1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The latest Chairman chat...

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Sep 14, 2021.

1. brb

brb CR250

2. brb

brb CR250

please log in to view this image

alwaysright likes this.
  3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Mr. Scally doesn't like lies -- but, can he take ( all of ) the truth ?

I too do not like lies - but ( perhaps like most of you ), I don't find the truth comfortable !..... Everyone is entitled to their opinion - HOWEVER - in terms of GFC, opinion should primarily, be confined to what happens on the pitch........Unfortunately ( in my opinion ), there has been too much off-pitch activity, that diverts (my) attention away from the grass !......... In my opinion, the adverse effect of such 'off-piste' activity, has been accumulating - and may have caused a few , less discerning fans, to express their frustrations in uncharitable fashion ( exacerbated by deprivation of matchday experience during the pandemic. )

So - I shall stick to the facts.

1. Mr. Scally, ( in my opinion ), has some business skills.
    2. Mr. Scally persuaded creditors to take a very small amount of money owed to them, by GFC - otherwise GFC might now not be in existence.
    3. Mr. Scally paid £ 1 to 'buy' the Club..... I am unaware of any other of his own money that he has spent on the Club.
    4. Mr. Scally has supervised over great improvements to infrastructure at the stadium.
    5. Mr. Scally has presided during seasons of promotions ( and relegations )
    6. Mr. Scally has presided during a period when GFC have nurtured young talent, and have traded favourably, in the transfer market..... ( thus funding Numbers 4 & 5.)
    7. Mr. Scally has yet to provide evidence that he has spent any other of his own money !
    8. Mr. Scally did not receive the 27.5% pay increase ( he alleges that one dissenter quoted £46,000 ), in the Covid year..... My understanding of the published accounts, is that the 27.5% (( I think it did amount to £ 46,000 )) was actually for the year up to 5th April 2020 (( didn't we have Covid in December 2019 ?? )).
    9. Mr. Scally ( in the above 'chat' ) claims that during Covid year he took a 48%, 50% pay cut! ... Which is it ?... We shall see when(ever) he manages to get around to publishing the accounts.
    10. Mr. Scally is entitled to be paid for his services to the Club.
    11. Mr. Scally doesn't like some of the criticism levelled against him....( none of us do) He has every right to defend his personal 'honour' - and the honour of his family.. If people are going to criticise, it should be based on facts - facts relating to matters on the pitch, or facts relating to any (mal)administration. I do not condone any attack of a 'personal' nature.... Any defamation of character ( not based on the criteria I have stated ), is unfair.
    12. Mr. Scally ( whilst I accept being entitled to be paid ), has resided, for many years, in one of the World's most expensive countries... He said he was looking for investment in the Club ( has that materialised ??? ) He based himself in one place for the duration - why couldn't that place be in England ? Why was he restricted to returning to England to just 30 days a year ? (( I was watching Gills for 44- 46 league games every season! )) It is very easy to be cynical and suspect that Mr. Scally was maximising the 'tax-efficiency' of his Dubai residency !
    13(a). Mr. Scally doesn't like criticism - No, I'm not repeating myself (per se.) Whilst I have 'defended' Mr. Scally ( at point No. 11 ), he has to realise that he has great 'power' and 'authority' in his esteemed position - and - along with that comes great responsibility..... Mr. Scally may be entitled to receive praise - where it is due -- but -- he also needs to understand that responsibility will be subject to scrutiny. People are allowed to make reasonable and justifiable criticism. In terms of GFC, the only criticism I will make of the squad, is when I see that a player is not giving 100% commitment...... Under the current set up, I do not expect us to be EPL champions in my lifetime - but - I do expect the level of commitment as shown at Burton.
    13(b). Mr. Scally need to accept that not all of his decisions (( on - or off field )), will be right /and/or popular. People are entitled to their ( reasonably stated ) opinion.
    13(c). Mr. Scally doesn't like vitriol ( I can understand that. ) He states that any resentment based on 'personal' insult is disrespectful to him and the Club. . I agree. The publicity it attracts is damaging to GFC......... and yet -
    13(d) Mr. Scally has presided over the Club during several episodes in the High Court... When the Club has received public 'damage, humiliation, embarrassment, & shame ( alleged racism ) - largely ( in my opinion ) due to HR and PR disasters.. and yet, Mr. Scally accuses people of defamation.
    13 (e) Mr. Scally - You keep on saying that your door is 'open.' You invite telephone calls, emails, correspondence etc - but - I have tried, more than once, via each of the communication mediums - including a personally delivered letter. I have not received any reply. I know of others who have also tried to talk to you ...... each time the door is closed !
    14. Mr. Scally - you are not always right. The fans are not always wrong. It is your prerogative if you choose to take 'action' against personal defamation (( which is different to 'criticism' in running GFC. )) - but one criticism that fans had of you in recent months, is your lack of communication relating to on and off field issues - in such a way as expressed in the 'Chat.'... a little more 'engagement with fans would receive empathy and sympathy!
    15. Mr. Scally, your 'personal' hurt, expressed in the 'Chat' is understood. Your response is understandable. Your revelations of business matters is appreciated - thankyou --- just talk with the fans - not at us!
    UTG.

......... apologies to brb- I should have warned him he was going to need a bigger chair !

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  4. alwaysright

I 've just noticed this in Kentonline.... It's good to talk ( but not to listen ! )

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway...er-these-people-gillingham-chairman-p-253953/

I (extremely) rarely comment in KoL - but I do 'browse.' ( which is something you can't do in Gills club shop - because.... )
    I am not entirely surprised that KoL have denied readers the opportunity to place comments on the article... Whose decision is that ? What's happened to freedom of speech ?

In the 'article', Mr. Scally denies the + £ 46,000 ( during Covid year. ) ... My comments, above, agree with him !! - but - the accounts , up to 31 May 2020, do show that he took an increase, in consultancy fees of £46,000 in the previous year...... He claims that the money didn't go to him !!!! (( so - why was it included in the consultancy fee payment to him ? ))

He claims that he had to 'pay - off' several people when he permanently left Dubai - to people who had done some work with running the Club - and this expense would have been incurred even if he was in the UK...... and that some of the payment was for people who had done some work for him.. (( my congratulations to Mr. Scally for the way in which he worded this part of his reply. ))...

Forgive my 'ignorance' - but - shouldn't any expense for work relating to 'running the Club' be paid as a Club expense ( not from Mr. Scally's personal account ? )... And if he had 'personal' expenses in Dubai, isn't that for which the consultancy fee should have been used (( we all ''get paid'' - - but -- our money doesn't go to me, .. it goes to the Council Tax, Energy company, Supermarket, Gillingham Football Club etc - it's called 'Cost of living.' ))

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    brb and Lord Sondes Clock like this.
  5. alwaysright

What's the point ?

Should I apologise to Mr. Scally ? - As aforementioned, at the Morecambe Home game, I delivered a letter for Mr. Scally. It was given to a senior member of staff in the Match Control room...... I bemoaned - because I had received no reply - but - I got it wrong... Mr. Scally hasn't 'refused' to respond -- so -- Dear Mr. Scally, I apologise for thinking that you couldn't be bothered to reply !

Today, I was approached by a member of Gills staff - to inform me that my letter was still in the Matchday control room -unopened !............. anyway,

..... I've worked out the answers to my questions - and the way things are going, I might not need any answers for 2022/23.

brb likes this.
  6. brb

brb CR250

So they going to give your letter to Scally or not?

7. alwaysright

I'm not sure if I can be bothered anymore.

During the pandemic, I have watched a lot (more) sport on the television. I have greatly enjoyed the entertainment, as well as the quality and skill levels of the participants..........except - the awful football (in the main ), served up by The Gills.... I do not criticise their ability as a personal insult - but state it as a fact... and fact is, hoofball isn't pleasing on the eye...... unlike my televisual 'experience' - from the comfort of my own home, with family and friends - which hasn't required me to undertake much preparation, travel time and expense.

Other more important events have occurred in the last 18 months - which puts football into perspective in ones life.......For a very long time, I have been going to matches, more as a social occasion (( home, as well as away)), rather than 'sporting entertainment.'....... It is rare that I 'enjoy' the sporting entertainment on offer at Priestfield. ((....and, I couldn't watch MK Dons cure for insomnia every week! )) ........ I'm not sure if I can be bothered to keep on travelling 100 miles ( just for home matches.) ..... I am very sure that I can have a better social life without all that mileage and 'waste' of time... I am definitely sure that I dislike the 'politics' that exists at the Club..... Quite clearly, I am being treated as merely a casual 'customer.' (( sorry, did I really say ' treated?' ))........ In most areas of 'retail', loyal 'customers' are properly treated, and rewarded - otherwise there are plenty of other 'outlets' in which to spend your money.

I fear that I am quickly becoming like so many ex 'customers' of The Gills.... I fear that I am coming to my senses - to see the futility of my choice of sporting 'experience.' I fear that once my latest 2 year season ticket expires, I may be unsure if I can be bothered anymore.

brb likes this.
  8. brb

brb CR250

If you decide to call it a day with the Gills, I have the ideal new adventure for you!

Where you can go and watch the same 'quality' of footie and get all your food and beer probably chucked in for less than you pay to go to a Gills game. Anyway, banter aside, I stubbled across this on the Charlton Board the other week or so... https://www.not606.com/threads/groundhopping-a-tiddler’s-travels.351715/page-79

I thought it was really interesting what the guy was doing, he goes to random different non league grounds, gets pics of all the facilities, ground etc....tells you the price to get in, cost of food, cost of booze and does a little write up on it all.

For me, that's the sort of thing I'd love to show our Chairman, demonstrating people can still get their fix elsewhere, and for a fraction of the cost. While on the topic, I've been keeping an eye recently on National League attendances, it really is an eye opener, yesterday, clubs like Wrexham drawing in over 8,000 fans every home game. Clubs like Grimsby and Notts County yesterday getting over 5k attendances, while we only manage just, and I mean just over a measly 4,000.

Looking even a few weeks further back, clubs such as Chesterfield, Grimsby, Notts County and Southend, all had attendances over 5k. Southend actually drew in over 6k and Notts County just shy of it. What are they doing at NL level that we aren't at L1 level, to bring the crowds in, this is TWO leagues below us?

alwaysright likes this.
  9. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

There is no way I would travel 100 miles every home game to watch Gills. Only reason I go it's only 5 minutes away by car. I would definitely pick and choose games but even then can I be bothered to load ticket on computer rather than just turn up

10. brb

brb CR250

If our Chairman thinks he has problems, then give a thought for the Southend Chairman Ron Martin, he tried to go and foolishly enter the stand containing his supporters, you can see from the following clip the reception he received, after what they rightly see as the failings of their club...

Contains foul language:

11. alwaysright

Reminds of the time at Swindon - when their mascot entered the stand with the Gills fans ( after they had been to the local pub ) - The mascot was 'ejected' by the Police - before it needed repair surgery.

brb likes this.