1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 16th June)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 16, 2022.

1. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

...and likely not had them in the first place if we weren't in the PL

It is what it is, unless you have an arab billionaire backer, the only way to progress is to sell your best players at the optimal time and get your (cheaper/younger) replacement recruitment right. Clearly, that's the plan. Like any plan, the devil's in the detail.

Peronally i'm fine with it in principle... and refreshing the squad as we're doing add's a bit of interest. Next season will definitely be a step into the unknown.

foolee, Whitejock, Irishshako and 2 others like this.
  2. milkyboy

saves forking out for a new frock

Irishshako likes this.
  3. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Reminded my son on the way to the Brighton game to enjoy it as this might be his last PL game for a while. Rather perceptively he responded that quite possibly it could be the last ever PL game in my case and therefore my need was greater than his.

**** me the truth hurts sometimes.

stonkin, OLOF, FORZA LEEDS and 5 others like this.
  4. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0137-clapp Well said Forza, all Leeds fans on here and everywhere should read that.

FORZA LEEDS and Irishshako like this.
  5. milkyboy

Hope springs eternal Jammy. If you stop his pocket money, you might make it to august before he can afford the hitman.

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  6. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

That's Shaks and OLOF isn't it ?

AKA...the hitman & her <laugh>

OLOF and Irishshako like this.
  7. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

My mood might change after those magical 10 games in, but I'm just grateful that we survived last season and I realise that we can't compete yet with the top 6 or so teams, but that's what going to be fun, trying to beat them. What I can't understand (yes this is a forum for different opinions) is before a ball is even kicked, that there are posters calling some of our signings lightweight abd we are going to struggle blah blah blah. Just let's all get behind the players who are staying come 6th Aug. it's out of our hands whoever leaves. LEEDS LEEDS LEEDS

8. Irishshako

I wouldn't rate playing for England as they've been found out. FFS Bamford even had a game.<ok>

OLOF and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  9. Irishshako

I don't think you can judge Philips for last season because he was out more than he was in. I think that there were more players who played last year and dug us out of the mess that were better than him, But that's just my opinion. Certainley Raph was one of our best players.<ok>

OLOF, FORZA LEEDS and NostradEmus like this.
  10. Irishshako

It's nothing to do with the cult of Bielsa and quite frankly I can't believe the anti Bielsa sentiment on here, from supporters who were glad to ride the bandwagon of success. I've personally moved on from the great man, flaws and all. But Philips is where he is because of Bielsa. Without him he may have been just another journey man playing in the Championship with his,"beloved Leeds Utd".The sooner he moves on the better for Leeds Utd, himself and for not606.<ok>

Doc, FORZA LEEDS and Whitejock like this.

11. Irishshako

A friend told me the Viaduct was the place to be, or is that soooooooooo last season.<diva>

Jammy 07 likes this.
  12. Irishshako

Now Este, you don't want to get the Tranny three all moist.<laugh>:emoticon-0105-wink:

13. Irishshako

Here here Este, one of the most sensible posts to date.<applause>:grin:<cheers>

14. Irishshako

STOP with all this positivity.<laugh>

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  15. Irishshako

OLOF is on his way as you type<laugh>

OLOF and Jammy 07 like this.
  16. Irishshako

Some can't read though.:emoticon-0136-giggl

FORZA LEEDS and ellandback like this.
  17. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Ah... that was me. <laugh>

Don't read too much in to that Shako. I was just balancing it out a bit. We (as all football fans do) always hype up the new signings and hope they turn out to be Raphinha type players. If they don't hit the ground running then it's only a couple of games before the criticism starts (Ortas fault, what is Radz doing, Marsch/Bielsa signings are **** etc).

Example. It was blatantly obvious to everyone that Dan James is all pace and no idea as that's how he has looked all his career. When we signed him he was a "worldy" who scum had mismanaged, "wait until Bielsa gets his hands on him" and even a "Leeds legend in the making!". When he started to play with all pace and no idea the criticism starts. It shouldn't have been a shock.

I was just trying to dampen expectations a bit for the three lads coming in. Aaronson looks fit as a butchers dog, can pick a pass, presses well and his support play looks decent. However, he is inconsistent, very lightweight and is coming to a harder level which is physically very demanding.

Roca looks a real technical player. Good touch, excellent passer, good decision maker. His downside is he is physically weak and is quite slow. Remind you of Klich a bit? He's coming for 12 million. He isn't going to be anywhere near Phillips level. He will be fighting with Forshaw for a place.

Kristensen is a physical specimen. Great athlete. He looks a little clumsy to me but his size gets him through it. I think the guy may become a cult hero among the fans.

I didn't mean to be over critical. Just wanted to dampen the expectations a little. The plus side was I got a little reaction out of Wakey who ferociously defends everything Marsch does which cheered me up immensely that day. :emoticon-0148-yes:

18. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yup!!!

19. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't drool (usually)

Irishshako likes this.
  20. milkyboy

i’m not anti-bielsa Shaks, he was brilliant for us. Agree there is some ott criticism of him on here. But there is also some blind love for him.

Frankly the idea that is getting peddled (more elsewhere than here than here tbf, but WJ gave me the opportunity) that bielsa waved his magic wand and made Phillips. And as soon as bielsa leaves, kp returns to being that average championship player… is very much cult of bielsa stuff and worthy of ridicule imho.

Phillips was just 22 when bielsa came. He’d have improved to some degree under anyone, but who knows to what level. But Bielsa greatly accelerated that improvement as a player, got him super fit but most importantly bielsa’s system had a perfect position for his attributes which bielsa recognised. It’s very good management All round. So I don’t disagree that Phillips owes a huge debt to bielsa.

But the idea that kp then reverts to what he was without bielsa suggests he’s forgotten everything he learnt or never actually ‘learnt’ anything In the first place. Which is… well… a bit ridiculous… and actually insulting to bielsa. He’s a great coach who improves players. This all implies that it’s just temporary and really all about an extra fitness session every day. You or I could get kalvin to do a few extra sit ups (if we asked him nicely <laugh>) … and if city decide he’s carrying too much timber you can be sure they’ll address it.

ristac and ellandback like this.