1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 5th May)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 5, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg Good Morning. It's Monday 5th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Do Leeds need another striker

Patrick Bamford has not found the back of the net since mid March, and although the 27yo has netted an impressive 14 goals in his first top flight (full) season, 10 of those came from the first fifteen games of the season.

Nobody can fault Bamford's efforts. In fact, he is one of the hardest workers in the top flight. Whether his supply route gets blocked, or gets crowded out in the penalty box, his effectiveness is starting to drop. What has also become apparent recently, is lack of support up front. We have become used to watching Leeds attacking en mass - over the last few games, we have not seen this!

Leeds have produced 708 crosses (into the box) this term. This can only be bettered by Liverpool (753). The accuracy of Leeds crosses is 21%. This may seem low, but it is higher than Liverpool and Manchester City.

Bamford had fifteen touches of the ball against Brighton, before he was substituted on the hour mark. Would you like to see Leeds play with two forwards? (I'm not counting Rodrigo. By his own account, he is not an out and out goal scorer).

please log in to view this image

Aguero linked to ER move again

Sergio Aguero has once again been mentioned in the tabloids, regarding a move across the Pennines. The record breaking forward turns 33 in the Summer. As there would be no fee to pay, should Leeds break their salary banding to bring the Argentine to Elland Road? Would Aguero be able to keep up with Bielsa's fitness regimes?

Will the youngsters be given an opportunity to shine?

Joe Gelhardt and Sam Greenwood have both turned on the style for the U23's! Can they make the step up? Will they be given the opportunity to step up?

There is so much young talent at Thorp Arch, but will they ever get a chance to impress on the biggest stage of them all - Elland Road? We have learnt over the last 24 hours that Mateusz Bogusz (currently on loan at UD Logroñés) will spend next season at Legia Warsaw, and have an option to buy the 19yo. He was considered one of Leeds most exciting prospects, only 18 months ago.

Check out 16yo Ronnie McGrath. He broke into the Leeds u18's when just 15. He has recently completed the MOTD skills challenge. See how he got on:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56946979

Orta monitoring Dutch ace

The Telegraph have reported that Victor Orta is monitoring the progress of versatile forward Noa Lang. The Dutch U21 International has come through the ranks at Ajax, and is currently on loan at Club Brugge.

He has netted sixteen times this term, and recorded ten assists. Lang can play anywhere across the forward line. At the tender age of 21, he has a big future ahead of him!

Whitejock, Gessa and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  2. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Monday 5th May ???????????

Irishshako likes this.
  3. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

I personally think every position is up for grabs if the right player comes available. Everything can change in a flash as we also have to bat off bids on our own players.
    Phillips -Raphinha you know for certain are going to get interest and this interest will be top bracket interest.
    Even Bammers might get sounded out himself.
    Player power is here, if any player wants a move from any club it generally happens even if they on hefty long term Contracts. Contracts mean nothing these days apart from keeping a club healthy with a saleable asset.
    Aguero who knows what he could offer, but I don't think its our way we generally look at a younger player who we can improve. but sometimes players are to hard to turn down.
    I'm not a one for transfer speculation as every week we are linked to someone new. it does my head in. so I will leave that to you guys

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aguero will not be coming to Leeds a) because hes too old. b) he will not be able to cope with Bielsaball and exactly why Pep has hardly played him when he has been fit. c) he will go to PSG or any number of top clubs in Europe.

Bielsa plays one brand of football and every player he selects must follow the role Bielsa has given him to the letter. Its like a complex jig-saw and each piece needs to fit or it doesnt work. Bamford is the ideal player for Bielsa but when the jig-saw fails, he fails. When the jig-saw works and Bamford fails he gets some leeway from Bielsa. No new striker of repute will come to Leeds to be back-up to Bamford so you would need to get an up and coming striker and why pay for one when you already have one in Gelhardt or Greenwood.

LeedsRover1 and Whitejock like this.
  5. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member

I'd love to see some on the youngsters given a chance by coming on as a sub but would probably only use one of them during a game though. It's made me think about how the reserve teams used to have a constant supply of players ready to fit in at a drop of a hat and dropping them wasn't a good thing in my eyes, as there seems to be a big gap inbetween the youngsters and first team at times. There again I was happy to see Struijk get his chance but he needs to be in the back four.

ristac and southernwhite like this.
  6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Bogutsz has a string of clubs wanting him on loan or willing to buy. The Legia Warsaw story has been around for two weeks now but different journos putting a different spin on it. My understanding is that Bogutsz isnt happy and has had a hard time in Spain and is demanding to come back to Leeds. Something happened as Bielsa didnt use him and he was sent out on loan even though Bielsa wanted him to stay? Bielsa has said he wants to send Bogutsz on loan to a Championship club next season. Warsaw want to buy him but Leeds dont want to sell, so Warsaw want to loan him, but believe Leeds wont do that because they want to keep an eye on his progress in England. Bogutsz needs to feel a bit of love or could demand to leave this Summer

From being the new superstar kid a couple of seasons ago where he was taken to Australia with the first team and was getting rave reviews for the U23s as a 17yo, he went backwards for some reason and then loaned out? Lots of decisions to be made about our kids this Summer

7. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Are you surprised...<laugh>

8. Irishshako

Got to say I'm sick of hearing about Bamfords 14 goals he's scored. Grateful as I am for his contribution, you are only remembered for your last goal and that's been a while. You can only dine out on those goals for so long.<ok> I a wait the back lash.<yikes>

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Whitejock, southernwhite and Doc like this.
  9. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

I've always been a big fan of Bamford, even when he's not scoring regularly he would usually put himself about and be a real nuisance to the opposing defence and be involved in our own defensive duties too. But I have to say he does seem to have gone missing recently.

southernwhite and Irishshako like this.
  10. Irishshako

Don't get me wrong Dirty, I'm not having a major go at him because as you say he does a lot of hard work. I just get wound up everytime he has a blank day at the office that the 14 goals are mentioned. Now I appreciate Bielsa is dictating how he wants him to play, but I do think we need an out and out goal scorer. At least to take a bit of pressure off his shoulders.<ok>

11. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Afternoon all,

If Aguero wanted to come, if Afguro was happy to take sensible wages and if Aguero was happy to play back up to Bamford then I think he would be just the right player to sign on a one year contract and be that player we bring on to change things if needed.

But that is a lot of if's none of which I can see happening. Therefore it is a non starter for me.

12. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

I will add that I would love to see Aguero in a Leeds shirt. I think he could be that impact player we all wanted Pablo to be this season. But I still don't think it will happen.

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Cannot fault your views but I come back to Bielsa and the way he wants his front man to work. It could be Aguero, Zlatan, Messi Ronaldo or Mbeppe they would be on the bench. So best we either sack Bielsa or get behind his choice of striker?

14. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

He is plainly not fit and carrying an injury.

FORZA LEEDS and Whitejock like this.
  15. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

I would sign a striker and put bamford at 10.roberts could be sold and rodrigo left to fight for a place as he has not earned the shirt yet. Paddy is a good smart footballer and an asset to bielsa ball. Sign two mids /left back and spare goalie. We need some faster players who can score more goals. Dallas and rodrigo on the bench and some u23s stepping up.

16. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

This back lash - is it the Mot that'll deliver it, or do you get someone in a PVC suit to get laid in to you? <whistle>

Marcos Barber and Irishshako like this.
  17. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Oh I agree it is most likely that Ageuro would not fit under Bielsa.

18. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Possible strikers (realistic) and similar in style who would give Bamford healthy competition for his place:

Wellbeck (not a popular choice because of his previous connections but cheap)

Ings (maybe too expensive)

Doc and ristac like this.
  19. Irishshako

Glad you're so forgiving WJ....<laugh>

Whitejock likes this.
  20. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I'd just see who Brentford try and get to replace Toney and outbid them.