1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 10th January)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 10, 2020.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg Good Morning. It's Friday 10th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road.

Have Bamfords extra responsibilities hampered his game?

Patrick Bamford has been involved in 12 league goals this season (10 goals, two of which were from the penalty spot and two assists), his best tally in a season since 2014/15 (17 goals and two assists.)

His work rate is second to none. Unlike most forwards, Bamford puts himself about the pitch, tracks back and makes tackles. Although I'm sure this benefits the teams stats, I can't help but think that his accuracy in front of goal has suffered as a result. When you have one thing to worry about, you can concentrate all your efforts on that task in hand, but if you are then given other responsibilities, surely it makes it more difficult?

The 26yo is on target to net 19 goals this term, but will the amount of missed opportunities cost the Whites automatic promotion?

Bamford joined the Whites in the Summer of 2018 for 7m (rising to 10m based on appearances) from Middlesbrough. He has found the back of the net 19 times in 47 appearances.

Is there a better striker pound for pound in the Championship?

please log in to view this image

And Leeds second top scorer for the season is.....

Would you be surprised to learn that Leeds second top scorer this season has came from own goals (6).

Leeds have profited from more own goals this season than 13 combined Championship clubs, and twice as many as their nearest rivals Bristol City (3).

Over the season, Leeds have created more chances, and have had more shots at goal (ave 16.1 per game) than any other Championship side, so why aren't they scoring more goals?

Harrison has netted 5 times (and 6 assists) whilst Alioski has also contributed his fair share (4).

Untitled-5.jpg

Bielsa's Press Conference

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Bamford has shortcomings and a lot of pluses, a blind man can see both. However 7m for a striker is peanuts so he has been excellent value. The striker many of us are looking for more than likely doesn’t exist. We want someone who’ll track back, create chances, be a great header of the ball and a great two footed finisher. One of those won’t play in the championship regardless what money is offered so best we can hope for is another Bamford. Bielsa said so himself yesterday. Anyway what’s done is done. All history. It’s the next four months that are crucial starting with the wendies

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

Bamford has scored 10 in 25 so far this season but should have been credited with 2 of those own goals which would put him on 12 goals in 25 which is a fantastic return for a striker at this level, especially with his role of being the head of the spear in attack and the first defender when we lose the ball. I take my hat off to him.

time for Leeds to walk away from Che Adams now as their manager said again yesterday he is not going anywhere. Yes this may change if Saints get another striker but we cannot hang around waiting.

new keeper is a done deal and medical should happen Monday and we may even see him tomoz at the game. This lad is for the U23/18 squads as hes just 18 but a massive prospect.

too many names being mentioned to get exited about anyone, but it seems we also have a winger lined up and about to go over the line. An interesting one is the midfielder from Oxford who is doing great work down there and is a former Liverpool academy player who Klopp wanted to keep but knew he had to let him go because the kid deserved first team football. Klopp actually mentioned him yesterday as a great prospect.

lots of clubs now chasing the Aberdeen kid but gone quiet regarding Leeds and him. A Spanish winger who is out on loan in Turkey may be a thing too and it seems other clubs including lower Prem clubs chasing him?

Farsleyexile and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Lewie Coyle has agreed a new long term contract with Fleetwood and have paid Leeds in the region of £500k. Announcement to be formalised later. Leeds wanted cash for him and it seemed Fleetwood were hoping for a freebie in the Summer but Leeds wanted to sell now and clubs like Sunderland and a few more were willing to buy him now, so Fleetwood had to find the money. Coyle has had 2.5 years at Fleetwood and is recognised as the clubs best player and another former academy player is also there Alex Cairns who is their keeper. Good luck Lewie :emoticon-0165-muscl

5. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good Morning to Matt and co from a hazy Bardsey
    It seems to me like the situation last year re Adams where we wasted all the 4 week to find we couldn't come to a suitable agreement over James
    Lets get Freeman in and Gayle looks like heading for WBA so we need another target
    Woodrow looks iffy as well
    l

ristac, bucks_is_leeds and ellandback like this.
  6. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

I like Bamford but if his headers/shots are off target and diverted into the net by an opposing player you can't really say it's a Bamford goal <laugh>

NostradEmus, Doc, Gessa and 1 other person like this.
  7. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Re. Adams, I'm sure I read somewhere this week that Leeds had told his club that they would completely drop their interest completely in a week's time, and move on to another target. Don't know how much of that week remains, but it seems like Leeds have put pressure on them & won't be messed around.

Irishshako, Doc and Eireleeds1 like this.
  8. Eireleeds1

I agree, stretching it a little bit. That was heading for the corner flag <laugh>

9. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Mike, hope you and Moe are well.

I sincerely believe that Leeds wanted to wait until the last minute in January, to add hype to the Daniel James marquee signing.

Leeds hierarchy obviously thought it was in the bag, but by waiting to the last minute and having the fans speculating, will it happen, will it not would have just added to the excitement when we would have finally have been unveiled.

10. Eireleeds1

That worked out well didn't it <whistle>

11. ellandback

Forum Moderator

By definition it would have meant that Bamfords two shots were actually off target, but diverted on goal by the opposition player.

A huge deflection would still be given to the striker as long as the effort was on target.

Personally I feel if the ball is on target but take a big deflection, it should be an own goal.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  12. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Yeah that Bielsa's hopeless in front of goal. I mean how many chances does he actually need? <laugh> <whistle>

Whitejock, Doc, southernwhite and 2 others like this.
  13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Oooops...

14. Norwayleedsforever

Norwayleedsforever Well-Known Member

FFS we did come to a deal about James, it was Jenkins that didn't want to do the deal because the fans started to get on his back. But hey why not just blame Leeds for it and make a great conspiracy theory.

Farsleyexile, OLOF, Whitejock and 5 others like this.
  15. lufcjames

lufcjames Active Member

Anyone know of any tickets about for tomorrow? Was home for Christmas and missed getting one on my membership.

What's the chances of getting one at the ground tomorrow?

16. Eireleeds1

Better chance of hens teeth I’d say. I’d suggest putting a feeler out on twitter if you’re on it if you’re on it or get someone who is. I’ve seen lads regularly get sorted

17. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

Also think scum had a hand in it not going through. As far as Leeds were concerned it was all done and dusted, he was sat in the Leeds office waiting for the paperwork to come through.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  18. Eireleeds1

All the more reason it should’ve been done early January or find another target. Hopefully the powers that be learned a valuable lesson

ellandback likes this.
  19. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

Trouble is it's not always down to the buying club when deals can be done.

FORZA LEEDS and Whitejock like this.
  20. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

There's a skill in hitting opponents:grin: