1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 10th May)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 10, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Monday 10th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road.

Leeds outclass Spurs

Leeds turned on the style against an in form Spurs team, and gave them a master class on team work. Many (including myself) were left bemused an hour before kick off when the team sheet was disclosed, noting that Phillips, Rodrigo and Raphinha would all start on the bench. Our concerns would soon to laid to rest when Dallas (waiting on the back post) smashed the ball into the roof of the net, with less than 15 minutes on the clock.

Harrison's inviting cross from the left hand side byline into a crowded penalty area found Reguilon. With Bamford snapping at his heels, the Former Real Madrid defender stuck out his leg out to try and block the ball, but instead sent it goalward. Lloris could only parry the the ball into Dallas' path!

This was no more than Leeds deserved. Minutes before, Bamford was denied by a sprawling Lloris after good work by Harrison. Ten minutes later Spurs were level, albeit against the run of play. Delli Ali's inch perfect pass to Son carved the Leeds defence open. The South Korean fired the ball past the helpless Meslier bagging himself his 17th goal of the season.

The Whites deservedly regain the lead just before half time. Harrison fed Alioski down the left. The North Macedonian rolled the ball back to Bamford who made no mistake for six yards.

The Whites continued to dominate during the second half, and although Spurs had their moments, Leeds deservedly extended their lead with five minutes left. Raphinha broke the offside trap, and with acres of space broke into the Spurs penalty area. Unselfishly, he passed the pall back to Rodrigo who slotted the ball into the left hand corner.

please log in to view this image

Social media bullying

Should more be done to protect people from cyber bullying on social media? Not a week goes by when dozens of celebrities aren't publicly mocked for their weight, appearance, comments or ethnicity. If you are a celebrity, should you just take it on the chin, or should the Mark Zuckerberg's of this World do more to protect them.

Surely, its more import to protect the children that are being bullied. We know how cruel some kids can be!

Last year Carole Flack took her own life after being attacked by cyber bullies, and earlier this year Karen Carney almost went the same way.

Her foolish, and unprepared comments about Leeds following their 5-0 route of West Brom, caused thousands of fans to retaliate on social media, leading to Carney breaking down.

She told BT Sport: “I came off air and got in the car and remember saying to the guy who drives us home ‘it’s kicking off’ and I felt physically sick. “I was sat the whole night, until three or four in the morning, in this daze. It was horrible.

“I got a lot of stick for coming off of it (Twitter). Then you’ve got people around you saying stand up to it, banter back and have a bit of fun with it. “The bottom line was to look after my mental health first. That was my priority.”

“It was relentless. I can’t even describe it. People that know me know this is the job we do and choose to do it, but I’m low key, a simple girl who loves football. “I don’t want to be bombarded on social media platforms. It wasn’t for one hour, it was for three or four days and now it still comes up, people still send me abuse.

“Recently I’ve been on a lot of government calls with the social media platforms – but they don’t understand.
    “The people in charge of social media say ‘we’re doing this, doing that’ but they don’t understand, I’m just a number.”

“The only way I could make them understand was to say ‘do you want another Caroline Flack on your hands?’ Because that night that’s how I felt, and in that moment I could understand why she did what she did, because I could have gone to that place. “It’s definitely changed me, the impact it’s had on me. I’ve seen it with other pundits, I’m not just speaking about myself.

“About four years ago I got online abuse when I was playing, death and rape threats, leukaemia and things like that. “When it happened at Christmas it was another trigger and I don’t think my mental health has been the same since. “My behaviour has changed. I’ve been highly stressed and it wasn’t clear until (Chelsea manager) Emma Hayes rang and said ‘you’ve changed’.

If you are a Sports journalist, do you deserve to be targeted? Should someone this unstable be put in the firing line?

Look at the Sports journalists on TalkSport. They get thousands of derogatory responses on social media every day! Why don't they complain? Should the fact that she is a female Sports journo mean that we should treat her differently?

SIDDAS, Whitejock and NostradEmus like this.
  2. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

3. wakeybreakyheart

Burnley to allow fans in for free for the one game allowed at season end.

4. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all,

EFL announce that Championship teams will all be given an extra day off next season, no one will be playing Wednesday.

Great win on Saturday with an all round excellent team display. Two things about it showed why Bielsa is a god amongst us mere mortals.

1- Team selection. When it was announced as unchanged most fans were unhappy after the performance against Brighton. This is not the first time Bielsa has stuck with the same team after a poor performance and once again he was justified.

2- We, and most on here definitely, identified Bale against Alioski as our weak link. Bielsa identified it as Tottenhams and our best football all came down that side. Alioski and Harrison were excellent on Saturday.

SIDDAS, xbpod, Whitejock and 6 others like this.
  5. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

Morning all. I wonder if we have any cyber bullies on this board?. We have certainly seen some over the top comments about a Leeds player.

hemase likes this.
  6. ellandback

Forum Moderator

<laugh>

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

Bit sick of all the moaning from Karen Carney and anyone else who uses social media. Any footballer or celeb who uses it does so at their own risk. Footballers tend to use it to endorse things so accept it because they benefit from it. If everyone was forced to use their own name racial and sexual abuse would be sorted in no time. Any celeb like woke actors or the woke Lineker open their mouths and get abuse because they are thick and have views that the majority dont have. I cannot stand luvvies who do nothing but read other peoples words, giving us lectures about refugees etc, when they stay silent on women being abused by muslims etc. These dicks deserve all the abuse they get and Carney needs to STfU because she makes her incompetence worse.

Dont use social media if you are worried about being offended

SIDDAS, xbpod, Irishshako and 7 others like this.
  8. ellandback

Forum Moderator

You're not blaming Tom Lees again?

hemase likes this.
  9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I am being abused on here because I said I was worried about Alioski facing Bale. I was wrong I apologise <laugh>

George Caulkin covered the Leeds match as a stand in for Phil Hay for the Athletic and his report is brilliant, he was gobsmacked at the movement, mesmerised by the style and said He heard every word Bielsa uttered and said it was all in English.

10. ellandback

Forum Moderator

To me, it wasn't just about what Carney said, it was also the way she looked!

There was just something about her appearance, that wanted me to say 'bitch'.

I know I shouldn't judge, and I'm probably out of order.

If however she has said in nine out of ten previous seasons, Leeds have gained an average of 9 points from their last 8 games that would have been ok, as she is justifying her comment.

SIDDAS and wakeybreakyheart like this.

11. ellandback

Forum Moderator

How could you. We all had faith in Alioski... <whistle>

southernwhite likes this.
  12. w.c.dukenfield

I'm not blaming anyone, criticsism is OK but abuse is wrong.

ellandback likes this.
  13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

WCD, its a joke. Many moons ago, anything at all that went wrong at Leeds, it was Tom Lees fault.

14. w.c.dukenfield

Yes I appreciate that I wasn't critisising you.

ellandback likes this.
  15. Old Git

Old Git Well-Known Member

Bit sick of all the moaning from Karen Carney - exactly!

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  16. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Carney said something incredibly stupid and disrespectful to a large number of people. She deserved to be called out on that. She was in much the same way that numerous male pundits have been.

As with anything that happens anywhere there were a number of people who took it too far and descended into abuse. This is wrong of course.

Carney has chosen to go into a profession where you are in the public eye. She wants to make a career from it.

She must be incredibly naive if she didn't realise that this was what would happen.

The problem she has is she just not very good as a pundit. Poor insight and silly takes delivered in an uninteresting and annoying way. Not because she is a woman, I might add, the are plenty of male pundits the same ie Don Goodman, Andy Hinchcliffe & Steve Mcmanaman.

Watching the arsenal game on Thursday and twitter was full of fans of numerous clubs all commenting on how awful she is.

Maybe bt sport need to listen to their customers and move her on. It sounds like it might be doing her mental health some good as well as clearly she can't handle criticism for being rubbish at her job, something the rest of us all have to do at some point.

17. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Great point. She admits she has suicidal tendencies, but BT port stick her in front of a microphone in front of millions

SIDDAS, hemase and Doc like this.
  18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

BT Sport is dying and up for sale hemse so probably using cheap as possible pundits. BT Sport is hoping to be taken over by a bug streaming outfit who would benefit from their state if the art studio?

19. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Re Carney:

Criticising her comments is fine and comes with the job. If she can't handle criticism, she's in the wrong job.

Criticising her comments and bringing her gender into it, when reality is male pundits make stupid comments on a daily basis, not right.

Crossing the line from criticism into abuse, not right.

I think the standard of punditry is awful full stop, how often do you hear something and think, 'wow great point'? Don't hold your breath. It's just noise.

I think the women are largely pretty poor. Everyone jumps on the women and black pundits as quota ticking, which I get... but the problem for me with that is the people they're replacing were rubbish anyway. They're ex footballers FFS, they kicked footballs when other kids were reading. No wonder they all talk in cliches, and when you get someone who can string a sentence together like Gary Neville... or Paddy's post match interviews... it's the exception not the rule. The best you can hope for is that they have an engaging personality - and everyone has a different take on that.

20. wakeybreakyheart

Let's face it Carney is not any good at being a pundit. Feeling suicidal was she? Or was it just for effect and sympathy. Thus deflecting being shown up for basically knowing feck all. Would i jump on social media and slag her down?. No not at all because to me these pundits mean nothing and i only watch the games. I even mute at half time and make a drink etc. So sorry Karen and fellow Experts not interested.
    As for next season and keeping Alioski i doubt he will be here. Bale was not the player of old and Alioski chasing back got caught for pace chasing back at times. Bielsa has made him into a better player. So i say good luck with the three year contract and more money. Pergaps diving is allowed in Turkey and waving imaginary cards (joke).
    When we have played the better sides our full backs have been lost for pace. Fans are wanting top six and poss euro spots. Time for rads and Orta to be ruthless another upgrade is needed to the squad.
    After ten minutes on Saturday i felt comfortable and knew we would win. Spurs are not a team like us just a collection of individuals. Kane will be sold because he wants to win medals. But Leeds will not replicate this season with the sane squad.

OLOF, LeedsInHeaven, SIDDAS and 4 others like this.