1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The JCB Triumph Hurdle 2021

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jan 17, 2021.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The Triumph Hurdle is traditionally the opening race of the Friday at the festival and is run on the New Course over a distance of about 2 miles and 1 furlong (2 miles and 179 yards). During its running there are eight hurdles to be jumped. The race is for juvenile hurdlers only i.e. 4 year-olds at the time of the race and therefore there have been no multiple winners.

The event was established in 1939, and it was originally held at Hurst Park in Surrey. During the early part of its history it was regularly contested by horses trained in France – six of the first seven winners were French-based. The flat racing jockey Lester Piggott achieved one of his twenty hurdle victories in this race in 1954.
    Hurst Park closed in 1962 and the Triumph Hurdle was not run in 1963 or 1964. The race was transferred to Cheltenham in 1965, and for a period thereafter it was sponsored by the Daily Express. It was initially held during the venue's April meeting, but it became part of the Festival in 1968. The Elite Racing Club took over the sponsorship in 1997, and JCB became the sponsor in 2002.
    Winners of the Triumph Hurdle often go on to compete in subsequent editions of the Champion Hurdle. Four horses have achieved victory in both events – Clair Soleil, Persian War, Kribensis and Katchit.

The most wins as a jockey belong to Barry Geraghty (5) whilst the most successful trainer is Nicky Henderson with 7 winners.

The most recognised trials for the race are the Spring Juvenile Hurdle (run at Leopardstown in early February as part of the Dublin Racing Festival) and the Adonis Hurdle at Kempton Park (run towards the end of February). The last winners to go on to Triumph Hurdle glory were Our Conor (Spring Juvenile 2013) and Zarkandar (Adonis 2011) so both races are probably due to throw up the winner of the Triumph again.

The 2021 renewal looks, at this stage, to be firmly in Irish hands with Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliot having 5 of the first 7 in the betting. Favourite at around the 5/2 mark is Zanahiyr. This son of Nathaniel was bred by the Aga Khan and raced in his colours on the flat for Mick Halford, culminating in him winning a 12F maiden at Fairyhouse. He was then purchased by the Morans and sent to Gordon Elliot and has rattled off 3 consecutive hurdle victories, including the Grade 2 Knight Frank Juvenile at Leopardstown over Christmas. Another Christmas winner, this time for Ellmarie Holden, French Aseel was quickly snapped up by Joe Donnelly and sent to Willie Mullins and he is now around the 6/1 mark for the Triumph. Although his victory at Leopardstown was visually impressive that is a very short price after just 1 run over hurdles. Third best in most lists at around 8/1 is David Pipe's Adagio who won the Grade 1 Finale at Chepstow from Nassalam, who is also prominent in the Triumph betting at around 14/1. These are the two shortest UK horses in the market but Nicky Henderson's Heross Du Seuil should not be overlooked, given his trainers fine record in the race, and he has possibilities at a best-priced 25/1.

The McNeil family have had both Walkon and Grumeti placed in the Triumph and they have another leading contender this year in Youmdor (best price 18/1) who cruised to the lead at Fairyhouse yesterday before falling at the last hurdle and no doubt Willie Mullins will be getting him ready for a Triumph Hurdle bid. Gordon Elliot has plenty of other chances including the unbeaten pair of Quilixios (best-priced 12/1) and Duffle Coat (best-priced 14/1, he is 4/4 over hurdles, battle-hardened, is the only horse to beat Adagio and is my 33/1 ante post bet in the race).

There are already a lot of very, very talented 4 year-olds towards the head of the market and I would personally be very surprised if something came out of the woodwork at a very late stage here. So it is well worth watching the 2 big trial races in February whilst remembering it isn't always the winner of those races who goes on to Triumph glory - Farclas, for example, was second in the Spring Juvenile Hurdle before winning at Cheltenham in 2018, as was Tiger Roll in 2014.

Summary: I would think the Spring Juvenile Hurdle at Leopardstown on February 7th (card here) will most likely throw up this year's Triumph Hurdle winner but it is important to watch the race with Cheltenham in mind i.e. which horse is doing its best work in the closing stages, which horse could come up the hill the best? Of course if something wins 20 lengths then it will go very short fav for the Triumph. The Adonis has been a bit of a disappointment since producing Zarkandar so hopefully it can throw up a competitive challenger, potentially Heross Du Seuil. Lots of water to flow under the bridge before the big race and I find the market really fascinating this time around.

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Obviously Oddy :emoticon-0103-cool:

OddDog likes this.
  3. OddDog

Staff Member

Other views and opinions welcome of course as things develop over the coming weeks - especially any dark horses lurking out there.

4. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Oddy, Herross of Hendos in entered up at Ludlow this week, but to me he was a very fortunate winner on UK debut, having been going second best behind Honneur D'Anjoc when that fell at the last hurdle. That horse is going to be interesting to see where he runs next, I am hoping they can get him out in the next few weeks for a prep run for the Fred Winter.

My views on the Triumph are probably boring with Zanahiyr being the one I like. That win looks a brilliant bit of form and I think he will be the one to beat at the DRF and then the festival itself. The irish look to be holding the cards, whilst I think Nassalem will still prove the best of the UK horses if he gets a clear run to the festival (Moore yard perhaps ran him too soon at Chepstow after not declaring originally).

OddDog likes this.
  5. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

Good write up, Oddy. <ok>
    Ryan Price saddled the hot favourite, Catapult , for Hurst Park’ s last running of the Triumph in ‘62. The public showered money on it but then rained abuse on Price when his other runner, French import, Beaver, made it look like a hack and cantered in.
    Beaver also won the French equivalent later that year.

Bustino74, Ste D and OddDog like this.
  6. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

I felt Adagio's win was very impressive but that Jamie Moore used his mount too much and that Nassalam could turn the tables if ridden differently.

Good write up. Persian War went for the Champion or the Triumph in '67 and trainer Brian Swift got his way. It was the last race his trainer saddled him for as after a further disagreement he left Swift's stable for good after Swift demanded the owner removed all his horses. A great shame for Swift but must admit I think PW would have won that year's Champion.

Tamerlo and OddDog like this.
  7. OddDog

Staff Member

The bet365 Juvenile Hurdle at Ascot on January 23rd saw the introduction of another highly promising McNeil-owned juvenile in the shape of Tritonic. Trained by Alan King, this son of Sea The Moon achieved a rating of 99 on the flat and his best run was probably his 2nd place in the Glasgow Stakes at Hamilton. Tritonic was sent off 5/4 Fav for his hurdling debut at Ascot and duly won, but not before being given a right old fright by Gary Moore's Casa Loupi who attempted to make all, jumped very fluently and was just nabbed in the last 75 yards - the front two 19 lengths clear of Vulcan in 3rd place. Tritonic has been introduced in the Triumph betting at around 14/1 and you can get 33/1 about Casa Loupi.

Ron likes this.