

<laugh>

The Penguin and lardiman like this.
  18. The Penguin

Who's that coming over the hill is it Moggy? And his Nanny.....

19. Ken Shabby

please log in to view this image

The public are tired of listening to experts. So we'll ask the Sun readers instead. I notice at the bottom of one page 'suffocating EU procurement laws were torn up' which enabled the Tories to set up a fast track system in which millions of tax payers money was funnelled into useless ppe bought fro 'fast tracked' Conservative party donors. I mean, who wouldn't want that?

20. The Penguin

This will have a certain populist appeal to many who have been influenced by this sort of rhetoric.