1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 17th June)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 17, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Thursday 17h June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds in 'advanced talks' over 40m swoop

The Yorkshire Evening Post are reporting on rumours that Leeds are in advanced talks, and ready to break the bank to bring Wolves forward Adama Traore to Elland Road this Summer for a reported 40m.”. The 25yo power house endured an indifferent season last term; registering just two assists and netting twice in 29 appearances, nine of those from the bench!

However, his immense speed, power and exceptional skill levels would not only give Leeds extra options going forward, but can you imagine when Raphinha and Traore both click into gear? We also know that Victor Orta is a massive fan of the former Barca starlet, once describing him as 'the most exciting talent in Spanish football'.

Is Traore the right kind of player for Leeds? Is 40m too much of a gamble? Will his body mass have a detrimental impact on his game as he gets older?

please log in to view this image

Leeds prioritise 55,000 ER over new training ground

Leeds have scrapped plans to move their training ground from Thorp Arch to the former Matthew Murray (school) site. They will instead press forward with arrangements to improve, and increase the attendance to Elland Road to 55,000.

Thorp Arch has been Leeds training ground since the days of Howard Wilkinson, and has offered first class facilities. Due to the clubs financial meltdown, Leeds had to sell their facilities, and have been renting TA ever since. The plan was to build a new state of the art training facilities close to the City Centre, and within a stones throw of Elland Road, but it makes more financial sense to increase the capacity from 37,500 to circa 55,000.

A spokesman for Leeds County Council director of city development to the council's executive board said:

"Following the promotion of LUFC to the Premier League and the club securing investment from the San Francisco 49ers', the club have reviewed their stadium development ambitions and want to preserve their ability to deliver an expanded 55,000-seater stadium at Elland Road, as opposed to a 50,000 seat capacity previously agreed."

It has not been revealed when they hope to start building work!

Bielsa's contract is a formality - Kinnear

During an interview on BBC Radio Leeds, Whites managing Director Angus Kinnear has revealed that Marcelo Bielsa will be staying at Elland Road next season, and the paperwork is 'just a formality'. Since arriving at LS11 in the Summer of 2018, the Argentine has chosen to commit by signing one year extensions. Last season, the paperwork was not signed until the eve of the new season; not because he was trying to renegotiate a better deal, but he doesn't like paperwork!

Kinnear was quoted as saying:- "Marcelo decided not to return home to Argentina this summer. Some of his coaching staff have. “He wanted to stay at Elland Road, he wanted to prepare, he wanted to work with Victor and I on the transfer window and oversee, to the training ground director's delight, the training ground work that took place. As normal with Marcelo, putting pen to paper he sees as an irrelevance. It's really emotionally and psychologically where he is.

He's certainly with Leeds United for the next season. “We agreed the terms several weeks ago, several months ago perhaps. The measure we use within the club is whether he is engaged, is he working on next season. “He is, he's working and is incredibly diligent. I'm not sure there's any other manager in the Premier League who is taking no time off and is not leaving the training ground. That shows his commitment. I'm treating the contract as a formality.”

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    foolee, Whitejock and Marcos Barber like this.
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

On Bielsa you just have to admire his commitment and Diligence. I think he is probably the greatest coach in the world and can understand why Pep and Poch think so. Always remember Victor Orta saying: “i know football and can discuss football with anyone, but sometimes Marcelo leaves me and we argue and it gets heated but then you think about his point and admit defeat. You have to remember Marcelo approaches everything in life from an academic viewpoint. He breaks everything down into parts and inspects then amends and puts back together differently. If Marcelo is a doctor he cures cancer, if a politician he solves world hunger, if a diplomat he wins Nobel Prize”

Adama Traore took the place of Costa at Wolves and we paid £17m plus a loan fee for him. Anyone think that Traore is worth over twice as much as Costa? Costa scored more goals and got more assists than Traore last season, but Costa was a disappointment. If Bielsa wants him he must have a plan, thats all I can say, but until anything concrete happens it stays as clickbait for me

southernwhite and hemase like this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Wonder if we now have a plan to buy back TA otherwise why are we spending big bucks on developing it again. I wonder if the Matthew Murray stuff was all part of bluffing the owners of TA and showing them their cash cow was about to end and they should try and get planning permission for building houses. Working with the council who agreed a 50,000 capacity for ER and then agreeing 55,000 now after refusing planning permission at TA? Leeds buy TA back at a good price…….

foolee, Whitejock, hemase and 2 others like this.
  4. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Kinnear saying it's a 'formality' that Bielsa will sign is seriously tempting fate.

Irishshako likes this.
  5. FORZA LEEDS

I think we rent TA for around £2m per year. Increasing the capacity of ER by an extra 5,000 on top of the original 50,000 would bring in around £4m extra per season so makes sense.

ristac likes this.
  6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Agreed and the work carried out there since Bielsa is significant and this Summer with a couple of pitches being relaid to match the new surface at ER will cost a lot of cash. Running track last Summer, sleeping pods, medical centre, data analysis unit, swimming pool been brought back to life. All this would be wasted, but now seems to make sense. One other point would be the academy players who are in digs in the TA area. We would have had to find local families in Holbeck/Beeston area for the kids……. Better off where they are I would suggest and not as many distractions in Boston Spa :emoticon-0103-cool:

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This is the best big reveal video so far this Summer

ellandback and Aski like this.
  8. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

With that shovelling action, wonder if Buffon helped dig up the Elland Road turf

Doc likes this.
  9. ellandback

Forum Moderator

I believe the Matthew Murray site has more been put on hold than cancelled. The Council are very keen for LUFC to go ahead in the near future as it be also be a big community project.

Bielsa is keen for the training ground to be closer to ER. Its a 30 minute drive currently.

10. FORZA LEEDS

Typical estate agent inflating figures ell <whistle>

] Barnaway leased the facility back to the club for twenty-five years, with the club due to pay annual rent of approximately £430,000, rising 3% each year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2021

11. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

There's already new-build mansions built within 10yds of the TA pitches. Another new big estate has just expanded the housing there. There will be no problem getting planning permission for more housing there, imo.

Doc likes this.
  12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Lovely duel aspect from south facing rooms…. :emoticon-0127-lipss

ellandback and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

14. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

OLOF and Doc like this.
  15. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Had a quick look at NN to give me a chuckle before I head dahn saff for the match. Apparently Juventus reckon they can get Phillips for £25m. I'll be chuckling all the way down the road.

Signing off for a few days. If I do post - ignore. I'll be legless. Yee-ha! :D

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Alioski doing well again so far today, but we also get to see Ruslan Malinovski who is running the show so far for the Ukraine side. Malinovski is a player linked to Leeds for the last 2 tranny windows and you can see why, but also interested to see young Elmas again, Alioski’s team mate

17. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

Those mansions are allocated for the new doctors, architects lawyers etc arriving on the South Coast WJ, im sure the locals will make them welcome:emoticon-0105-wink::emoticon-0148-yes:

FORZA LEEDS and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

North Macedonia are now getting killed by Malinovski with Ukraine now 2-0 up. Nothing from Alioski or Elmas this last half hour

19. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Been impressed by the Ukraine. Such a shame about North Macedonia's defence.....

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Ukraine 2-1 N. Macedonia (Alioski) 30 minutes to go