1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 14th May)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 14, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Friday 14th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Bielsa admits selection dilemma

During his pre match press conference, Leeds supremo Marcelo Bielsa admitted to having a selection headache ahead of tomorrows clash at Turf Moor. Captain Liam Cooper has returned from suspension but Pascal Struijk is literally improving game on game. The partnership he has built with Llorente is as solid as anyone's in the Premier League. Bielsa said:-

“I completely understand your question and you can understand I ask myself this same question. “The theoretical answer I gave can be linked to this question. It helps construct an opinion to what you’re asking.

Pascal has had very good performances and Cooper is our captain who has also had great performances but over a longer period of time.

Both things are valuable, this sudden appearance of Pascal and everything that Cooper has done of course establishes a big difference because to play well is accessible but to play well over a longer period of time is very difficult.”

Will Liam Cooper be a first team regular next season? Should he still be Captain next season, if not, who?

please log in to view this image

Peacock Farrell to start tomorrow?

The Clarets will also be without Phil Bardsley, Dale Stephens, Robbie Brady and Kevin Long for tomorrows clash with the Whites. Furthermore Dale Stephens and Nick Pope are major doubts.

Sean Dyche was quoted as saying:-

"Phil Bardsley has a hernia situation and that will need doing now" "Popey has had a couple of niggles with his shoulder and knee so we will wait and see on him. They are the same issues, we have just been keeping an eye on him. "Robbie Brady is not going to be right, Kevin Long is not going to be right. "Dale Stephens has a situation we are checking with his ankle."

If Pope is sidelined, Peacock Farrell will relish the chance not only to impress his Manager, but get one over on his former club! Chris Wood and Charlie Taylor are also both expected to face their former club tomorrow

Michael Bridges lauds Ayling's performances

Former Leeds icon Michael Bridges has labelled Luke Ayling as 'absolutely incredible'. The 42yo spent five years at Elland Road, though his career was cut short by a horrific knee injury he sustained in the Champions league at Besiktas, back in 2000. Over the next four seasons, Bridges would only make ten appearances for the Whites.

Bridges remains not just a fans favourite but an ambassador for Leeds Utd. During a recent interview with GegenPod, he expressed his admiration for the Leeds right back!

“35 matches this season, played every game,” “Ayling has come from the lower divisions and made a career, worked his way through, a bit like Jamie Vardy has done. “Bielsa has given the opportunity in the Championship, the work rate this kid puts in from the full-back position is incredible and he’s taken to the Premier League like you wouldn’t believe.

“Not many players can play the amount of games that he has – I know they haven’t been in Europe – but I just thought I’d credit him and I was struggling to find another right-back. “It was Cancelo but I didn’t want to have another Manchester City player in there.

“I’m an ambassador for Leeds United, I don’t know Ayling personally, but I just think he has been absolutely incredible.”

Is Ayling good enough defensively to help move Leeds o the next level? How would he have compared with the likes of Mills, Zico and Kelly?

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

First off I have to apologise to Siddas for saying this season the prize money per league position is £3.2m. Siddas was correct at £2m. Angus Kinnear has cleared it up by saying £2m but our ‘extra tv appearances’ bumped up the cash for Leeds this season. 24 times on tv with Man City on 25 and Man Utd on 26. I also read an article from David Conn a few weeks ago which also stated £3.2m this season, but I heard Kinnear say yesterday £2m so that’ll do for me

The other thing he clearly said was that Rodrigo De Paul will not be coming to Leeds...

3. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

Morning all, I would not have a dilemma at all, Cooper on the bench.
    My skipper next season would be Philips and I would tell him now, so that puts him in the picture that his future is with us before the vultures start circling.

4. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I don't know who Id put as Captain if Coops isn't next season, but I wouldn't give it to Philips, as good a player as he is in Bielsas system, I don't think Philips would need that extra pressure on his back. I rather he was just left to concentrate on his own game first. Not saying somewhere down the line that he won't be made Captain.<ok>

5. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all,

I think Cooper shoud and will come back into the side again tomorrow. Struijk has been excellent but was never meant to be a regular this season. He will know this but next season he might see it differently and rightly so. He has played himself into first/second chocie contention.

Cooper will be third/fourth chocie next season based on those around him. I would still have him as club captain as he has performed well in the role on and especially off the pitch and is clearly liked by the squad as he has been continually picked by them.

For that reason I think the posistion of vice Captain is far more important. It will need to be someone who is a regular starter. I know a lot are calling for Phillips but I think there is too much on him already and would just leave him alone to carry on doing what he is doing.

I always have a preference for CB's as captain but the only one I think might be suitable is Llorente but I do not know enough about hin to make a solid choice so I would be looking at Ayling carrying on or even Dallas.

SIDDAS, ristac, foolee and 3 others like this.
  6. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Dallas for me for Captain, but Coops is respected and he will have a role next season. As for Struijk, he has youth on his side and he knows himself if he keeps on improving, he'll make that position his own in the coming years.<ok>

SIDDAS, ristac, foolee and 2 others like this.
  7. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t make Phillips captain. If he has a poor run of form (which he has done at times) he needs to be droppable, and Koch has shown he’s more than capable of covering the DM position.

I’d make Dallas captain next season. May not be the most vocal but he’d inspire the rest of the side through his performances.

And yes, for me Dallas would be a regular next season, based on his consistently high quality displays over this season.

8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Im not sure Dallas will be a regular starter next season and I say that with the greatest respect as he has had a fantastic season and will be player of the year. If we buy a top left back that closes off one hole from him and if we buy a top midfielder as upgrade for Klich or to compete with Klich another hole gets closed. We all know that any new player has to be better than what we have, so if new players come in it leaves Stuey being sub for LB, RB, CM, LW or RW, but a Rolls Royce for the bench?

LeedsInHeaven, SIDDAS and Irishshako like this.
  9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all....

I was going to say Dallas for captain myself but if Cooper is going to be a regular what a horrible kick in the teeth stripping him of the armband. It wasn’t that far back that we dreaded transfer windows as our captain seemed to leave to join the likes of Norwich.

I think Struijk is better than Cooper but the important question is does Bielsa feel the same? I think Cooper will be the starting CB for next season and assuming Bielsa is in charge then there is nothing wrong with a bit of continuity.

In regards to Dallas he will always be ahead of Rodrigo and Harrison on the team sheet so I can’t see him missing many games myself.

Irishshako and hemase like this.
  10. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

It sounds like Bielsa will go with Cooper, which I think would be very unfair on Struijk who has played well and has earned his place. I suspect that might be the only change depending on how fit Philips is. Possibly he’ll go Koch & Kalvin rather than Klich?

11. Old Git

Old Git Well-Known Member

Erik Alonso: Derby County's proposed takeover by Spanish businessman called off.
    Whoops

12. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

No need to apologise to me mate. But cheers anyway.
    Does sound like coops is coming back in but it also shows that Bielsa now sees Struijk v Coops a 50/50 call. only form over the season has given Coops his place back. Bit unfair as the only way you improve them stat is with playing games. Got nothing against Coops, I guess when everyone is fit Two players will always have to miss out. Not nice to hear but very healthy for the club in gereral.
    This is where the other side of management comes in keeping players happy I guess that's why Bielsa likes a small squad.
    As Captain it's not something I personally see as massively important as I expect everyone on that pitch to help each other through any situation Yes there are vocal and quiet people in this world but they all have ways to help people in different situations.

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Right now we have 4 International CBs as Struijk is chased by Holland and Belgium. We have 2 very rare left side CBs so in all respects we have plenty of cover at CB for the first time in 3 seasons. We also have one if them who is club Captain and Bielsa has to work out if playing his skipper gives the team the bests chance or does playing the better player give him that? We have to go with whatever Bielsa says.

I have given up even thinking about team selection as whats the point in disagreeing with Bielsa, it can make you look stupid, so when I see the team-sheet I just say “what he said” <laugh>

14. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I think we might see some tinkering in the remainder of the season. I think Bielsa might continue with Koch as a holding midfielder and put Phillips further forward at 8. Could save us millions.

15. leeds down south

leeds down south Well-Known Member

Even corona won't fancy it in the East Stand Upper-
    upload_2021-5-14_12-31-17.png

16. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

If it aint broke don't fix it.

Irishshako likes this.
  17. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Are you saying its the end of a dynasty for Dallas?

18. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

The story I heard was that it was supposed to be £3.2m per place, but reduced this season only as the PL had to pay the broadcasters back a big chunk of cash. That was a good few months ago that I read about this. Possibly absolute nonsense, right enough.

Doc, wakeybreakyheart and Irishshako like this.
  19. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

20. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member