1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Marvellous Malaysian Awards

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by El_Bando, Mar 30, 2015.

1. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Things are looking good all of a sudden.....Well played Bernie....Well played....

Best Driver:
    Worst Driver:
    Best Rookie (Nasr, Verstappen, Sainz):
    Best Team:
    Worst Team:

Best Overtake:
    Funniest-moment:
    Most Surprising Result:
    Least Surprising Result:

Special Mention to:
    Race Rating: /10

Best Broadcaster/Presenter:

2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Vettel - Without doubt has stumped the mighty merc
    Worst Driver: Rosberg was..... awful
    Best Rookie (Nasr, Verstappen, Sainz): Verstappen.
    Best Team: Ferrari
    Worst Team: Force India.

Best Overtake: Verstappen round the outside of the red bull, positioned him well for the next corner

Funniest-moment: Rosbergs face all weekend
    Most Surprising Result: Mercedes not as fast as we thought
    Least Surprising Result: Red Bulls problems are not Renault.

Special Mention to: a few:... Kimi for getting back to 4th, Manor for getting at least one car on the grid, Hamilton for a commanding pole over rosbergs attempted block

Race Rating: 8/10

Best Commentator/Presenter: BBC

3. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Vettel. So close to pole and then drove great race to make just two stops
    Worst Driver: Ericsson. Spins too often and looks out of his depth still in an F1 car. Only got points in Aus because of the rate of attrition and problems for others.
    Best Rookie (Nasr, Verstappen, Sainz): Verstappen.
    Best Team: Ferrari. Showing they really have improved and it's not just all pre-season bluster as normal.
    Worst Team: Force India. Too slow and drivers kept bumping into everyone.

Best Overtake: Bottas on Massa at the end
    Funniest-moment: Nico's radio messages. May as well have been asking someone else to drive the car for him he wanted so many instructions.
    Most Surprising Result: Ferrari sticking to Mercedes
    Least Surprising Result: Both McLaren's retiring

Special Mention to: F1. It ain't broke so don't try and fix it again.
    Race Rating: 7/10. It wasn't a titanic on track scrap for the lead, but racing through the field was pretty decent.

Best Broadcaster/Presenter. Don't care anymore.

4. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Vettel, but Verstappen deserves more than a mention here.
    Worst Driver: Ericsson was looking pretty sporty then had the lamest DNF possible! Just kind of limped off the track. Nasr was a let down too, slow all weekend, punctured Kimi, had to 4 stop.
    Best Rookie (Nasr, Verstappen, Sainz): Both STRers looked sport, Verstappen this time.
    Best Team: Ferrari, perfect strategy and looking a refreshed team. Far less of a downer attitude.
    Worst Team: Force India probably, although Red Bull losing to their underlings is hardly clever.

Best Overtake: I'll let Bottas and Verstappen tie this.
    Funniest-moment: Rosbergs face, which will be mirroring that of the chronic Vettel haters of the internet :D
    Most Surprising Result: We saw Ferrari could do something on Friday so in a way not that. But... Ferrari
    Least Surprising Result: Rosberg podium.

Special Mention to: SRT, drivers and team. Kimi's recovery. Hamilton beating his main rival despite a disaster of a build up. Manor existing
    Race Rating: 7/10

Best Broadcaster/Presenter: Only saw short highlights.

5. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Vettel
    Worst Driver: Nasr was disappointing.
    Best Rookie (Nasr, Verstappen, Sainz): Max
    Worst Team: Manor - so far off the pace the director didn't even acknowledge Merhi's presence

Best Overtake: Bottas around the outside of Massa
    Funniest-moment: Most of the Mercedes team radio
    Most Surprising Result: Mercedes cock it up
    Least Surprising Result: The animals go in two by two hurrah, hurrah.

Special Mention to: Sainz did well, Kvyat beat his team-mate, Alonso would probably have gotten points if not for a mysterious car issue
    Race Rating: 6.5/10 - lots "happened" but nothing much occurred, if that makes sense

Best Broadcaster/Presenter: Edwards, I guess

6. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Vettel
    Worst Driver: Ericsson. Nasr was a let down too, no pace and ruined Kimi's race.
    Best Rookie (Nasr, Verstappen, Sainz): Verstappen this time.
    Best Team: Ferrari, perfect strategy and looking a refreshed team. Far less of a downer attitude.
    Worst Team: Pound for Pound Red Bull, although Sauber and FI were there aswell.
    Best Overtake:
    Funniest-moment:
    Button surprise Radio transmission about catching other cars, and a very rattled Merc camp - especially the drivers!
    Most Surprising Result: How bad RB are and Ferrari revival.
    Least Surprising Result: Rosberg podium.

Special Mention to: SRT, Kimi's recovery & Button's enthusiasm and optimism!

Best Broadcaster/Presenter: Brundle & Ted are good and informative but Sky's general production is so one sided it's becoming cringeworthy!

7. Max Whiplash

Max Whiplash Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Vettel - it looked easy, maybe wasn't but this was a significant victory so it can only be The Finger
    Worst Driver: Rosberg was weak, pitiful even when trying to pass inferior cars
    Best Rookie (Nasr, Verstappen, Sainz): I don't want to detract from Max but Sainz had a harder race and only ended up behind due to tired tyres. Anyway, they were both excellent.
    Best Team: Ferrari, no question
    Worst Team: Red Bull - the decline continues, bettered by the Renault-powered Toro Rosso. Whose fault now, Horner?

Best Overtake: Hamilton on Sainz
    Funniest-moment: Rosberg on team radio
    Most Surprising Result: Both Ferraris
    Least Surprising Result: McLaren's woes

Special Mention to: Unlucky Force Indias, they struggled manfully only to receive undeserved penalties

Best Broadcaster/Presenter: I think it was DC who was blaming pay-TV for declining viewers

8. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Vettel, flawless weekend
    Worst Driver: Ericsson was the only driver to end his own race, so he gets it for me.
    Best Rookie (Nasr, Verstappen, Sainz): Verstappen, great drive.
    Best Team: Ferrari, spot on strategy
    Worst Team: Based on expectations, Red Bull.

Best Overtake: Bottas on his teammate.
    Funniest-moment: Rosbergs cringeworthy "game on" podium interview, followed by the look Hamilton and Rosberg exchanged.
    Most Surprising Result: Vettel beating a mercedes
    Least Surprising Result: Rosberg rolling over and having his belly tickled.

Special Mention to: BLS is spot on "SRT, drivers and team. Kimi's recovery. Hamilton beating his main rival despite a disaster of a build up. Manor existing"
    Race Rating: 7/10

Best Broadcaster/Presenter: Ted Kravitz, everyone should see his starstruck conversation with Hulkenburg on his notebook.

9. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Vettel, Rosberg deserves a shout, being fastest all weekend but being caught out by the rain and safety car but Vettel edges him
    Worst Driver: Ericsson
    Best Rookie (Nasr, Verstappen, Sainz): Sainz, stupid amounts of bad luck in quali and only just lost to Verstappen in the race even though he started 9 places behind
    Worst Team: Manor, need to go home

Best Overtake:
    Rosberg on Grosjean
    Funniest-moment: Hamilton complaining on the radio because he loses is always funny!
    Most Surprising Result: Mercs beaten on pure pace for once!
    Least Surprising Result: double Merc podium

Special Mention to:
    Alonso, looking good for points before the car broke down!

10. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Do you mean Grosjean for the best overtake or someone else? The Grosjean one Grosjean outbreaked himself and Rosberg just drove through.

11. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

It might not have been on Grosjean, but I'm 99% sure I remember Rosberg going around the outside of someone at T10.

12. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Sure was memorable then, possibly lapping a Marussia? <whistle>

Anyway, let's not let that draw away from his superb bottling of Q3, followed by his meteoric rise through the field in the 2nd best car in the field (HAM's is better as Merc clearly favour him). I appreciate that was only just second best to Vettel's not bottling of Q3 and controlled drive to a victory ;).

cosicave likes this.
  13. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Best Driver Always difficult to separate the best driver from the best car, so Vettel an easy winner
    Worst Driver, Ericsson, by a Mercedes mile.
    Best Rookie Too hard, there were 3 of them.
    Best Team Toro Rosso
    Worst Team Red Bull
    Best Overtake Ferrari on Mercedes
    Funniest Moment Hamilton spitting the dummy
    Most surprising Mercedes problems with tyre wear, their drivers' petulance.
    Least surprising McLaren Honda , though they showed a big improvement. They will cause problems for other teams by seasons end.
    Special Mention Hamiltons Engineers who took no nonsense from his whingeing.
    Race Rating 7/10 Still too few teams that are competetive..

14. 51LV3R8RR04

51LV3R8RR04 Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Vettel, nailed both sat and sun

Worst Driver: Ericsson, how did you do that?

Best Rookie (Nasr, Verstappen, Sainz): Both Toro rosso guys out racing their 'elders' in red bull.

Best Team: Ferrari, nailed it bar Kimi in Qualifying

Worst Team: Again RBR, McLaren have an excuse. Was luck they even did that well in Australia.

Best Overtake: Bottas on Massa

Funniest-moment: Peter Sauber live on Sky: 'It's not easy to talk about all this ****'

Most Surprising Result: Vettel winning
    Least Surprising Result: Rosberg asking for driving advice on both days.

Special Mention to: Schumacher, hope he was watching that. And Kimi for a great recovery drive.

Best Broadcaster/Presenter: **** em

15. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Vettel - Perfectly executed weekend
    Worst Driver: Ericsson - I think I gave it to him last weekend too, truly dire
    Best Rookie: Verstappen - Really eye-catching performance, candidate for best driver overall. Sainz was excellent also. By the way, shouldn't Merhi be an option in this now?
    Best Team: Ferrari - In all ways. Not just because their performance was unexpected but because they were genuinely the quicker package this weekend.
    Worst Team: Red Bull - Not just for their poor performances, but for their lack of grace in losing.

Best Overtake: Bottas on Massa
    Funniest-moment: Ericsson's off
    Most Surprising Result: Ferrari
    Least Surprising Result: Hamilton pole

Special Mention to: Mercedes - I thought they were very gracious in defeat this weekend
    Race Rating: 8/10 - Could've been a classic if Hamilton had been able to make the tyres last long enough to finish on options, but a great race nonetheless. Interesting battle up front and some frantic stuff in the midfield.

16. PaulK

PaulK New Member

Best Driver: Vettel - Perfect to a finger.
    Worst Driver: Ericsson - What a muppet.
    Best Rookie: Verstappen - Put together a nice weekend with a couple of great overtakes.
    Best Team: Ferrari - Strategy. Drivers. Package. Team boss who is actually likeable.
    Worst Team: Manor - Without Caterham to fight with... pointless... hope they really are bringing a 2015 car at some point.

Best Overtake: Bottas on Massa was pretty tasty.
    Funniest-moment: Had to chuckle at Hamilton getting stressed, man.
    Most Surprising Result: No reliability niggles and Merc didn't win.
    Least Surprising Result: Bernie's insane ramblings over the course of the week.

Special Mention to: The heat for making it the ideal 2/3 stop race
    Race Rating: 7/10 - A much needed boost to the season... but if it wasn't for the fact that it was Ferrari doing it, it was a fairly routine and unchallenged victory.

DHCanary and Smithers like this.
  17. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Vettel.
    Worst Driver: Ericsson.
    Best Rookie: (Note to Bando: Eligible drivers should be updated) Verstappen.
    Best Team: Jointly, Ferrari and Toro Rosso.
    Worst Team: Jointly, Red Bull and Manor.

Best Overtake:
    For different reasons, I see this as a three way tie. Bottas v Massa for its points significance and pecking order statement within Williams; Verstappen v Ricciardo as a statement from a 'rookie'; and Hamilton v Sainz for sheer, comprehensive brilliance.
    Funniest-moment: It's never funny to see someone left out in the cold on a podium but it might be argued Rosberg has had it coming…
    Most Surprising Result: Although I'd suspected Ferrari to have a much better showing than in Melbourne, I did not think they would beat Mercedes.
    Least Surprising Result: Manor's complete inability to compete.

Special Mention to:
    Rosberg. If you want to retain respect within the paddock and with public alike, up your game right now!
    Race Rating: 8.5/10

No idea – but I will take this opportunity to reiterate my distaste for Crofter.

dhel and Max Whiplash like this.
  18. Max Whiplash

Max Whiplash Well-Known Member

Despite slagging him off quite a lot, I did feel for him after a while. At first I was enjoying Seb and Lewis having a friendly chat while Nico was acting all defiant during his interview but then I felt bad for him; it was awkward. It was a magnanimous gesture of EJ's to reach out at that point and put a hand on his shoulder.

dhel, cosicave and Smithers like this.
  19. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I second that! Well said Sir.

20. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

I completely agree. Very pleased to see that others sensed the awkwardness for Rosberg.
    Regardless of belief or sense of justification, my view is that understanding (in Rosberg's case, to some extent sympathising/empathising with) the human factor is very important. Regardless of his abilities as a driver, Rosberg is a very capable human being.