1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The General Chat Thread.

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by AKCJ, Jan 8, 2012.

1. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

Steady on, John. We're not done yet! There's no doubt our progress has been hindered by the loss of key players, in particular Harvey Barnes. We don't have the depth of quality in some positions to cover the loss of a player who really had started to become a match winner for us. To Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea that would not be a problem. For us it certainly is, The injury to JJ was also a big problem. Ricardo wasn't match fit and then Castagne was also out for a spell. This probably shows that we are somewhat punching above our weight in terms of being in the top 4. When we had a fully fit squad we looked impressive. But a couple of injuries to key players hurts us. West Ham have been somewhat fortunate in that Antonio has come back at just the right time to start banging goals in against 'easier' opponents, whereas we are carrying unfit players into 4 very difficult remaining matches. However, we are where we are, and we have 4 games left for this team to rally round and show some pride.

We'll be playing against more open sides, so we shouldn't be trying to pick our way through massed defences. If we are serious about wanting to come out of this season with any credibility intact, the mentality will have to change. The defence will really need to tighten up. With or without Johnny Evans there can be no excuses for getting carved apart so easily. We will have to get the ball forwards at every opportunity to pin the opposition back, and the midfield will have to work like they've never worked before to keep it that way. The forwards will have to defend from the front and close down. But everywhere on the pitch we will have to show bravery and determination and still keep the belief even if things start to go against us. The proximity of games will mean we will have to use more of the squad, but we have capable replacements. In the league Liverpool could easily pick up another 10 points and West Ham could pick up 12, which is going to make things tricky for us. If we can pick up 5 points from our remaining 3 games and show some fight, then I'll be okay with that. If we go out with a whimper, that would be unforgiveable because, as a minimum, every player should be capable of giving their all.

2. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

FA Cup mate - always been the Holy Grail for us in my lifetime ... 4 finals since the war and lost the lot. Was at our 2 losing semis against Liverpool in the 70s and Spurs in the 80s and they actually hurt more than losing to Chelsea in this final would ... but we have another chance to make history ... something we have been good at under King Power ownership ... whilst Chelsea will start favourites we are capable of beating anyone if we bring our A game ... here's hoping <cheers>

BucksFox, Lcfcfox1 and Big Ern like this.
  3. BucksFox

Agree that we can beat anyone on the day if we bring our A game, but to do that we also need our A team, which unfortunately we don't have available at the moment. We would need to pull a huge rabbit out of the hat to beat what is now a strong and relentless Chelsea team. But it's a one-off game and anything could happen, however unlikely it might seem. I continue to be optimistic, but not hopeful. Or maybe the other way round.

Lcfcfox1 and FosseFilberto like this.
  4. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Think we need to be playing the 3 Belgian lads together... Praet and Castagne play particularly well together down the right. Would also consider moving Wilf to centre back in a 3 with Cags and Little Wes, if Jonny Evans is ****ed ... Mendy can pair up with Tielemans in the defensive mid piece which worked really well in the early season games.

Barnes and Justin are big losses in terms of raw pace and energy, never mind footballing ability ... but the front pairing can obviously score goals.

Perez brings more to the table than Maddison at this point ... and Ricky is so out of form it's painful to watch at times.

5. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

West Ham losing gives us another lifeline, it’s the hope that kills you as the saying goes! Goes to show the missed opportunities in the last two games.
    I still think it’ll take a major turnaround from us and a surprising number of points dropped by Liverpool particularly but still West Ham (either or or a bit of both) to hold on to forth but we will see.
    The defence certainly needs to tighten up as if Wilson, ASM and Willock etc could tear us apart so easy we will be up against seriously better players in the next 4 games. Maybe it will encourage us to play a deeper back line as this was our downfall against Newcastle and could have cost us vs Palace as the analysis on MOTD showed where we had our line well into the Newcastle half! That along with cutting out the stupid individual mistakes as well. I’d really like to see Soyuncu and Fofana put some performances is as a two of Rodgers gives them the opportunity as that would ideally be the future and allow us to not have the back 3.

6. Lcfcfox1

Lcfcfox1 Active Member

Booooooooooom, brilliant result!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. BucksFox

I don't belieeeeeeeeve it!

8. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

9. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

Well that was....unexpected. Excellent result, I suppose how fate works if we had picked up the results we should have recently it may have meant things turned out differently tonight so we can’t dwell on what has happened. Hopefully that gives some confidence and momentum to scrap out a couple more results hopefully, one in the cup and one in the league. Doesn’t need to be pretty, just results.
    Spurs have mathematically put to bed tonight, Liverpool and West Ham to go. Come on Man U on Thursday!!!

10. AstroFox

AstroFox Well-Known Member

Never boring being a Foxes fan!

11. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

Cracking result that. Hopefully restores some confidence for Saturday, the team, I've not got any <laugh>

Congratulations to Man City. Look forward to them celebrating Soyuncu day each year <cheers>

12. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

Ive just looked at the tables and fixtures - it’s very tight still you know!

13. nzfoxfan

nzfoxfan Well-Known Member

Great result. as was previously mentioned we play better against more open sides than those who sit back. Interesting that Albrighton took the corner for Cags goal and Maddison was only ten metres away. Seems he has accepted he isnt the best option for every dead ball situation. arguing against myself did swear at Albrighton for not beating the first man on the previous two. Roll on the cup final.

14. BucksFox

The corner taking scenario was all part of our master plan. Put the first 2 or 3 straight on the head of the first defender and lure them all to the near post and then surprise them (and us fans) by hitting one to the back stick. Genius! <laugh>

Luke Thomas has to start on Saturday. He's matured so quickly. I have to admit that the introduction of Choudhury mystified and worried me. He doesn't offer anything. First touch was to put a simple 3 yard pass into touch. I'd expected either Praet or Mendy to come on and tighten it up. Well, perhaps only Mendy. Praet has obviously been caught pi**ing in Brendan's beer.

15. Foxy in Foyle

Certainly is. Desperately need Man U to beat Liverpool tomorrow.

16. HarboroughFox

HarboroughFox Well-Known Member

Spurs still have things to play for, as if both ourselves and Chelsea finish in the top 5 (which is looking very likely) then 6th place will become an extra Europa League spot due to us both being in the Cup Final.

Hopefully though, West Ham, Liverpool and Everton all drop points in their next game...as these are the only teams who can now catch us.

I fear we have seen the last of Dennis Praet in a Leicester shirt. He has been overlooked recently in favour of both Mendy and Hamza. I think it would be criminal to let him go.

17. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Think i would prefer to see Praet rather than Perez in the number 10 position atm, might bring more energy to the midfield, as we are looking leggy.

18. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Great result for us tonight ... thank you Goonz

Lcfcfox1 likes this.
  19. HarboroughFox

HarboroughFox Well-Known Member

Anybody had an email saying they have got tickets for the Tottenham game yet?

20. Foxy in Foyle

FA Cup supporters pack arrived today. Feels real now I've got a rosette :biggrin: Nervous and excited in equal measure.

Really need man u to beat Liverpool tonight. Fans are protesting again though, really don't need this called off.