1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 26th February)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Feb 26, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Friday 26th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Bielsa keen on Nkoulou reunion

Leeds are keen on signing Torino centre-back Nicolas Nkoulou this Summer. The 30yo centre back is in the final year of his contract, and will be available on a free transfer in the summer.

Bielsa is no stranger to the Cameroon International. He worked with him during his tenure at Marseille

Nkoulou began his career at Kadji Sports Academy in Douala, the same academy that produced the likes of Samuel Eto'o and Eric Djemba-Djemba.

According to Italian media outlet Calciomercato, Everton, and Leicester City are all keeping tabs on Nkoulou.

please log in to view this image

Leeds should bin 'non existent' Rodrigo - Kevin Phillips

Former England International Striker Kevin Phillips believes Leeds record signing Rodrigo has been a flop since his record breaking 30m transfer from Valencia last Summer. When asked for his thoughts on the 30yo's future amid interest from Juventus, Phillips said:-

“If Juventus are interested in signing Rodrigo I think Leeds would be tempted. “It has not worked out. He has been injury prone so they might look to get him off their books.

“Leeds may just park that one and go for someone else. He has been non-existent this season which is a shame because we never really got to see him at his best. “If they can do a deal at the end of the season I am sure that they will.”

If Leeds were able to recoup most of what they paid for Rodrigo, would you welcome his exit from Elland Road? The Spanish International has of course been playing out of position at Elland Road this season due to the incredible form of Patrick Bamford. Is Rodrigo worth 100k a week?

If Rodrigo were to move on to pastures new, there are two players who Bielsa and Victor Orta are both keen on; Douglas Costa and Julian Draxler!

Having dropped down the pecking order at Juventus, the Brazilian winger has been loaned out to German giants Bayern Munich. He has made 11 appearances this term, netting once.

Do Leeds need another winger?

Draxler is a natural attacking midfielder, a position that Leeds have found it difficult to fill. Victor Orta tried to sign the German International last Summer, but the 27yo wanted to fight for his place at PSG.

He will be out of contract in the Summer, which will obviously attract many top European clubs, yet the lure of Bielsa and Premiership football must be temping. We all know that Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani and PSG President Nasser Al-Khelaifi are close, but lets not forget the relationship between Bielsa and PSG's Manager Mauricio Pochettino!

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

Douglas Costa has been sent to Germany because he has lost pace. He is struggling in Germany too and only played 11 games and on top of that has a broken foot. So I dont see him ever coming to Leeds as Orta prefers to find his own Costa’s like Raphinah. Would love Draxler at Leeds but he loves Paris and his famous girlfreind works in Paris. sG are going to offer him a new contract because Pochetino has been playing him and Leonardo (Sporting Director) said yesterday we want him to stay and are preparing a contract? The only way Draxler comes to Leeds is if PSG contract is a pay cut and he can get the same wage as before by leaving on a free

Paddy Bamford told a Leeds podcast that Joffy Gelhardt is the closest hes seen to Wayne Rooney. He is built like him and so far has the same killer attitude and is a great finisher. He hopes he carries on developing and pushing because he said he could be brilliant

Whitejock likes this.
  3. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Rodrigo has done OK. Would I expect more from 30 million? Yes.

I'm undecided on him at the moment. He has shown some really classy runs and passes. He clearly has a bit of pace. He just needs to stay fit enough to get a real run of form going. I've seen enough to think there is a really good player in there.

If Juve offered the 30 million we spent on him then I'd take it and find someone else. If they offered 20 million then I'd keep him.

We don't need another CB. We've gone from having none to having a surplus. That is clickbait.

We need two central midfield players and a left back first. After that a keeper to replace Kiko and a striker to push for Bamford spot.

4. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Morning,

Seems Leeds are linked to every player who once played for Bielsa. Lazy journalism never ends.

No need for another CB, especially one who's already 30. We currently have 4 quality CB's plus Casey and Cresswell.

Too early to write Rodrigo off as a flop. The label 'injury prone' is thrown too often at players who miss a few games. He's been unlucky this season, simple as that. When he first arrived it was a case of getting up to speed with Bielsaball and his body not being used to it. He got over that hurdle and after a run of games was beginning to show why he's Spain's No.9. We could all see how he acquired this latest injury, by over stretching to reach a wayward pass from Alioski - the sort of injury that could happen to any player.

Not a good strategy to sell our best assets. We need to keep our recent big money signings and add to them by signing the likes of De Paul, Draxler, Pulgar etc. Trim the squad by getting rid of Casilla, Forshaw, Davis, Hernandez and Alioski. Promote Gelhardt, Greenwood etc.

If Bielsa stays on for next season Leeds will be there or thereabouts at the top end of the PL for sure.

LeedsInHeaven, OLOF, foolee and 7 others like this.
  5. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Morning all. Apologies if this is old news but was sent this from twatter.

"Thoughts go out to one of the greats Peter Lorimer and his family after going into hospice with late stage brain cancer" #LUFC#ALAW#MOT

6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Rodrigo is a bit under appreciated because we all thought we had bought Spains No9 but Bielsa had brought him in to be Leeds No10 who was able to play anywhere in the middle and out wide and up front. He bought a weapon that he can utilise in a number of ways. Some games he will use him as a 2nd striker and the next he will use him as a 10 or another 8 and then the next used as a 2nd winger on the left. He isnt ever used as a straight Pablo type player. So I dont think we know what Bielsa asks him to do against different opposition, but we do know Bielsa thinks highly of him and gives the team something else. He has had covid and has been injured this time but he aint a sicknote. We are better when he is in the team and adds class, maybe everyone doesnt see what he does. Remember what Bamford said about him, he said he is something else to see and does unbelievable things

7. Leedsdude

Leedsdude Well-Known Member

We need a decent LB, the likes of Tierney from Arsenal. Alioski is a real trier but you never know what he's going to do next and he has a tendency to lose the ball a lot. I don't know how much longer we can give Forshaw, and someone who has been out for that length of time rarely comes back as good as they were so we probably need a decent back up for KP. Maybe Shackleton can step up, I've always thought he could.

8. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The SPFL have announced the approval of concussion subs, news coming days after former Leeds United and Scotland defender Gordon McQueen was diagnosed with vascular dementia.

McQueen represented St Mirren, Leeds United and Manchester United at club level alongside 30 Scotland caps, managing Airdrie for a short spell. But his family have confirmed he was diagnosed last month.

A statement reads: “In January, Gordon McQueen, our dad, was formally diagnosed with vascular dementia. As a family we felt it was important to let people know, particularly if raising awareness can help others in similar situations.

“Whilst as a family we’ve found it hard to come to terms with the changes in dad, he has no regrets about his career and has lived life to the full. He had unforgettable experiences in his playing days with Scotland, Manchester United and Leeds United, and also took so much from his coaching and TV work in more recent times.

“Football has allowed him to travel the world and experience things he could only have dreamed of. But he wants other footballers of today’s generation to know there may be risks with persistent heading of the ball.

“Dad scored some important goals in his career and memorable headers but used to stay back in training, heading the ball to the goalkeeper for practice over and over. He does wonder if this has been a factor in his dementia as his symptoms appeared in his mid-60s.”

This news comes just as the SPFL approve concussion substitutes. Following a vote by all 42 clubs, the rule change will come into force from March 6 on a trial basis until the end of the season.

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: “The safety and wellbeing of players is clearly of the utmost importance to everyone involved with running football. The tragic news that Gordon McQueen has been diagnosed with dementia is the latest reminder of why it is vital that we do everything we can to protect those playing our game.

“We have seen a great deal of positive development in concussion protocols across sport in recent years and we hope that our participation in this trial will be the next step in that process.”

9. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

Morning all. Very sorry to hear that, Peter was a big asset to a great team. It was disappointing when he became an apologist for Bates.

10. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I suppose WC that he was trying to keep his job. My young lads met him in his pub, The Comercial a while back now and played pool with his son I think. They said that he was/is a nice bloke.<ok> Thinking back I met him in the Clayton hotel in Leeds in the bar. I was locked but remember shaking his hand and saying it was an honour to meet a hero and legend of mine. <ok> He said the same to me<laugh>

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I have some great memories of Lorimer on the pitch and some personal memories of Peter from Cherwell Hill and then at Leeds Sporting on Hunslet Road. Had a few beers together but like WC I was dissapointed when he took the Bates coin. Still I wish him all the best and hope he beats it

12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Just on the twin subjects of Big Gordon and Lorimer I’m surprised the club haven't got Scottish Wallor Hall of Fame because its amazing how many Scots have been at the club as players, coaches and even Managers in Jock Stein. Former club captains etc

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  13. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

my take on Rodrigo is that at his price and age (where he was always going to have very limited resale value) he was a short term fix to help maintain premier league status.

So he really needed to hit the ground running and as said, people’s expectations were set by the fee and the likelihood he would score goals. As it turns out someone else has got the goals And he has been used elsewhere and had fitness issues.

if you can park the fee issue, I don’t think he’s been a flop, we look more of an attacking threat when he plays, he always works hard. On the downside he’s struggled with injuries and when employed in a deeper role he’s conceded possession too easily. So, makes us better offensively, worse defensively.

I think with a clear run fitness-wise and a year to understand the bielsa way under his belt he would still have a lot to offer.

14. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Spot on milky <ok>

Would you turn down a decent offer for him though...say slightly less than we paid ?

His value will plummet soon if it hasn't already.

ristac likes this.
  15. w.c.dukenfield

I have never doubted that Peter was a decent lad. It was not what he said in the pub that was the problem it was what he said in the press, but I don't doubt he had reasons for supporting Bates

16. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

good question jambo - I always have an investment head on so I wouldn’t have bought him in the first place

now we have him, the questions from the clubs perspective now are:
    -can we get a better player for whatever he’s now worth...
    - or a better investment for what he’s now worth.

No and yes to the above probably

But really it’s down to how much bielsa rates him and how happy he is here.

I skillfully avoided the question there ;) dunno!

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

My view he needed the cash so knew he was being used by Bates. Now one thing I heard from who was very close to it all, but not sure of the truth of it, was that Peters relationship with Bates and being made a paper Director etc wasnt received well by many of the former players? I could be wrong but thats what I heard

Irishshako and w.c.dukenfield like this.
  18. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Afternoon all

19. w.c.dukenfield

Bloody hell have you just got up?

Whitejock and Irishshako like this.
  20. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I have! :D

Irishshako likes this.