1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Hornets' Nest II

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Whoever came up with this idea needs to think before doing things like this as he has constituency, Ministerial and Parliamentary responsibilities. What next - a petition for the Minister for Health to work as a nurse for a month, the Defence Minister to serve in Afghanistan (although that last one does have a certain appeal to it) etc?

2. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

BB which Aberdeenshire have you found, it's certainly not sunny here in the city.... think I may be seeing my first three points after dong as couple over the limit up Anderson drive this morning, damn those collection boxes I really hate the police for that part of their approach, we have real crime they need to address not taking easy money from the vast majority who slip over the ridiculously low speed limits....

3. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It might not be such a bad idea to get the minister of sport to open the batting in our next test match though - he couldn't do any worse.

4. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Well, it's still sunny here on the northern coast and has been all day. :emoticon-0157-sun:

Don't know how anyone can speed up that road - my son lives off Langstracht and to get to his place is like driving through a nightmare of roundabouts, traffic lights and never-ending traffic jams....

5. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I think this should be a MUST for all MPs..... they should all do a day a month work in the setting related to their portfolio... perhaps an independent committee not political would allocate <applause>

6. Bolton's Boots

They also actually have more holidays than teachers - and ergo the rest of the working population - so why shouldn't this be part of their remit?

7. yorkshirehornet

This gets better by the moment.......

8. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Practising for Burns Night...alternate sips of Glengoyne, Ben Riach and Dalwhinnie. I do like a contrast, so I may have to have a sip of Lagavulin later.

As for Mr Gove, is there a school which would employ him?

9. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

10. Bolton's Boots

With a mouthful of haggis between each? ;)

As for Mr Gove - as he doesn't hold any relevant qualifications, it would have to be one of his Free Schools where non-qualified teachers are permissible.

A quick search of the curricula at those establishments reveal this to be highly unlikely too - none of them cover his strengths - Duplicity, Obfuscation or Perfidy....

11. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

Dotheboys Hall then?

12. Bolton's Boots

He could well be successful as an offsider to Wackford Squeers - but probably has more in common with Ralph Nickleby...

13. canary-dave

Good morning all from a dry and relatively mild Weston-super-Mare (9C)

Have a good day! <ok>

14. yorkshirehornet

Oh dear.... not fit to hold office then?

15. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

Sæl öll. Cappuccino, coffee, tea donuts and fruit are on the bar.

Frothy cappuccinos for al, HH, and W_Y
    Coffee and caramel frapachino for IB
    Coffees for COYH, Frenchie, Kev rob theo and vic-rijrode and kiwiqpr
    Strong coffee for Sandy
    Milky coffee for Yorkie
    Espresso for SuffolkHorn
    Strong black coffees for Bragi Norway and zen
    Black coffee half hot half cold and no sugar for Charlie
    A peppermint latte for DanH
    Tea for BHD Cornish Mark jsybarry Lloydinio NZ and BCFCRed
    Tea with skimmed milk and no sugar for GG and Leon
    Hot chocolate with marshmallows for BBW
    Caramel latte for Hornette Scullion Canary Dave Fossefilberto and Maestro
    Una paloma for Mexican Hornet

I know government ministers never have experience of the world outside politics but the best skill for them is managing, as that is what they do. You may not agree with the thought behind what they do but if the politician can organise well and make the service given efficient that is good. I think the big problem is one government tries to change everything of the one before and all the changes cause big expense and bad service.

From my location to me England has the Conservatives and Labour groups. When the Conservatives have government they are on their own as the other political groups and the television are against them and when the Labour group have power there is no opposition as they control the information. The worrying point is neither of these groups represent anyone except themselves, not the people of the nation.

16. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Excellent post ak. The real rulers of the country are not the MPs, but the civil servants. Yes Minister was thought to be a very accurate picture of the way that the same policy could continue, just dressed up in a different form.

Thanks for the coffee, will now take to the fresh air as it is dry and warm here. A lot of my bulbs are shooting up from the soil, but there is another six weeks yet before we can see the back of winter.

17. canary-dave

Thanks for the caramel latte Ak, your perception of English politics is thought-provoking and accurate, well done! <ok>

18. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Morning all from a dry and mild West West London - thanks for the coffee and your perspective on the state of politics in Britain AK.

Whilst on the first view it sounds attractive to send ministers to work in the areas they directly represent so they can experience "life at the coal-face", just what is expected as a result and where should a line be drawn? Whilst holding a huge dislike for Gove (and most of his fellow "professional" politicians), I cannot see what is to be gained - also should he also spend time as a Headmaster or the School Cook or the Janitor? For me the problem with politicians in this country is that they are career politicians that "belong" to a party and follow the party line even though what they propose is clear nonsense - which is what Gove in particular is guilty of. Very interesting programme on BBC2 last night on Immigration - I was expecting the usual BBC liberal leftie view, but was shocked to see them actually questioning what has been happening over the past 30 years or so. Fascinating to see Jack Straw opening admit they completely f**ked up and had no clue how many East Europeans were coming in, whilst that tool Blunket would not admit to the same at all. This is a classic example of politicians refusing to see the obvious because of fear of being declared as racists.

19. Bolton's Boots

And oh the sweet irony - the over-zealous promulgation of their interpretation of racism, intended purely to subjugate the populace to their way of thinking, came back to bite them on their bums. As with everything politicians meddle in, it's one extreme to another.

20. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

Whilst I am not a big fan of politicians I am in no doubt about the merits of democracy. If we don't speak up, don't vote, don't think, then we get the politicians we deserve. That said, it's a mistake to categorise them all as pc, racist, incompetent, self-serving or any other broad generalisation. There are some, for example, who work very hard in their own constituencies.