1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Golfing Thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by crumble bungle, May 26, 2016.

1. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

I'm surprised more clubs don't do it. I know that most clubs have recipricol rights with some others but i honestly think more people would become members if they had full access to 3 or 4 clubs

2. Zig81

Zig81 Well-Known Member

It’s been spoken about a few times but nothing has ever come of it, it would be good for both clubs I reckon.

Sunderpitt likes this.
  3. Zig81

Zig81 Well-Known Member

Twat! I would love to go back to Oz, spent a couple of years in Wollongong.

4. Ozzymac

Over here in South Australia there's the veterans golf club (need to be 55 so i've got 2 more years to wait) - $10 per year for membership and they play different courses each week. Every round the green fees are $25 regardless of where they play, including the $2-300 per round courses. They've got over 400 members

5. Ozzymac

You wouldn't want to be in Wollongong right now, that's one of our covid hotspots.

Not sure about membership fees in the UK but check out my local course, Willunga Golf Course, just over $1000 per year or about 600 pound

6. Zig81

Zig81 Well-Known Member

Can’t be no worse than here on Sunderland! I play at South Shields and my membership is just shy of £700, not cheap but not too bad, get my monies worth.

I’ll have a look at the course you play, I keep threatening to go back and visit Wollongong but I just never seem to get around to it, my old man lives in Manhattan, one of my brothers lives in New Jersey and another in Jo’burg so I spend my holidays nipping between those.

Sunderpitt likes this.
  7. Ozzymac

I've got 2 kids in Ohio but always forget to take my clubs

8. Zig81

Zig81 Well-Known Member

It’s amazing how much you miss playing when it gets taken away from you, I really can’t see why the ****wits can’t keep courses open here and play in two balls, if Scotland can mange that I’m sure we can.

9. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

These two clubs share boundary wall with gaps for golfers to retrieve errant balls. They could have one clubhouse, not two and if greenstaff and equipment would not be double. My uncle reckons it is the 'Committees ' and ego's preventing it.

I believe my club and a few others do share out expensive bits of machinery.

We had the English Golf Club championship at our place a few years back, other greenstaff came and helped prepare the course.

10. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

Mrs EJK picked up her new iron yesterday....
    And there I was, just about to give it another go. I was going to buy some clubs and stuff then the bloody government put us into lockdown. It’s as if they just don’t want me to play the game.

Ozzymac and Sunderpitt like this.

11. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Danny Foctor, Woody, Ozzymac and 3 others like this.
  12. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

I miss my golf, been playing the golf club on xbox, not the latest one but the one before. I found a course called Fcuk you that's been designed by another player, it's quite funny, especially the first tee, need to play a flop shot off the tee.

13. Peterleeyacker

Peterleeyacker Well-Known Member

I haven't really missed it. I normally play 5 times a week in the summer and twice a week in the winter but with the weather being that **** it hasn't bothered me.

14. Sunderpitt

Yeah we have had the usual tight bastards saying they do not want to pay full fees cos of Covid19... more often than not during winter courses are closed anyhow, it would be crap playing anyhow, winter tees/greens no play from fairways etc.

Whittylad likes this.
  15. Peterleeyacker

I paid mine in full in December. (£700) very unlikely we'll receive any discount or rebate

Whittylad and Sunderpitt like this.
  16. Sunderpitt

I figured despite furlough payments from the govt, greenstaff bar/kitchen staff still need paid..plus other fixed costs, for the clubhouse and machinery.

We like lots of clubs had lots of joiners last year...

Still have some big expenses, courtyard (cobbles), Bridge work and a couple of greens, dug out and redone.

Whittylad likes this.
  17. Peterleeyacker

Our club (Castle Eden) is/was in a pretty healthy position financially. Our fees were due to be paid last month so I don't know how that's gone regarding late payments. What has saved a lot of clubs is furlough as a lot of places are just working with a skeleton staff

Sunderpitt and Whittylad like this.
  18. Whittylad

Whittylad Well-Known Member

It’s the same at a lot of golf clubs. A minority wanting compensation for lost golf. Golf clubs still have a lot of outgoing costs and other than membership fees nothing coming in by the way of societies visitors guests or bar takings. Still a lot of work being carried out on tees greens and around the club that cost money.

19. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Courses in the UK will struggle badly after this is all finished (if it ever is) The margins running a course are wafer thin, so any variations to its income stream is a blow. With no Green Fee (for casual golfers) , No food and beverage takings will cripple a good few courses. I can see some going out of business which will be really sad as some of these courses are seen as their only social outlet for so many people

20. Sunderpitt

For many people, particularly the elderly, who live on their own, the club is very much their life. They meet friends play golf support one another, have meals etc.

You tend to find that if their partner dies they are found to be down at the club most days!

Ozzymac likes this.