1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Hungarian GP Chat & Predictions Thread

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Big Ern, Jul 31, 2019.

?

Who will taste victory

Poll closed Aug 3, 2019.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

75.0%
  2. Valtieri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Max Verstappen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sebastian Vettel

12.5%
  5. Charles Le Clerc

12.5%
  6. Daniil Kvyat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Alexander Albon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Lance Strolololol

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Robert Kubica

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. A N Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Like Gionvinazzi he had a good race once and has been rated on that, rather than the rest of his results. Not sure if Albon or Kvyat would fare that much better tbh, but I do think they're looking better than Gasly atm. I don't think RBR have anyone in the young driver program ready to make the step to F1, so it's not really worth it this season, but if Danil & Alex continue racing the way they are and Gasly doesn;t imporve, it;s going to be hard for RBR not to make the change for 2020.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Do you know who I think would be a perfect match for Red Bull, Kimi. Wouldn't give a damn at being outshone by Max but would likely outshine Gasly. Comes with no baggage and no risk of upsetting Max.

Big Ern and TopClass like this.
  3. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Probably, but I can't see RBR putting someone who isn't from their youth set-up in either seat.

4. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Wrong!!!

please log in to view this image

5. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

I agree.

I see RBR signing a 2 year deal with a solid driver with the experience they need.

Hulkenberg/Perez kinda role I think.

6. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

It was actually.

Merc rolled the dice with strategy and challenged Red Bull to follow suit.

They didn't so we had a genuine race on.

Mercedes called it correctly and Lewis did the rest.

cosicave likes this.
  7. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Just watching the C4 Highlights and Lee McKenzie is interviewing Toto Wolff and in the background is someone looking at the camera wearing a Donald Trump mask :emoticon-0102-bigsm

8. SgtBhaji

Late watching the race today. But I'm not sure if I'm more amazed that Merc pulled a bit of strategic genius ot that RBR totally failed to cover it. They threw that one away.

9. SgtBhaji

Croft goes nuts if a mouse so much as farts in the infield.

The amazing stuff was the strat from Merc and Hamilton making it happen. Merc don't seem to make those kind of bold calls very often.

ched999uk and cosicave like this.
  10. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

From what I've heard of him, that Crofter bloke is preoccupied with himself, trying to invent irrelevant diversions he hopes his audience will find funny and then forcing a laugh in an effort to get others to laugh along with him, thereby justifying his own existence.

Crofter would get more laughs if he called himself ****er.

Other than that, I agree with Bhaji about Mercedes / Hamilton strategy being extraordinary on this occasion.

El_Bando and SgtBhaji like this.

11. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

There was a classic example during the race, where Crofty was making an obviously premeditated joke about Grosjean “crashing” Magnussen’s wedding, which Brundle completely ignored and quickly changed the subject, which was much more amusing than the attempted joke.

12. eddie_squidd

I’d not take anything away from a great strategic call and Ham’s skill in making it work, but they didn’t have much to lose, the worst that could have happened would have been finishing second which is where they were anyway. So not a big gamble but intelligent thinking anyway, which got a deserved result, as well as giving us a grandstand finish.

ched999uk, Justjazz and Big Ern like this.
  13. eddie_squidd

Hilarious bit of radio from Carlos Sainz after the race, have been laughing my head off. Can only find it on Facebook so this link might not work for everyone.

TopClass, Mr.B and Big Ern like this.
  14. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Ferrari currently have the top speed so Spa and Monza may not be so kind to Red Bull, other than driver error. Daniel needs to come back stronger next race.

15. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Something vaguely interesting from this weekend, the Red Bulls were quicker than Mercedes in the straights in quali, but come the race they couldn't live with the Merc grunt.

16. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

We both know there are differences, most importantly fuel load. I enjoyed it yesterday. I was in a sports bar yesterday and the reaction to the Lewis overtake was vocal. There was some view that Max should have pitted the lap following Lewis. Neither would have sailed off into the distance and would have been interesting to see who might have come out on top then. I am sure Redbull are looking at the data to determine what might have happened to confirm whether there was another, better, option for them. Red bull could not stop first though, Merc would not have stopped.

Feel sorry for Bottas, I think he is out. Being faster in quali needs to have the backing of aggression and racecraft.

17. TopClass

Brilliant- how can you not like Sainz and Norris? They’ve both done really well this year.

I think Sainz is finding his home at McLaren- he’s certainly showing that his good form when battling Verstappen at Toro Rosso was no flash in the pan.

It would be great to see him in a car that can fight at the front and hopefully that might be McLaren down the line.

Norris looks a real raw talent- reminds me a little of Jenson Button. Smooth style and very calm.

Keep your eye on George Russell too- he will be something when he’s given a car to work with.

18. eddie_squidd

McLaren look fun for the first time in their history. Can you imagine this in Ron’s day?

ched999uk and TopClass like this.
  19. TopClass

Sadly not, no. I admire many things about Ron and one could argue his move to Honda in 2014 was spot on (barring maybe the timing).

His attention to detail and the way he protected the McLaren brand was admirable. However that sometimes seemed to overflow into overburdening the team and strangling creativity.

He’s a fabulous businessman, but I think the modern approach has to be slightly different to allow this generation to flourish and that lack of adaptability probably hindered him and the team.

I like the personnel McLaren have attracted so far- they seem like a team on the up.

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  20. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

So much more relaxed team. It's almost like the pressure of Alonso was a hinderence to them and now they are released of that they can go out and enjoy their racing again.

For all those who keep saying Alonso should come back, really? I think Raikkonen should make way too, he is doing a good job with the Sauber but in reality he is treading water on a large pay packet, and taking a drive away from a young driver.

I know Hamilton/Vettel aren't spring chickens but they are still at the front of the field and earning their corn, when ex-WDC's find themselves scrapping for points, are their wages really worth it to the teams, when there are younger and hungrier drivers our there?

Justjazz likes this.