1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The manager situation

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, May 11, 2014.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Varying views on B and A about whether Jackson will be announced as manager this week - I would have thought the longer it went on the less likely it will be him. Has anyone heard anything about interviews (names such as Edinburgh, Appleton and Brown/Coughlan have been mentioned though the latter seems extremely unlikely due to the play-offs). The club really needs to get this sorted very soon so vital decisions can be made on player retention and recruitment. The consequence of a lack of decisive action now is that we will continue the slide well into next season.

2. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

Not heard anything at all apart from the B&A stuff, which is very odd. One thing's for sure, though, and that is that I hope we keep someone on who knows the squad so we can sort out the bloomin' retained list!

3. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If Jackson had secured it I would've thought it would have been announced by now. So I would assume interviews have occurred. Whether they have contacted previous applicants or have targeted an existing manager and it remains quiet until season closure will remain to be seen.

Mickey Adams has supposedly been approached by a club yet claims he wants to stay at Vale, however doesn't seem to like elements of the vale support.

4. greenhousmeadowman

Shropshire Star and Radio Shropshire reporting Micky Mellon to be in advanced talks to be new manager. Thoughts anyone? Will Jackson stay on? The Blackpool connection rules!

5. tinned hats

tinned hats Member

welcome... mick

6. Matster

Forum Moderator

Tinned Hats, what are your thoughts on him? Is he the type of manager you wanted?

7. Matster

Forum Moderator

Well we have a new manager. I cant seem to see any mention of contract length for him. Don't know much about him bar he did well with Fleetwood so lets hope he can gain a L2 promotion for us.

I'm guessing we will see several players coming in from lower leagues mixed with some solid experience players

8. Matster

Forum Moderator

9. tinned hats

tinned hats Member

Well...er no, i cant really understand the thought behind this appointment, he is very inexperianced and couldn't even get money bags Fleetwood out of L2 with Andy Pilleys bottomless pit of cash, and after having signed most of the better players in that league too...i expected us to go with a more conservative type manager who has had fairly reasonable success on a low budget.....but for sure i will expect him to raid the lower leagues for players instead of getting other clubs casts off on loan here....and probably thats a way forward..so we will have to wait and see...its a big risk, but it could pay off,but hand on heart, i dont expect him to finish the season with us....

10. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

One year rolling contract. Glad MJ and Coyne are being kept on to help add some knowledge and continuity to the set-up, especially with regards to the retained list, and I'm certainly not against the appointment. Don't really know a lot about him (although he did get them out of the conference and were going well in L2 when he was harshly dismissed) so I'll have an open mind. Much more positive vibe coming through now, though, with a good coach who knows the club in as assistant, someone who actually has managerial experience and isn't wanted out by half the fans as manager, a new highly-rated CEO on his way and Wildig confirming his extension to top it all off.

11. greenhousmeadowman

Lenny,
    Yes I agree that at least we will not have the negativity that we would have had if Jackson had stayed as manager. I think it is reasonable to keep him on as assistant - he was put in a very difficult position and did his best and no doubt will have benefitted from the experience. He will also be able to help Mellon with the retained list. I remember Mellon's Fleetwood as quite an attacking team and his non-league contacts could surely help us with recruitment in an area we have overlooked for far too long. Lets all get behind the new manager and look forward to establishing ourselves as a real force in League 2 next season.

12. Matster

Forum Moderator

Yep good news on Wildig.