1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 16th June)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 16, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But which is which?

It would be very stereotypical to assume the Irishman is the hitman!

2. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Really well put pal. Bielsa put Leeds back on the map, but he would have cost us our Premier League status had he stayed on. Some of the decisions he made in the last nine months of his tenure were suicidal.

3. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

<applause><applause><applause><applause>

Irishshako likes this.
  4. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Fair enough Emu, I actually wasn't aiming my comments at you, it just a general observation. TBH I just wanted to give the newbies a chance. I'm not one to over analyse players strenghs and weaknesses. I support the team, moan if we lose, happy if we win or draw and get pissed, then forget about it and move onto the next match. I'm a simple man, support Leeds Utd, Rock n Roll and drink loads of ale.<party>

Jammy 07 and NostradEmus like this.
  5. Irishshako

I can't confirm or deny that Elland, just a wild guess on my part. Although I bet you get a semi when you're about to sell a semi.<laugh>

Whitejock and Jammy 07 like this.
  6. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

Yes Citeh do, good luck to em, oh and thanks for the dosh from the ragheads

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  7. Irishshako

Again Milky I wasn't saying that you were anti Bielsa and like I say I've moved on. Regarding Philips only time will tell. Personally I think he's mixing with the wrong people now, his head has been turned and he believes in all the hype. Although some people call it ambition moving to city(if he does) but I don't think it is ambitious to join a side with a bottom less pit of money, more or less guaranteed to win something and a club whose bench could probably compete to a lesser degree with the first team in the Premier. <ok>

southernwhite and OLOF like this.
  8. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think Bielsa purely found the perfect role to match his skill set, he spotted it quickly. Yes he improved him but it was more playing him in a position that suited him and extracting those skills he already had. Players who arrived under Bielsa who had already reached full potential failed to improve any further, Rodrigo, Llorente, Firpo spring to mind even Raphinha.

That first season under Bielsa when we came out and destroyed Stoke and Derby, we all wondered if we were dreaming. On reflection no coach in the world could make such a drastic change in 4-6 weeks. No coach could improve a group of players skills in that one preseason. It was more spotting how a group of 11 could play as a team and play to each ones individual strength.

Bielsa also helped the rest of that Championship squad, he didn’t just help KP. I said long ago Phillips will be easier to replace in a non Bielsa squad, Bamford will be too.

I agree with you, KP was on the upward curve no matter what, every previous coach was already playing him in the starting 11 (to the disgust of a few), it’s KPs reading of the game that will be missed. Nobody knows if KP would have improved equally to the same level without Bielsa but he’s still first choice for England and Pep is no fool so anyone who suggests he’ll lose his skill without Bielsa is mistaken

I always said I’d rather have one good £50m player than 5 average £10m players. I’m content with the three so far, they’re unknown in regards to how they’ll fit into the PL but I’d still rather keep KP and Raphinha

For me the test will come on the signings we make once they’ve left the building. Have we signed quality or are we all going to be complaining about carrying too much dead wood.

I’ll forever be grateful to Bielsa for what he did for us both on the playing field and as a club, it was time for change, he shouldn’t though be seen as a magician who’s taken his magic wand with him.

I do think a few might have to manage there expectations though, like I said I’m content with the three signings but do any of them excite me, no.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  9. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Does it come off in his hand, when it's a detached <whistle>

10. Irishshako

<laugh>:emoticon-0119-puke: trust you to lower the mood:grin:

Gessa likes this.

11. Irishshako

He got his place in the Champ IMO because he didn't have much competition and to be fair Ristac no one really knows if under different coaches that he'd have got to where he is now. But TBH if he does go to city, any player would find it easy to fit in because of the quality around them.<ok>

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  12. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

you might be right with the crowd he mixes with. If Grealish has helped tap him up it’s just one more reason to despise the cheating, diving cnut.

Whitejock, ristac and Irishshako like this.
  13. milkyboy

spot on ristac.

Bielsa ‘s greatest contribution was making the whole greater than the sum of the parts which is good management

If raph and kp both depart it will be interesting to see how we judge marsch when vic has replaced our star players with those with ‘potential’ as seems to be the plan. It seems likely we’ll have a stronger depth of squad but one missing its elite players.

NostradEmus and ristac like this.
  14. Irishshako

<laugh> we agree on something. :emoticon-0105-wink:

15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

For me Milky I will judge Marsch on the first 16 games up to the WC break. Bielsa got 4 weeks and he transformed the whole club and style of play. 4 weeks to make Leeds everyones 2nd fav team to watch. We played the best football the club have played since Revie.

Marsch got 12 games, plus almost 5 weeks of no football due to international breaks and he is now getting a whole pre season and his own players. If he cant get it sorted by the end of October, for me hes toast

16. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

For me so far we have replaced Klich and Forshaw and have solved the problem at RB regarding Dallas switching flanks. We’re slightly stronger until one of the £50m men leave. Transfer activity going forward will be the make or break for me

Whitejock, Irishshako and Jammy 07 like this.
  17. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Sorry that was meant to read “better than being down with the dead men” i.e. in the championship.

Irishshako and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  18. milkyboy

... said loads of times that you can’t judge him on emergency measures at the end of last season. It’s pretty much irrelevant.

Full pre-season and up to the wc break, is different story. Let’s see how we’re looking then. <cheers>

People need to set realistic expectations though. We were in a relegation fight all season and only avoided it on the last day of the season. Mid table obscurity is real progress. I get the sense so many are waiting for marsch to fail… we’ll need to see what players we get and what players we lose… but what is acceptable to people for the first half of the season?

Frankly I’m a bit bored of this ‘bielsa transformed us in 6 weeks’ talk… like that’s the benchmark for every manager and if we don’t come out blazing guns in august they must be a failure.

Different league, lots of new players to integrate, likely missing our two best players from last two seasons.

Bielsa also transformed us from mid table premier league to relegation fodder in 6 weeks last summer <laugh><laugh>

Results obviously matter, but I just want to see us outside the relegation zone and playing a brand of football that looks capable of competing in the league.

19. milkyboy

wouldn’t disagree. The concern with the strategy is it seems likely we’ll have a lot of players new to the league. Some come in and hit the ground running… for a lot of players though, the pace and physicality of the PL takes a lot of getting used to… and some never adapt. Let’s hope Victor and Jesse have done their homework.

NostradEmus likes this.