1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 29th November)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

It’s actually common sense <ok>

Leedsoflondon likes this.
  2. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Not often I’m told that <laugh>

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  3. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I’m fine with alternative perspectives - I’m just still waiting for the alternative master plan that doesn’t involve richer owners.

As far as I can see, if the plan involves selling no one it therefore means buying no one or no one of note - which would mean the same team as last year but a little bit older, until your better players leave for free and the old championship players get ever older and knackered. So you’re left hoping your kids are good enough. Which they most likely won’t be (or enough of them soon enough) so looks like a recipe for relegation.

So until someone tells me how the alternative plans work- for me selling 2 to buy 6 thus strengthening the squad is the sensible option. Infact the only option.

Appreciate sellling to richer owners, is the other alternative that many would like.

4. Eireleeds1

Your last line is the obvious solution and will eventually happen. Just a case of how many years of selling Crown Jewels will happen before we get an owner with the resources to operate properly in the pl

5. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

You’re right of course, it’s very difficult. But you’re assuming the six you buy are all first team and premier league ready so make the squad / team stronger. My point is that is a gamble every time. I guess the only alternative is to sell more of the fringe players and try to buy better quality. Players are more inclined to stay if they see good players join. I fully accept your point though but do we want to be the next Burnley until our luck runs out? Which won’t be long if everyone is right about Orta’s talents.

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  6. Eireleeds1

Problem with selling the fringe players is we’ll get nothing for them so financially a waste of time. It’s our two or three quality players that will be always sold on. Ridiculous nonsense

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    Doc likes this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Think the much praised Leicester model meant selling one player per season for big money and buying 2 or 3 players with huge potential. On top of that though we need to decide if Forshaw, Cooper, Ayling, Dallas and Klich are good enough or do they improve the team by staying, not much cash coming in for them but a big reduction in wages :emoticon-0148-yes:

8. Eireleeds1

It’s a balancing act Doc and as mentioned elsewhere only needs a couple of crap deals to send us down. We’ve been lucky this summer with all signings being a success

Doc likes this.
  9. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I’m not assuming it will work, it is inherently risky… was just using this summer as an example. But the reality is at those proportions you probably need a 1 in 3 hit rate to tread water… and better than that to make progress. Which means you need a better than average dof to get the players and a better than average manager to get the best from them.

Now whether we have that?… that’s a conversation for another day.

As I’ve said, what’s the alternative strategy… without having richer owners? There isn’t one. So whilst these guys are here, it’s pretty pointless complaining about their recruitment strategy if you don’t have a better one. Whether the 49ers will splash the cash or some sheikh comes in? It’s a different matter.

And I’m not sure there’s much merit in complaining that the owners haven’t sold to a rich Arab. They sure as hell would given the chance.

It is what it is <cheers>

10. Eireleeds1

An extra 100m invested between rads and 49ers after our first season back in pl could have moved us to the next level. Would have also shown ambition maybe to players maybe looking at us but instead they messed it up

Doc likes this.

11. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Looking at the bigger picture though Eire we’re already at the next level compared to where we were only four years ago. Patience required from now on to consolidate and hopefully push on.

12. Eireleeds1

I guess we’ll be better able to assess that in May. If we’ve done better than two seasons back then we’ll be progressing

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

That £100m extra should have been last summer for our 2nd season in the Prem, but we spent £13m on Firpo and finalised the Harrison deal. We gambled and it was a bad mistake because we were then hit by the worst injuries ever. Just imagine having a few more bodies last season. Bielsa would have still been with us until he left of his own accord. Marsch would have taken over this summer and brought his players in?

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And signed James, including the reserve keeper I think we spent close to £65m and for another consecutive season sold nobody of value

wakeybreakyheart likes this.