1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 9th December)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Monday 9th December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds create eight point gap as they chalk up 6 in a row

Leeds 2-0 win at the John Smiths Stadium at the weekend not only stretched their winning run to six games but has created an eight point gap between the Whites in second place and Fulham / Bristol City in 3rd / 4th.

Bielsa's men didn't have it all their own way. The Terriers more then held their own in the first half, forcing a string of fine saves from Casilla. As the game went on, Leeds found their rhythm and gradually began to dictate.

Alioski opened the scoring five minutes into the second half. The Macedonian latched on to a clearance from a corner amd volleyed the ball from the edge of the penalty area through a crowd of players with what can only be described as a Yeboah-eque strike.

The game was wrapped up twelve minutes from time when Harrison delivered a peach of a ball to tee up Hernandez on the far post.

Post match reaction

Arsenal U-turn - Nketiah stays at Leeds

Leeds have received a massive boost with the news that Arsenal have changed their minds and are happy to allow Eddie Nketiah to stay at Elland Road until the end of the season.

Multiple reports last week were claiming that Arsenal 'were not thrilled' with the lack of game time the 20yo was making, but after discussions have changed their stance. The Nketiah camp will sort out terms on bonuses and perks to make sure Nketiah gets the most out of his stint at Leeds.

Recently, when the subject arose, Bielsa was quoted as saying:-

“I hope he continues and I wish he wants to stay with us,” the 64-year-old said last month.

“I think Eddie’s integration into Leeds is going to be good if he stays in January and one more year.

“Him and Leeds be able to show with confidence we are looking for him.”

please log in to view this image

Who is the most improved player this term, compared to last season?

Casilla

Harrison

Alioski

Dallas

In what order would you put them in?

please log in to view this image

Farsleyexile and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all..

We’ve put together a great run and that run has included having to cope with injuries and suspensions, some were scrappy others were class but yesterday’s first half was more than scary.

Tomorrow we can’t give Hull and Bowen in particular the kind of chances we did against Huddersfield. I’m pleased with the weekend win but I think we went one step too far with square pegs in round holes.

Casilla the most improved but that’s down to not coming for so many balls and missing. Good news on Arsenal and Eddy but they haven’t got the new manager in place yet who might say otherwise.

bucks_is_leeds and Eireleeds1 like this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

I think the square pegs round holes issue was brilliant and demonstrates how Bielsa's brain works. Yes it looked scrappy but in fairness to Udders they had a game plan to press and harry everything and in the first half it worked, it was a good game plan but even then we were unlucky not to be a couple up and their keeper excelled. 2 full backs at CB, 2 wingers as full backs and a CB as DM was genius as it kept players who have performed playing. It did however in the first half keep Harrison out of the game but Alioski can do that as we had 2 wingers on one side. Costa made some good runs but held onto the ball instead of picking out Bamford who was unmarked on the back stick. 2nd Half was better as both wingers were involved more and it now looks like we are scoring from corners every week too. Oli Casey is an U18 player who has broken into the U23s this season because Halme and Diaz are no longer with us, and he is going to be a class act. Feel for Struijk as injury cost him his place. Also thought Bielsa's comment on how he integrates kids into the first team squad was very telling. He said that he likes to see how kids fit by watching the first team squad and how they react and interact and if they take the kid under their wing Bielsa knows the kid has been accepted and will be given confidence to perform. Can't see Jose' doing that as he never spoke to any kids at OT.

Danny Mills comments on Eddie? anyone read them? He actually slated Eddie as being he most disappointing player this season who has failed to live up to his reputation. He says some sensible stuff and makes you think because Bielsa knows there's a big player there and needs to hone his game to bring it out. Yes we all may complain about Bielsa leaving him out but how many would drop Bamford right now? Arsenal have had a rethink and suspect input from Bielsa and stat reports will have demonstrated why Eddie has underperformed and why he would be better staying. Eddie can be a top prem star but scoring goals for England U21s isn't anywhere near the level of this league with seasoned cheaters, seasoned dirty twats, experienced skilful players and super fit grown men. So if reports that Eddie is staying are true that means Brewster isn't coming or indeed the Everton Turk Tosun

Farsleyexile likes this.
  4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Chuffed with that win. Hoping the Eddie thing pans out as Ive no doubt he will play a very important part in second half of season if only to give Paddy a half hour rest in games. Defensively we got away with it mainly thanks to Casillas excellent saves who for me is the most improved player. Dallas second

ristac likes this.
  5. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Casilla most improved. He was a liability last season and has been generally very good this season.. still has a kiko moment in him, but has kept the gaffes to a minimum, stopped hurtling from his goal and made some very good stops. The one in the second half yesterday probably saved us 2 points. It’s a credit to him actually to finish last season with the derby game and turn it around.

harrison is getting more consistent and is better this year... Dallas actually was good last season it just took him a little time to adjust to full/wing back and us a little time to notice. Alioski? Don’t see much difference to last season. Some good games some anonymous ones. Generally better as wingback with the game in front of him than as an attacker, though i rarely have a clue where he’s actually playing.

6. milkyboy

Agree it shows how his brain works, he favours getting his ‘best’ players out there and relies on ‘total football’. It was a step too far yesterday. We already lost one of our best players in Phillips... by playing our other best player this season in white out of position to cover for him... it meant effectively weakening two key positions instead of 1. This in a game where our captain (and other centre half) was crocked. We rode our luck yesterday, needed our keeper to be at his best to get the points.

bielsa is a genius but a stubborn one

Farsleyexile, ristac and Doc like this.
  7. 1964white

1964white Well-Known Member

Bielsa wasn't happy with our defending on Saturday so he'll definitely bring back Phillips to give us some composure between the edge of our box & the halfway line. We'll need KP to keep tabs on Jarrod Bowen too!

Hopefully Cooper is fit too, unsure of the severity of Coops current injury :duno:

8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Bielsa brings Kalvin Phillips back but plays him in goal <laugh> Genius. Kiko and White as CB partnership, that'll mess with some heads

9. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good Morning to Matt and co froma somber Bardsey
    You will remember I tiok Moe to Manchester Airport on the indian train
    Well I went for her and her friend yesterday and took the friend home to Shildon arrivied back in some appalling weather at 9pm
    Moe went to see her old friend in hospital well she died at 11.30 last night god bless her sole
    WBA are making statements and we go on winning some very difficult game are coming Cardiff Hull and Fulham
    Most improved player by a country mile Kiko followed by Harrison
    Glad to have White back as CB I THOUGHT THAT Beradi was out muscled by Mounie

ristac likes this.
  10. milkyboy

He could play kiko in midfield.., had plenty of experience there last year:biggrin:

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

On the most improved player front you have 3 choices really who all deserve recognition. Harrison spent all summer getting fitter and practiced final delivery and all this before players came back for pre season. He has really been different class this season. Kiko has the best stats anywhere in EUROPE AS HE HAS ONLY ALLOWED 10 goals past him. His distribution is top class and he plays more passes than many of the opposition players, hes actually another defender and schemer. Dallas is the one thats surprised me because he has been a better right back than Ayling, hes played wing and even midfield and on the left. He is a complete Bielsa player and he used to worry me whenever he was picked but I never even blink now wherever he plays

most improved fan is Eire <laugh>

Farsleyexile and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  12. Eireleeds1

I had a very low starting point in fairness :(

13. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a nomination

14. Eireleeds1

You've a lot more work to do Wakey, it takes years <ok>

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  15. milkyboy

Eire and wakey aren’t improved. They’ve failed to get with the program and do it the bielsa way.... where plan b is to do plan a better.

these 2 turncoats have chucked aside their cynical dour demeanours and become boring paragons of happiness.

Its the equivalent of bielsa playing 442 hoof ball.

most improved my arse
    :emoticon-0105-wink:

Doc and Eireleeds1 like this.
  16. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

I would not vote for your arse it it was the last arse on earth.

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  17. Leedsdude

Leedsdude Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear Nketiah is staying, I think he'll be the difference in the run in this season.
    Kiko is the most improved.
    Watching the game on Saturday I kept saying to myself, there's no way Huddersfield can keep this pressing game up for 90 minutes. In fairness to them, for a team with a lot of injuries they kept going and created 3 great chances in the second half. But we know all about not taking chances!

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  18. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bielsa said before the match on Sky it was precautionary as he felt a twinge in his calf

19. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My concern with Bielsa is his instance to fit both Dallas and Ayling into the same team even if it means one or both out of position, I shouldn’t be concerned as we’re 8 clear of third and looking good at present.

Regarding corners, I think the supply and delivery have been good for the majority of the games but the final execution poor. A few weeks ago I remember commenting on how four of our corners in one game landed at the feet and head of our own players with pin point accuracy but the chances were squandered.

Yesterday our first two corners were delivered with the same accuracy, good scoring chances but not taken. The third was actually headed clear by their defender only for Alioski to score from a very difficult chance.

20. milkyboy

My arse isn’t standing for election. No shortage of them to vote for on Thursday though.