1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th June)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

Just think for a minute - if PSG were willing to pay more than £42m for Phillips, why would Leeds sell to a lower bidder. Do you really think Orta/Rad are that stupid ?
    There were no reports of higher bids from PSG, that's just paper talk and wishful thinking.

2. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

I didn't "bash" him at all 2020-21 season.

3. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

And a left back.

wakeybreakyheart and NostradEmus like this.
  4. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

Yes but if he is the join a top club and win honors at club level, now is the time for him to leave.
    City (and others) might have moved on in a year.

Don't kid yourself, city loyalty doesn't compare to the riches and fame a move can bring. If you're right, Kalvin will turn down this transfer won't he - but I don't think he will.

5. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting Leeds could have refused all offers until January ?

6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Lots of ex players in the media explaining how the Phillips fee is a fair one. Mainly because of his contract with only 2 years as thats the point when the contract works in favour of the player. He had all last season out with injury so a bad injury which could flare up again. His insistence on City and nobody knows whats in the small print?

if a player refuses a new contract it means he wants to leave and the transfer price starts falling. Grealish signed a new 5 year deal with a big pay rise and to make sure Villa were compensated if he left, they put a £100m buy out clause in the contract. City paid the buy out and Villa got compensated and bought players. Phillips could have done that too but refused a new contract and pay rise

7. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same over the weekend Doc but probably agent played a big part wanting the deal to be as appealing as possible for City in case they walked away and he lost out on his fat commission

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Doc likes this.
  8. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Spot on Doc

9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We could have slapped a valuation on him of £80m and yes refuse all offers until it is one worth accepting. What if they had offered £10m and it was the highest offer, we'd have turned it down. There really wasn't any reason to accept the low ball offer which we did. We are not going to go out and attract a £40m player as a replacement and surely when you replace a player the absolute minimum is one of equal quality to the team, not less.

We are going back to a scattergun approach, I have nothing against spending the amounts we are on gambles when it is to replace fringe players or ones like Roberts, Klich, James (or Harrsion), Shackleton, Forshaw even one of the CB's, Poveda and Costa

Allowing your best two to leave and one of them on the cheap and replacing with the players we are bringing in is a huge gamble

10. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Firpo for 13m is probably a good example.
    Hell need to improve or be replaced. If replaced wed be left with a player we wouldn't get all our money or maybe any money back on. There are dangers as you say

ristac likes this.

11. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I know there’s is no loyalty in football, that’s why I added the ironic whistle. Doc explains it perfectly further down the thread. He could have signed and inserted a buy out clause so that the club could have got market rate.

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  12. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

not sure how you’re defining ‘reports’ and ‘paper talk’ but anyway…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thisis...rs-adams-kalvin-phillips-manchester-city/amp/

Romano is widely considered to be a reliable source on such matters.

But hey thanks for the advice and I’ll try and think for a minute before posting in future <cheers>

Aski likes this.
  13. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

If I only thought for a minute before posting, my post count would be about 15 times more than it is ;)

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  14. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Take off your Phllips rose tinted glasses. <doh>

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  15. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that Ell

Phillips average rating for last season for every Premier League game (total 12 games) under Bielsa was 6.5475. His best rating for a game under MB was 6.94 (achieved in 2 games, in the home wins over Watford and Palace) and his worse rating was 6.09, being West Ham at home

When JM took over, KP played a further 8 games and had an average rating of 6.58625. His best rating was the Brentford game when he was marked 7.19, his worse rating was the Chelsea game when he was marked 6.06

This means whilst playing for JM, his average rating was 0.03875 better than when playing for MB last season.

Basically he was totally average, under both managers , however the position he played under MB was more important to the team than with JM.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Irishshako and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  16. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

OOOOOOOH Elland won't like that.<laugh>