1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 7th June)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 7, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Monday 7th June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Arsenal offer Nketiah to Leeds

Arsenal have offered Leeds the opportunity to snap up Eddie Nketiah for £20m. The 22yo spent time at Elland Road during the 19/20 season, netting three times in 17 (mainly cameo) appearances.

Gooners Manager Mikel Arteta wants to free up cash to bring new players to the Emirates this Summer; and has decided that Ainsley Maitland-Niles and Nketiah are surplus to requirements. Both players have been slapped with 20m price tags.

Could Leeds be interested in Maitland-Niles? He's a natural left back, but has the versatility to play anywhere in midfield or right back! He spent last term at West Brom!

Nketiah made 30 appearances across all competitions during the 2020/21 campaign, 17 of which came in the Premier League. He started all six of the Gunners’ Europa League group stage games, scoring three times.

Apart from the top four, Leeds have missed the most chances last season.

mostchancesmissed.jpg

If they were to sign a predator sniffing around the penalty box, that number would be drastically reduced, but that is not how Bielsa plays! Is 20m expensive for a young striker? To put it in perspective, a number of clubs are sniffing around Chris Wood. Burnley won't let him leave for anything less than 30-40m.
    Would you buy Nketiah?

please log in to view this image

Bielsa denies Meslier Olympic opportunity

Illan Meslier has been talking to French daily newspaper Le Telegramme about his enjoyment at representing Leeds last season, missing his home town and his family. Interestingly, Bielsa has prohibited the 21-year-old from appearing in the Olympics this Summer, as it would coincide with the pre season training.

"It's a breath of fresh air, it's true that I miss the sea, family, friends, it's a balance. I had not been able to come back [to Merlevenez] since last October. My parents came [to Leeds] for Christmas. I am here since Tuesday to spend my vacations.

"It's a special club because of its history. It's a bit like Saint-Etienne and Lens back home. There is an exceptional atmosphere in the stadium, with great supporters who like to make noises and sing songs - which I don't understand - but there are no insults in England. It's a crazy atmosphere like in Liverpool, Manchester, it gives you the shivers,"

When asked whether he would represent France in the Olympics, Meslier replied:-

"No, because Leeds is refusing," "It's a very bad time because two days after the final, it's the Premier League again. I can't afford to be away a month before."

Leeds in race for Milan ace

Leeds are stepping up their interest in AC Milan midfielder Tommaso Pobega, according to the Italian giants website.. The 21yo has enjoyed two impressive seasons on loan, and is currently away with the Italian U21 squad.

Bielsa has been monitoring the 6ft 2' central midfielder since February, but will have to fight off attention from German outfit Eintracht Frankfurt, who already have a good working relationship with San Siro giants. They swapped Ante Rebic for Andre Silva in 2019!

SIDDAS and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  2. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all,

Nothing pertained against Nketiah but not sure that's the player we need this season. Out of the two I'd take Maitland - Miles. Seems like a very good player

SIDDAS likes this.
  3. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Morning all,

Would rather give Gelhardt or Greenwood a chance than waste £20m on Nketiah, who has already shown he doesn't fit the Bielsa system at Leeds.

Maitland-Niles looked good on the few occasions I've seen him, but for someone who's described as 'a natural left back' I've never seen him play there :emoticon-0112-wonde thought he was predominantly right footed <confused> in any case he's a perfect example of a player being way overpriced just because he's English.

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Bielsa fancied Fast Eddie due to his data. He was a fans favourite and a nice lad. He will also know whats expected of him if he came to Leeds. My guess is that if Bielsa wants him he has way of playing him in mind and thinks he can do it. So a yes from me if Bielsa wants him, if not thats fine too. If he does come though its bye bye for Roberts. I would also say that any player we sign will be able to play different positions, and the 3 striker kids we bought last Summer for the 23s have all played different positions from wing to midfield from No9 to No8 and No10. Rodrigo plays anywhere along the front 4 and Llorente and Koch can both play DM or RB. Raphinha plays both wings and Bielsa says he thinks he can play 10 too.

Poor old Llorente is in isolation due to a Spanish player testing positive so the Spanish squad locked down and not playing their last warm up game.

So Wjinaldun wanted a huge contract from Liverpool and hung on all season waiting for his dream move to Barcelona and because he was going on a free he wanted a huge salary. Barcelona offered him the deal he wanted and he was now on for his DREAM move, until PSG rang him up and offered to double his salary and he now gets his other dream move to Paris. These poor loyal put upon black players who get a raw deal….

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Southgate got something right at last. Congratulations Ben White, now you should be picked ahead of Mings or Cody<applause><applause>

leeds60, hemase and SIDDAS like this.
  6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I remember plenty of fans moaning or worrying about not having a CB when Bielsa sold Pontus to Brentford. Then we brought in a kid who had spent his time playing L2 football on loan. What was Bielsa thinking? We saw the genius of Bielsa right there and Ben White had a season he will never forget and was talked about by plenty of top clubs. A season later he is selected to play for England. Can any other so-called top manager boast about having done this? Spotted an unknown nobody and knew he was capable of being special and a few months later watch him play for his country. Bielsa creates Roy of the Rovers stories in football

Whitejock, 2 pennth, leeds60 and 2 others like this.
  7. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I said the other day that Ben White is Englands best centre back. I stand by it.

Hopefully he starts every game.

Doc and hemase like this.
  8. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

No to Eddy

9. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Good morning from quarantine central. I remember being with Eire in the west stand and watching fast Eddie. As a footballer he was rubbish. He could not pass a ball and i knew then he was not going to make it. He has a famous uncle which no doubt gave him a leg up. 20 million is an absolute joke for a player no better than a host of league 1 strikers. We would be far better keeping one goal than sign him.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  10. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

White has had a very good season with Brighton but that is only because of the work he put in with Bielsa. He developed into this player with us, not this year at Brighton.

For me he starts alongside stones for England if Maguire isn't fit. I prefer him to Maguire but know Southgate will go with slab head first.

Mings should be nowhere near the England set up. He is just a thug playing as a footballer. Not only the forearm smash he got away with against Austria but watching him yesterday his first instinct is always to grab the shoulder or foul the attacker, far too big a liability.

11. Mr Wolves-White

Mr Wolves-White Well-Known Member

As much as I prefer bringing up English talent I would say no to Eddie as we could sign a player with as much talent and potential from abroad for a fraction of the price in the current climate. If I was Arsenal I wouldn't be selling players especially if they're gonna struggle to sign players this summer. Just look Villa have agreed to sign Bunedia from Norwich instead of him going to Arsenal.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  12. NostradEmus

20 million is way too much for Eddie. He might not be the all round player we need but he does have that natural goalscoring instinct.

It's Bielsa decision but I reckon Gelhardt needs a go.

Doc likes this.
  13. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

Think its all applauds for Bielsa on making Ben White in what he is today. but, lets give a lot of credit to Victor Orta and his scouts as they were the men who found White they had been tracking him for a while.
    He went into depth about it on that Phil Hay podcast. saying how much that 1st game was like a make or break game. A couple of bad passes or a early bad mistake and the fans would of went for him saying how can this rookie be a replacement for Jansson.
    The rest is history as they say. I just wish we had a buy on clause like we had with Harrison but apparently that was never going to happen from Brighton.
    I do think he will leave sooner rather than later but I think the bird has flown in our pursuit of him aswell as us recruiting well after chasing him.
    As for us and transfers So much bullshyt going around.
    I'm still holding on for Rodrigo De Paul. but whatever chance we did have last season it seems to be further away now.
    but, I can always hope. nothing wrong in having hope even if it looks dead in the water.

leeds down south and Doc like this.
  14. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Loving this Cloughie story I stumbled upon ....

SIDDAS likes this.
  15. Old Git

Old Git Well-Known Member

16. wakeybreakyheart

I'm still hoping for lindsey de paul but we can't get what we want. <laugh><laugh><laugh>

OLOF and SIDDAS like this.
  17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Rodrigo now called up to Spanish Euro squad to train in a different bubble and at different times to the isolated Squad riddled with Covid. Seperate bubble for the players who have had it and or haven't got it. Seems a new squad will emerge under the rules?

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  18. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

Just cancel the Euro's lol.

19. NostradEmus

20. wakeybreakyheart

Might do him good help with fitness.