1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 17th June)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 17, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Friday 17th June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Swap deal on the cards involving Phillips

Manchester City could be persuaded to part with highly rated youngster Romeo Lavia on the proviso that Kalvin Phillips joins the Etihad this Summer, according Leeds Utd journalist Phil Hay. Lavia, a defensive midfielder, joined them in the Summer of 2020 from Anderlecht, and made an immediate impact. During their 20/21 campaign (at the age of 16), he made 15 starts for their U23's, and was a regular for their U18's.

After winning both, he was named as their (EDS) (Elite Development Squad) player of the year! Last season, Lavia broke into the Belgium U21 squad. A host of top flight clubs have been linked to the 18yo in recent times, though Citeh are reluctant to part with him, until now. According to Hay, 'City view a potential deal as a way to offset any bid they may make for Phillips'. Interestingly, in another article penned by the Hay, the Blue side of Manchester 'visualise a closing agreement of between £45 million and £50 million'.

please log in to view this image

Roca set to be unveiled

Barring an 11th hour disaster, Marc Roca is set to be unveiled as a Leeds Utd player later this afternoon. The 25yo flew into the Country last night, in preparations for his medical examination this morning, followed by a Press Conference at Elland Road. The two clubs nearly did business two years ago, when Michael Cuisance failed a last minute medical, and the deal collapsed.

A war of words ensued, with both clubs finger pointing at the other. Fortunately, their rift is long forgotten, and the German Champions have told their English counterpart that they're getting a decent player, as Phil Hay explains:-

“What Orta really likes about Roca was his time at Espanyol where he was extremely highly thought of and developing into a top player, which is why he went to Bayern Munich. What they know about him from Bayern Munich, what they have told them is that Bayern don’t have an issue with him really, they don’t see him as a player who has never fitted in, they don’t see him as a poor choice in signing him in the first place, they just have a strong squad that is tough to get into,”

Leeds bid on French U21 Striker

The Independent are reporting that Leeds have made a £17m offer for PSG striker Arnaud Kalimuendo. The highly rated 20yo has spent two seasons on loan at Ligue 1 side Lens where his performances have caught the eye of many European scouts. Kalimuendo, 20, was born in France, but is of Congolese descent. He was bought up in the Western suburbs of Paris, and joined local outfit FC Saint Cloud at 6yo. Four years later, PSG came knocking.

According to the Independent, Leeds see him as a replacement for Raphinha, but at 20yo (the same age as Gelhardt), is he ready for top flight football in the Premier League? He has netted 19 times in 60 appearances for Lens, and whilst he's improving all the time, the standard of Ligue 1 is sadly lacking, compared to the top tier in England!

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

Could be a big seven days ahead in the transfer market. All you can really do is hope Marsch and Orta have got it right, we all live in hope.

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Kalimuendo is an exiting prospect. His 19 goals for Lens doesnt sound much, but he scored 12 of them last season and started most of their league games. Yes only 20 but has power and pace and carries a £20m price tag, plus PSG want a buy back cluase as well as a big sell on %, so this rate him highly. He has obviously got more senior experience than Joffy, but maybe thats not Joffy’s fault. Big fan of Joffy but being No3 striker behind Kalimuendo and Bamford isnt bad going. I would be happy with this kid, but in fairness we are being mentioned as chasing around 12 strikers at the minute, lets wait and see :emoticon-0148-yes:

leeds60, southernwhite and foolee like this.
  4. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Morning all.

When was the last time we bought a player who's surplus to requirement at a so called big club and they went on to be a resounding success ?

At the moment can't think of anyone since Strachan.

In recent years we've tried;
    Kiko
    Firpo
    James
    & now it seems Roca.

Always remember when we signed the now sadly deceased David Rocastle who never really lived up to his reputation and don't get me started on Lee Sharpe FFS.

5. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Watched the obligatory highlights reel of him yesterday doc. He actually reminded me a bit of joffy… low centre of gravity and quick feet… Maybe a bit more mobile. I was kind of expecting more of a pacy whippet.

Hey just paper talk at the moment but young strikers are always the ones that pique the interest.

Doc and Irishshako like this.
  6. ellandback

Forum Moderator

I was going to say Strachan. May be stretching it, but I'm gonna say Max Gradel.

7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

There should have worked

Ian Rush
    Robbie Fowler
    Tomas Brolin

I've thought of two that worked

Mark Viduka
    Dominic Matteo

Jammy 07 likes this.
  8. Mr Wolves-White

Mr Wolves-White Well-Known Member

Talking of Lee Sharpe when I moved in to my house 3 years ago, we had to decorate the whole house thanks to the previous occupant neglecting the property. We were decorating the box room we striped the wallpaper to find a sex poem and the something about Lee Sharpe being well fit. I do wonder who she was thinking about when she wrote that poem.

9. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I think you'll find Viduka was flying at Celtic before we got him and I don't think they wanted to lose him. However at that time we were able to attract top players who were in form at big clubs

10. Mr Wolves-White

Morning all

ellandback likes this.

11. Mr Wolves-White

Didn't we sell Rush to Newcastle after a year?

ellandback likes this.
  12. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Matteo yes <ok>

Viduka as Eire says wasn't surplus to requirements at all but definitely was a great signing.

13. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

The last player we bought from the French league wasn’t too bad so if he’s anywhere near as good as that we’ll be onto a winner.

Marcos Barber and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

What about Pontus Jansson from Torino? Does Torino count?

15. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Always wished big Dunc had signed for us instead of Everton and wasn't a rumour started that we were after Gazza. I think Bill Fotherby was the one who started a lot of those.<ok>

16. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Alan Thompson?

It's difficult innit cos we been slumming it for years.

17. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

If we are going back to when football was a mans game, J.Giles was a bargain.<party>

leeds60 and ellandback like this.
  18. ellandback

Forum Moderator

There was a rumour involving Duncan Ferguson being responsible for Gary Speed's suicide.

Irishshako likes this.
  19. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

I remember that Shako, one newspaper basically said it was either us or Everton that would sign him. Then he went to Rangers.

There was also a rumour in the late 80's that we were trying to sign Maradona. Was even mentioned on breakfast TV news. And we were still in the 2nd division at the time. Madness, never believe what you read in the sports pages of any rag !

FORZA LEEDS and Irishshako like this.
  20. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

Not heard that one Ell, what's the story ?