1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread The GP Down Under

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Apr 7, 2022.

?

Who will finish first?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2022.
  1. Charles Leclerc

30.0%
  2. Carlos Sainz

30.0%
  3. Max Verstappen

30.0%
  4. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lewis Hamilton

10.0%
  6. George Russell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Fernando Alonso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Talking of Vettel, has the clown returned. I know it was his first weeked this year but I have the distinct impression he has again struggled with controlling the car, a problem he has had in the past. Last year he seemed to settle well into his new team. But as in the changes that came in his last year at Redbull he doesn't do changes that well.
    Stroll, last year a number of people were saying he has got some talent, i.e. a half decent driver who was also very good in the wet. This year people are saying he is rubbish. The fan base is quite fickle. Vettel's contract expires this year, could be his last at this rate.

I am pleased for Perez, I can see RBR wanting to extend his contract. I am open about disliking RBR because of Horner and Marco and to some extent Verstappen (although I admire his talent when he controls it) but Perez I like.

Toto seems to think Lewis will stay in the sport beyond his current contract. Time will tell.

ched999uk likes this.
  2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Vettel has had so little time to prepare and coming off covid. He's bound to be off it a bit. Just gotta see how he goes, but the car is an absolute bucket it seems.

I share your sentiments re RBR, but Max is a supreme talent! The guy is super fast and a proper racer. I have absolutely no Ill will towards him at all in the whole RBR setup. If anything I feel for him a bit. The guy has been programmed for this from a very early age.

Hamilton... I think he'll stay as long as he feels he still has something to give. And he clearly still does. Saying that... He has expressed in the past that h has time to do absolutely anything he wants to, so who knows.

3. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I recognise that Verstappen has talent and respect that he is a charger/racer that adds to the attraction of the sport and I enjoy watching him race. It is just when he goes OTT. All last year he played up during the safety car starts getting alongside, Mr Massi did not clamp down on it, glad they have reiterated the rules this season. Very keen to see Ferrari take this season, the sport would benefit as well as the motivation it brings to the Ferrari team.

DHCanary and ched999uk like this.
  4. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

He's too aggressive. I can only live in hope that in order to beat LeClerc he will have to realise that you also have to think and have a bit of nous and craft rather than just bullying your way round the track. He's a great natural talent, hopefully he will mature.

DHCanary, ched999uk and Justjazz like this.
  5. moreinjuredthanowen

I personally think we saw sunday that actually following closely and knowing and thinking exactly where the jump will happen and heating your tyres and brakes is far more effective than parking a cold car off the racing line while pretending to be aggressive.

le clerc when wide himself on cold tyres and verstappen just didn't have the car to so anything about it. If he'd parked himself off the racing line he probabale would only get more pressure from behind and le clerc would not have been able to go wide.

a safety car restart is a bit of drama but in the end its not designed to actually make passing happen is it?

Its a mechanism to restart a race after a safety incident. thats why masi lost his job.