1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Euros 2020/2021

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, May 19, 2021.

1. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice there was a second ball in play when we equalised?
    If the boot had been on the other foot, all hell would have broken out, but I have not heard a single comment.
    Strange that.

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I thought the first half was very even and Denmark's one touch passing allowed them to penetrate dangerously. They tired after about 20 minutes in the second half though and England became more fluid in their movements and became more dominant in the balance of play.

I think that will be more difficult against Italy's counter-attacking tactics which allowed them to become dominant late on against Spain. We'll have to see what Southgate comes up with to deal with that.

3. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

On the penalty decision, my feeling is that VAR was used sensibly again. Although my personal opinion is that Sterling dived, it is nowhere near obvious that he did, so the referee's original decision was allowed to stand because he hadn't made a clear and obvious mistake. Ditto the penalty that wasn't given at around 75 minutes. Not clear, so the ref's decision stood.

This light touch is exactly how VAR should be used in my opinion. It has changed my overall view of VAR, in the sense that I now believe that it can contribute to the game if it is used wisely.

Not that I expect any of this to change the attitude of the game's administrators in England, who seem to think the point of VAR is to interfere as often as possible, undermine the ref on the pitch, and to make the fans realise who is really important in football (and it's not the fans).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  4. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Completely agree with Lisbon. It's "Schrodinger's penalty" for me. Before the ref make a decision it could be either a penalty or not, but it's so subjective that once given VAR can't overturn it. I think it's a harsh way for Denmark to go out, and certainly Schmiechel didn't deserve to concede like that. Equally it's the type of penalty which England have gone out to at plenty of tournaments in the past, so it's nice to see one go our way.

This England team have got good at the "dark arts" which the likes of Spain, Italy, etc have always been good at. Kane spent most of the game buying free-kicks and penalties in the way Grant Holt was so good at. Grealish, Sterling, Mount all had moments where you could tell they were trying very hard to commit a defender into giving away a free kick or penalty.

5. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

The 'dark arts' may create advantages through free kicks, but they also constantly break up the game and keep it from flowing. The commentators get very excited when Grealish comes on because 'he'll win a lot of free kicks'. It's a shame to see that as the primary skill of such a gifted player.

6. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I have told my boss I may or may not come into work on Monday, he seemed happy with that as long as I get my work done in time, which I thought was fair. It'll be an early morning!

7. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

I was delighted that we won, but some of the ****bagging of fans (laser pointing ffs) just leaves me speechless. Cnuts.

zogean_king and Phuketcanary like this.
  8. Phuketcanary

Phuketcanary Well-Known Member

Embarrassing to hear that schmeichel had a laser pointer shone in his face for the penalty, and that England fans booed the Danish national anthem and set off fireworks.

I know every country has its share of c*#ts but my god am I bored of having to share a nationality with the mindless neaderthal shameless yob crowd that comes out of the woodwork everytime Engurland kick a football. Then again this country has an unrepentant serial adulterer and liar as it's PM at the moment so I guess the rot goes from top to bottom these days.

9. Phuketcanary

Ha. My thoughts exactly. Typing it same time as you!

10. chinacanary

How's Busan? I cut my teeth in Jeon Ju in '97. Awesome country

11. Phuketcanary

I fly next weekend! I'll let you know

12. chinacanary

Good luck

13. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/57759050

I know the Danes were struggling in those last few minutes, but even so, I don't think we've ever before had an England team who could have matched this. Welcome to the modern game England (better late than never)!

(It reminded me of that game at Carrow Road when we scored after an unbroken sequence of 23 passes. Does anyone recall which game that was?)

zogean_king likes this.
  14. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Win or lose in the Final, Gareth Southgate comes out as something of a messiah in terms of England managers.

The only criticism I would pass was not finding a way to beat Scotland. Okay, the Scots were well up for the game as that was essentially their Euro Cup Final, but this England team is/was more than capable of giving them a good beating. It made no difference as far as the group was concerned but it was still a very disappointing result against one of the worst teams in the competition.

15. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

Shirker.

16. zogean_king

Yep, considering work want me to take leave because I have built up half a year's supply over the past 10 years (mostly since covid because I can't go and visit family abroad) I think I can take some haha

17. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

A fish rots from the head, as they say.

Phuketcanary likes this.
  18. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

upload_2021-7-11_13-18-2.png

Time to join this winning team guys

zogean_king likes this.
  19. zogean_king

I think to be more English you really should have used chaps rather than guys :)

20. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

If you don't like diving, shirt pulling , pretending to be injured time wasting, waving the hands and complaining to the ref for every single foul then Italy are not the side for you .

England have become more streetwise due to this in the Premier League but Italy pride themselves on pretending to be fouled and writhing around like they just got shot .

Cheating gets you trophies if Sterling dives and cons the ref into awarding us another penalty I won't be complaining