1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 13th September)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Sep 13, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Monday 13th September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Totally outclassed

Liverpool cruised to a comfortable 3-0 win at Elland Road yesterday afternoon as Leeds slipped to within one place of the drop zone. It wasn't so much the scoreline, though 3-0 is bad enough; it was the manner of the loss. The Whites looked a shadow of their former selves from six months ago, devoid of ideas, lacklustre and rudderless. Only poor finishing, and one eye on Europe, spared Leeds blushes from a hammering!

Goals in the 20th, 50th and the 92nd minute compiled Leeds misery as Bielsa's men slipped to within a point of 18th place Burnley who travel to Goodison Park this evening. As Leeds have conceded eleven times, to Burnley's five; the Clarets only need to draw to leapfrog them.

An injury to Diego Llorente and straight red card to Pascal Struijk compiled Leeds further.

please log in to view this image

Will Bielsa appeal Struijk's ban

Pascal Struijk faces a three game ban following his early bath yesterday. Whilst the vast majority of fans up and down the Country were perplexed at the sending off, Leeds face an uphill battle to get the decision reversed. The seriousness of the injury, whilst devastating, had more to do with Harvey Elliott landing awkwardly than Struijk's tackle. Elliott will undergo surgery in the coming days.

I think we are all in agreement that Bielsa should appeal the decision, but do we think he will?

Are Leeds in trouble?

Four games in, Leeds are still searching for their first victory. Whilst that in itself isn't cause for despair, their performances are worrying. It seems the energy has been sapped out of the team, and they look like they have never played together before! Is it too early to press the panic button?

Everyone said we were too good to go down in 2004, and look what happened! It was recently disclosed that Leeds wage bill this season is expected to exceed 100m this term. Last season it was £78m, and £46m during our Championship winning campaign!

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all..

Bielsa was asked if he’d appeal, he said the referee has enough tools at his disposal to make decisions and virtually said he wouldn’t appeal but did pass a comment that it was strange that he didn’t give a foul.

Now we hear it was a dislocated ankle and not a broken bone I don’t see how an appeal would fail. A test for Bielsa now, we need Struijk and Bielsa needs to put his stubbornness to one side and lodge that appeal.

We’re on the verge of trouble, we must get three points on Friday night though and with Struijk, Koch and Llorente all unavailable we’re going to end up with a huge reshuffle.

We need to take a serious look at Llorente and Koch, we just can’t have another Forshaw situation with these two.

The Sky Commentary team mentioned yesterday how a few Leeds board members had brought up the fear of second season syndrome, they were amazed that they had sown the seed of doubt into the players after what was just three games.

The crazy thing about our wage bill… Rodrigo is either on the bench or out of position, Llorente and Koch spend more time on the treatment table and Firpo is quite possibly the worst player on the pitch.

3. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Good morning fellow sufferers.
    I do not think the Liverpool from this season, would have destroyed the Leeds from last season, as easily as yesterday, something is now missing from our game, the never say die attitude, confidence/self belief call it what you will, but it’s not their.
    We are now (from these early games), just another side who makes up the premier league and could struggle for the rest of the season on current form, and take the odd battering from any of the top four sides, along the way. It’s so important that we not only beat Newcastle, BUT PUT IN A GOOD PERFORMANCE to get our mojo back.
    I mentioned yesterday, and I will say it again, I think we miss Alioski more than any of us thought, he might not have been our best player, but he brought something even more valuable to our play and dressing room, an abundance of energy which possibly rubbed off on the rest of the team.

4. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

We were outclassed yesterday and it was frustrating to concede the second within the first 5 minutes of the second half as we somehow managed to go in at half time 1-0 down. This should’ve spurred us on to really go out and get something out of the game regardless of how overrun we were in the first half. It was a really sloppy goal to concede as well.

Never a red but even if we appeal it I can’t see them overturning it because they haven’t got the bollocks due to the injury. Exactly why he sent him off in the first place. The ref was playing on and wasn’t even going to give a foul until the reaction of the Salah, Klopp and when he saw the injury. Then we’re told that he was always going to give a red, what absolute rubbish. Just a shame as it completely killed the game and just as we looked like we might be starting to get a bit of a foothold. Not saying we would’ve got anything and Liverpool more than deserved the win but cards change games. One of the most disappointing things about this is we’re now left with Cooper and Ayling at CB with either Dallas or Shackleton at RB for the games we really need to be winning. I feel Rodrigo needs to be dropped in place of Klich or Roberts. Klich actually makes things happen and Roberts seems to actually know the system.

No need to panic yet. Got a good draw against a good Everton side. Hard fought draw against a tough Burnley and two losses against far superior opposition. If we come out of Newcastle, West Ham and Watford with less than 6 points I’ll be worried.

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Yesterday was another day to stay off social media. Gutted, yes but pragmatic and I know we will be ok. However you can see the belief in Bielsa dripping away because even Dyche knew how to stop us playing and he has a bunch if animals but Klopp and even OGS have given us a lesson. Bypass Phillips and Leeds cannot play. We saw Harrison swamped on the left wing every time he took a pass, so we had few outlets. Junior had his hands full of Salah but at least he looked good going forward. Raphinha was ineffective and was Dallas mentioned in the first half. If Rodrigo scores we have a different game. Cooper has a nightmare again, Ayling flat, Llorente worrying, Forshaw injured again too, no Koch, no end product, massive rethink needed now this week.

The U23s sacrificed two players at half time so that they would be available for the bench. Cresswell may need to be used now if we dont appeal Struijk. Summerville still waiting. If this goes on I see Bielsa resigning because he blames himself and that is a worry, but we have to remember we have been smashed by 2 teams who will finish in the top 4 and were expected to get beaten by them. We drew against a team which will be pushing for top 6 which gives a better reflection of 3 games so far. None of our players except for Phillips would get in any top 4 team so lets put this season start down to the fixture list.

6. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all,

Second best to one of the best teams in the world, annoying but not the end of the world.
    There were points in yesterday's game where we did look like last year's Leeds. Good attacking flow and end to end stuff but not nearly enough.
    The next 7-8 games will determine how our season is going, not the first four.

Firstly I would like to wish the Elliot lad a swift and full recovery. Very unlucky to be injured in a freak accident like that.

The tackle was great from Struijk with an unfortunate tangle of legs. The ref had no intention of blowing for even a foul so the bullshit about he was ashtrays going to give a red is just saving face.
    Klopp crying and whingeing and the fact it was a nasty injury for our lad sent off, not the tackle itself.
    I liked klopp when he first arrived but he has been there too long and developed the victimpool mentality. Ashamed of nothing, offended by everything.
    100% we should appeal but then this is Leeds so we wouldn't win.

Seen some disparaging comments about Firpo on here and social media. Personally I think he showed glimpses of the player Bielsa & Orta wanted while up against some of the best players in the world. He will be better for a full 90 and hopefully will improve again against Newcastle.

7. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I'm still full of hope.

As @Doc says we have had a difficult fixture list thus far.

The biggest thing for me though is that none of our main men in the final third are in form at all. Harrison, Raphinha, Bamford, Rodrigo are all well out of form. That won't last forever. There are some real quality players in there and not one of them have started the season well. It will come. Just hope it's the next game.

I also believe that once we get the first win then confidence will return and we'll be off again.

Stop panicking.

8. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Firpo was left hanging by Harrison yesterday. TAA and Salah running at you? Not sure anyone copes with it.

It's a new club and partnership with Harrison.

Only his second start.

Just had covid.

He looks a good athlete. Looks quick, can jump, has a good engine. I'm hopeful the lad settles in. Getting on his back won't help.

9. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Klich has to come back in for Rodrigo on Friday. He was ineffectual again yesterday and I thought Roberts did more in the first ten minutes of the second half than rodrigo did in the whole of the first.

People hating on Cooper again but I thought he made some key clearances and blocks and tackles.
    The yellow card he received seemed soft to me as well. The way Mane went down seemed over the top compared to the actual contract Cooper had with him.

10. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Before the sending off I have to say Struijk was magnificent. I hope the club will tie him down with a long contract because he really will be one of the best as he gets older and better.

11. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Have our fixture list been more difficult than the teams below us?

Leeds have played - Man U, Everton, Burnley and Liverpool. 2 points -11

Burnley have played Brighton, Liverpool away and us. Brighton did the double over us last season

Newcastle - West Ham, away at Villa, Southampton and away at Man U

Poor Norwich have had Liverpool, away at Man C, Leicester and away at Arsenal

Whitejock likes this.
  12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

You need to see what the ref sees and he was caught holding onto the Everton striker and gave away a penalty, yesterday he was clearly caught holding onto Mane and was booked. You cannot hold someones shirt or have arms around a player. Yes everyone does it but twice in 3 games hes been caught. I have said before his blocking is invaluable but he is on course to be banned again this season like last season

Marcos Barber, OLOF and hemase like this.
  13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Vultures already circling as Man City now want to sign Phillips?

14. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

Wipe the slate. Get some positivity back in the dressing room.
    Focus now should only be on the Barcodes Friday.
    4 games in. 3 Teams out of that will finish top 6. outclassed by Scum,Pool teams who will finish top 4. Matched Everton who will be around top 6.
    Burnley was disappointing but we still got a point.
    Newcastle are our bread and butter games. we really need a performance because honestly they are probably the crappiest team in this league.
    I live there I have best friends who are season ticket holders. Even the diehard's have lost faith with the going on's at the club.
    I'm actually in the home end Friday night I could well be trampled and dead come Fulltime.

The mood has swung you see it on social media, people are starting to get disgruntled, Arguments are a brewing. We have to get behind the team now be that 12th man. They all read social media we need to keep it positive a season isn't lost in 4 games in which 3 on paper we were not supposed to win anyway.
    Chins up lads some fights have been lost but the war isn't over !
    As someone said above it's time to find our Mojo again.

15. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Morning all and hope everyone is well.

Yesterday's match had that big game vibe that we've been yearning for the last 17 years. Liverpool were in town and they showed why they are one the best teams on the planet when they have their big guns all fit and firing. Sharp doesn't even come close to describing watching them in the flesh, they were absolutely electric and though it pains me to say it played some sublime football at times.

From our point of view we shouldn't be too despondent as it showed all our players the levels required to be at the really elite level. Some will get there, like Phillips who was outstanding and others will unfortunately not. You learn more against the best than 100's of games at a lower level I would have thought.

One big positive for me was our play and energy after going down to 10 men. We really went at them and perhaps were a little unfortunate to not get one back to make a game of it. We showed huge character and determination by getting forward in large numbers against a top team and whilst we never really looked like getting anything from the game we certainly didn't capitulate which was great to see.

Keep the faith boys and girls and all will come good.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  16. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

A positive from yesterday I think was Bamford. Worked hard as always and was always getting into the right positions. Unlucky not to score with the chip attempt but did well against the world's best defender.
    Hopefully bag a goal or two against Newcastle

foolee likes this.
  17. ellandback

Forum Moderator

I agree

18. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Reading around I see some vultures are circling to get Bielsa out, robotic, no idea what he's doing, too loyal, ffs we're 4 games in,some of the stuff is disgraceful,. No it's not been good, far from it but let's give the team and coaches a chance to recover from it, 10 games before the table starts to shape up. Too many players off it atm, surely that won't continue, A good few of us thought it would be difficult to achieve what we did last season without quality additions and that's looking the case..so far.
    Hopefully the crowd at the games keep more positive than the one's on social media and forums because the last thing the lads need now is moans and groans and not want the ball because they're scared to make a mistake.

Keep the faith

19. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

It's the one's directly above us we should be looking at, the one's below us are probably there, as they too have had a tough fixture list

NostradEmus and ellandback like this.
  20. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Players should be picked depending on form, not your favourites.
    Shackleton deserves a chance, Ayling should be dropped.
    Gelhart and Greenwood deserve first team game time, as does Summerville and Cresswell!