1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 13th April)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 13, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Tuesday 13th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Klopp cautious of ER encounter

Red's Manager Jurgen Klopp believes his Liverpool team face a daunting prospect when they visit Elland Road next Monday evening. Speaking at his post match press conference, following a late win against Aston Villa, the German Manager said the following:-

"Hopefully we’ve turned it around," "But we have tough opponents coming up with their own targets. We have Real Madrid, of course, but then in the league we play Leeds and I think everybody who saw them fighting today against Man City knows that it is not a walk in the park.

"It will be a tough one; I think they are leading in all physical stats in the league, so that means if you want to get something there you have to do a lot and that’s what we will do. For the moment, it feels great and that we turned the game around feels even better."

please log in to view this image

Cascarino - Team now defend with a more cohesive structure

Former Republic of Ireland International, now TalkSport pundit, Tony Cascarino has hailed Leeds for their defensive improvements of late. The former Chelsea star believes that the entire squad has brought into Bielsa's philosophy at the club.

"To a man, Bielsa has improved every player. I remember watching Dallas at Brentford, where he was a tidy wide player in a decent League One side. Now he is the driving midfield force in a top-half Premier League team,"

"I spoke to Liam Cooper, the Leeds centre back, last week and he said that if they could play this way for a 46-game season in the Championship, then why not for a Premier League campaign with eight fewer matches?

"They have certainly improved defensively. Illan Meslier, the goalkeeper, is looking more confident and commanding with every match and the team now defend with a more cohesive structure. Since losing 4-2 away to Arsenal in February, they have conceded only seven goals in eight matches.

"It is clear that the players fully buy into what Bielsa is trying to achieve. How often do you see midtable teams take their foot off the pedal at this stage of the season when they have nothing to play for? "There is no way a player in a Bielsa team could be 'on the beach'. For Leeds, simply improving and building in advance of next season is achievement enough."

Is Llorente making the difference

Diego Llorente must have been wondering whether switching from Real Sociedad to Elland Road was the right decision. The 27yo had to wait until December to receive his long awaited debut. This was due mainly to an ankle injury he picked up on International duty with Spain.

He made his first appearance at Stamford Bridge. Koch injured his knee in the opening five minutes. This would rule the German International out for the next three months after undergoing surgery. To make matters worse, Llorente was unable to finish the game too. The muscle injury that had kept him sidelined since September had reoccurred. This same injury came back to haunt the Spaniard during his comeback match against the Newcastle U23's.

He finally overcame his ailment, and has been a regular in the starting team sheet since 27th February. He lost his first two games against Aston Villa and West Ham, but since then, has been instrumental in guiding the Whites into the top half of the table.

2. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Morning Elland. I hate this long wait for the next game. <wah>

3. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Morning guys.

bucks_is_leeds and Irishshako like this.
  4. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

At least we've a Rhinos game midweek...<ok>

oldschool, NostradEmus and ristac like this.
  5. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Morning all so good to be out of
    “Prison”
    Would be good to beat Liverpool and Man U <laugh><laugh>

Irishshako and southernwhite like this.
  6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

Sheffield U, Fulham, Man City, Liverpool, Man U - I wanted 7 points, I hoped for at least 6 points, I expected 5-6 points so sitting on 9 I’m already well into “anything else is a bonus”.

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I know we get a lot of transfer crap from our media but they are excelling this time with prices for UK players.

Ryan Kent will be for sale but at £25m starting price
    Ivan Tony £35m starting price
    Emiliano Buendia is now £40m

No wonder Victor now does his shopping in France or anywhere else where common sense rules

FORZA LEEDS, Infidel and Irishshako like this.
  8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I know some think I have a thing about slagging off Roberts, but this from Beren Cross is exactly what some saw against City, and especially the way Fernadino and Stones were cruising through our middle.

Roberts frustrates Bielsa

Before the joy and ecstasy of the second half and altered game plans, Tyler Roberts was drawing all of Marcelo Bielsa’s frustrations while it was 11 vs 11.

On three separate occasions in the first 25 minutes, Bielsa was visibly annoyed by what Roberts was, or was not, doing.
    As early as the seventh minute, Bielsa called goalkeeping coach Marcos Abad to the touchline so he could translate his instructions for the Wales international. Abad punched his palm to reinforce the need for Roberts to show more intensity, bite and pressure on Manchester City as they built their attacks from the back Only three minutes later, Bielsa smacked his knees in frustration on the touchline as he watched Fernandinho, not for the first time, ghost past Roberts like he’ wasn't there.Then in the 23rd minute, as City broke away from a failed Leeds United attack, Bielsa was angry with how slowly Roberts and Patrick Bamford were coming back to help defend and threw his arms up in the air.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I’m not a fan of Roberts but I do see an improvement in him. In fairness, Fernandinho ghosts past better players than Roberts. If Raphinha played in an A vs B team in practice I’d expect him to be able to ghost past him as well. Sometimes you just have to accept that the guy who you’re up against has a better bag of tricks and skill sets than you.

Aski likes this.
  10. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

What about Stones then who ghosted through loads of times? Was it Roberts’ job to stop him? Or Bamford’s (first half)

Seems Roberts doesn’t have the stamina for the system and has to pace himself.

NostradEmus, Irishshako and Doc like this.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The bald geordie Shearer has chosen his team of the week and he has Bielsa as manager and Llorente and Dallas in the 11

12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The big question mate if you want to have an improved team next season, will Roberts get better and better or has he reached his peak. If this is as good as it gets he aint making it. Hes now played around 70 times for Leeds and I can remember 2 good performances last season and maybe 3 recently

SIDDAS likes this.
  13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Peeing myself

Waiting for Champions League games so started watching non football by England ladies. 2 minutes gone and a goal down. This isnt football! At least under Phil Neville he was using players who could do a bit of something that looked like football, but hes now told them to fk off and gone to manage Beckhams team. The idiot whos managing England is also picking the side for the Olympics god help us oh and the female Canada coach was actually Nevilles assistant. And remember he and his assistant got to world and European finals

normal crowd for a women's match........ as no fans

sexist or realist

Whitejock and Irishshako like this.
  14. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Maybe. Dallas was interviewed on talkSPORT breakfast yesterday and said it was a definite tactic (certainly from half time) from Bielsa to let their centre backs bring the ball out rather than let their more creative midfielders have the possession and when we could attack at pace with behind them when they were high up the pitch. Think of the Dallas goal and the Raphina chance.

15. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No idea mate, I didn’t see the game, I’m just picking up on Beren Cross and his comments about Roberts and Fernandinho. I’m not a fan of Roberts, I’d love us to sign a better player but he often keeps Rodrigo and even Pablo/Klich out so I’d not be sure Bielsa is about to replace him.

As above mate, I believe we need better but don’t put money on Bielsa not starting him next season

16. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

My look at it with Roberts is if we want to be a top 6 side Roberts is not our man.
    He wouldn't get on any bench in the current top 10. Probably a few other sides also.
    Got nothing against the lad. he tries and gives his best but we playing with the big boys now.
    He doesn't score enough for me. even in the Championship.
    He's started 75 Games and come from the bench 29 times and has 7 goals.
    0.9 goals per game ratio. worst stat from our Attacking players.
    Yes he was part of the squad in getting us up and has warmed our bench this season. now has got in chance in the side but it's only with Rodrigo's Injuries and Match fitness along with Pablo falling out with the manager and seems his legs have gone.
    Had a couple of decent games in his latest spell but not enough for anyone to honestly say "wow keep hold of him for next season."
    He's a honest lad, been loyal to us and gives 100%
    but seriously hand on heart how many people on here think he's still going to break through and be a regular in our first 11?
    To me he's been here long enough and will always be a squad player at best.
    I really hope he proves me wrong and goes on a scoring/Assist spree till the end of the season. but, the stat's say he won't and I've seen enough of him to believe it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Whitejock and wakeybreakyheart like this.