1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The future of European Football??

Discussion in 'Watford' started by yorkshirehornet, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Of course comes out just at a time when 3/4 of these clubs will miss out on CL football so now in a panic they won’t get the millions they want .

Been very greedy and selfish .

Arsenal and Spurs fans for example won’t want to be bottom of this league each week .

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  2. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

As far as I can see only 6 Premiership clubs together with 3 each from Spain and Italy have signed up for it - well 3 countries do not make up 'Europe'. So it is neither 'European' nor 'Super'. Hopefully any players who take part in this will be barred from representing their countries in World Cups in the future (not legal I know but there are no regulations dictating who national managers pick). They can go prostituting their skills for the TV fans in China for a while but when it all goes pear shaped they can be re admitted to the football league on the level of Hemel Hempstead Town (if at all).

3. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Can they hold firm... i see the new ESL are already threatening legal proceedings against EUFA

4. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

TBH I think it's all posturing from the football authorities anyway and they will cave in... the clubs/Super League owners will throw a little money at the football associations ,and they'll come back with how they got a fantastic deal for the rest of the clubs!

We already know these clubs have all the power and the English clubs hate the fact that they don't get a bigger slice of the pie from the PL TV money... but the leagues can't afford to lose them

5. Luther

Luther Well-Known Member

So far 12 clubs from 3 countries have signed up for the project. There are 44 sovereign states or nations in Europe by the conventional definition, but Europe is shared by 50 countries if countries such as Turkey, Cyprus and the Faroe Islands are included. The ESL will truly be an European league (similar in nature to the world series in baseball in which only American clubs are allowed to play)!

6. colognehornet

At the moment it's only 12 Luther, but the ESL have said they expect 3 more to join - who could they be ? Outside of the 5 big leagues in Europe there are a number of big names in football who may feel they are too big for the countries they are situated in - Ajax and Benfica spring to mind, both of which are hampered by their geographical location. In the case of the Netherlands, plans are underway for the creation of a Beneliga - ie. a fusion of the top clubs in the Netherlands and Belgium. The belgian clubs have voted positively for this and the Dutch vote is still pending. A good idea for both because they need a stronger league in order to convince good players to stay after their 18th birthday. If this doesn't happen (and EUFA are hostile to the idea) then the bigger clubs in smaller leagues may start looking for other options. The ESL may sound like the final nail in the coffin but the present Champions League structure is not much better. By the time you get down to the quarter final stage you more or less know who will be left - a small financial elite representing only about 3 countries - with Bayern as the only ray of light.

7. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well cologne, I have read that Rangers and Celtic think they are big enough to join in. The UK government seems to hold a powerful card if it wants to use it. To come in and play a game all non-UK citizens would require a work permit. At the speed the Home Office moves the whole fixture list could be thrown into chaos.

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

9. Luther

Luther Well-Known Member

I did write "so far", cologne. A small number of clubs from a few other European countries may join the project, but I do not think that this league can be described as 'European' (as you yourself wrote in an earlier post). U.E.F.A. has 55 members. Porto is one club who rejected an invitation to join the European Super League.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  10. colognehornet

I'm relieved to hear about FC Porto Luther. The question is whether clubs (do they really still qualify as that ?) should be allowed to use the name of a town when they no longer have anything to do with their locality. The use of the name Manchester has long been a joke for City. There is a certain irony in the fact that the Premier League is now up in arms whereas the ESL is only really a concluding step from a process which they started. The whole footballing mentality is at fault in England - which has allowed billionaires to use football clubs as their playthings without any real protest. It's not the 51% ruling alone which protects German clubs from these vultures but rather also the fear of how fans would react. When I think back a couple of years to the reaction from the media when English clubs contested all 4 places in European finals - the jingoism and the back slapping. Very few people then stopped to think that this was only a logical result of having raped Europe of it's footballing talent (both playing and managerial) for many years with Arab, Russian or American money and had nothing to do with England.

oldfrenchhorn likes this.

11. colognehornet

I can see how Celtic would think they are big enough Frenchie...but the Huns ? <laugh>

12. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Please let them be Celtic and Rangers...

13. Markthehorn

PSG to be given Champions league with other 3 kicked out ?

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Leeds players in protest t-shirts before Liverpool game at Elland Road.

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I feel sorry for Jurgen Klopp who I think is a decent and honorable man. He is clearly in a very uncomfortable place tonight, trying to stave off questions about things that he seemingly knew little about.

17. Markthehorn

And he won’t want to speak against his employees .

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Oliver Dowden
    @OliverDowden
    We will do whatever it takes to protect our national game. These clubs have decided to put money before fans - so today I have been left with no choice but to formally trigger the launch of our fan-led review of football.

What the hell does this mean? It is a struggle to find a fan anywhere that says they are in favour of the proposals.

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

"Citing Covid, it warns that the accumulated losses of top-level clubs exceed €5bn (£4.3bn). “The value of live media rights is stagnating or declining as some of our competitions fail to meet the needs of fans and new generations seek entertainment in ways which didn’t exist 10 years ago".

This is what I suspected. The clubs are living beyond their means.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ed-super-league-document-justifying-breakaway

20. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

The players could kill this off at stroke. Simply say that if they are forced into this, they will run down their contracts, and leave for a club that allows them to play international and competitive football. If enough of them in a club do this, the clubs owners will see their assets written down to junk - like their debt. Simples.
    However, would enough players do it ? I'm sure they could afford it!

andytoprankin likes this.